Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Q5 (details as per sig) and have noticed some strange noises which I can only describe as a slight "cluncking" noise when going over speed bumps, drives etc. It sounds as though something is engaging or possibly not.

Also when I turn off the ignition the engine seems to be winding down but with a slight screeching noise.

Any ideas??

As you may have gathered I am not mechanically minded so sorry for the poor description

·
Banned
842 Posts
Does the noise come on with turning the wheels?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I aassume you've check there is nothing loose or not bolted down in the car?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the noise come on with turning the wheels?
Sometimes it does, only really noticed it the other day when the radio was off and I went over a speed bump (very slowly)

Can't say I have noticed anything loose or not fastened down

·
Registered
289 Posts
The steering in mine clonks a little at low speed. I've assumed it's normal. I keep meaning to ask the dealer but it does not sound like a "bad" noise.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that sounds similar to mine

·
Registered
503 Posts
The steering in mine clonks a little at low speed. I've assumed it's normal. I keep meaning to ask the dealer but it does not sound like a "bad" noise.
Hmmm sounds like mine too, hope its not a sign of bad things to come :-(

I find when I back out of the garage I get an initial couple of 'clicks', then when I turn off the drive on a right lock I get a couple more clicks.

I did get more of a knock when I went up on the the drive yesterday which involves a left hand turn and a slight bump a the same time. Guess I will keep and eye on it.

I have only just done over 1200 miles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am going to an Audi day soon where there will be lots of Master Tech's and Audi UK people. I'll ask them about odd noises from the steering.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am going to an Audi day soon where there will be lots of Master Tech's and Audi UK people. I'll ask them about odd noises from the steering.
I will be very interested to hear how you get on.

Tonight I got my partner to listen and he said it was coming from low down on the offside wheel area and it was a really loud clonk tonight, very similar to how a worn out ball joint would sound

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the car into Bradford Audi this afternoon and technician confirmed something is wrong. The cluncking sound now happens when stationary and i move the steering wheel from side to side!

His initial thoughts are a heat shield c catching on something.

Going in next Tuesday so will update then.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am phoning Monday to get mine booked in.

Mine has got worse now, but still the only place I can replicate it is driving on/backing off my drive. Going over speed humps it doesn't do it, so I hope they can find out what it is. It sounds as though it could be something like an anti-roll bar loose or maybe the steering rack, but from the outside the noise is low down, but inside it really transmits into the car and I can hear what sounds like a worn wheel bearing sound once I get moving.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the car in yesterday and they have altered the position of the heat shield which seems to have cured the clucking noise. The screeching sound is still there when I switch off the ignition so it's going back in again.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Took the car in yesterday and they have altered the position of the heat shield which seems to have cured the clucking noise. The screeching sound is still there when I switch off the ignition so it's going back in again.
Good to hear you have one of your noises sorted. Do you know what heat shield was adjusted. One of my noises sounds like it could be a heat shield and he agreed.

Mine is in today to have the various clunks, creaks and groans looked at. I took the Master Technician out and managed to replicate all 4 different types of noises which was a relief. He thinks they will need it for a couple of days. I will report back when I know more.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I spoke with some Audi UK people at the weekend. The answer was "there is no generic fault" book your car in for investigation. So not a big help I'm afraid. I might book the car in but it's hard to replicate the very slight clonk in the steering. I'm wondering if I can feel it more than hear it TBH.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My SQ5 is in at the dealers at the moment to sort out vibrations/rattles. The job is not finished yet but they have established that the offside heat shield was at fault.

What is this and how is it rectified?

In addition, yesterday evening I was reversing into a parking slot and I caught a whiff of burning, rather like a burning clutch of yesteryear. Is there any connection with the heat shield or is this unrelated?

I am leaving them with the car until it is sorted.

ZED

·
Registered
503 Posts
My SQ5 is in at the dealers at the moment to sort out vibrations/rattles. The job is not finished yet but they have established that the offside heat shield was at fault.

What is this and how is it rectified?

In addition, yesterday evening I was reversing into a parking slot and I caught a whiff of burning, rather like a burning clutch of yesteryear. Is there any connection with the heat shield or is this unrelated?

I am leaving them with the car until it is sorted.

ZED
Interesting another heat shield fix. Audi phoned to say they have found my fault but are waiting to hear back from Germany and for some parts. The service guy who gave me the update didn't know exactly what the Master Tech had found, but will update me more tomorrow.

The burning smell could be your DPF regenerating. When I took mine down this morning after a run down on the motorway my car stunk of heat and the tail pipe was red hot and the exhaust was clicking like crazy. I always do the tailpipe test if I smell burning
Another tell tell sign is the cooling fan running after the car is shut off and the stop start disables itself... these are what I have discovered myself

·
Registered
289 Posts
The heat shields are positioned between the exhaust system and the bodywork with the intention of minimising heat soak into the cabin. Rectification should be a case of loosening the shield and moving it to a position where it does not foul the car body. It might be necessary to re-align the actual exhaust components as well so there is room for the shield between then and the car body. The burning smell could be the DPF regenerating. Or it could be the gearbox but given some other threads on here I'd say more likely the DPF. Mention it to the dealer and get it on the cars electronic history if nothing else.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks guys for your comments.

I will report back once sorted.

Is the DPF suppose to regenerate - I have done c 1100 miles?

Regards,

ZED

PS: It is useful to share experiences bad as well as good

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well I got my car back tonight with some good news and some not so good.

The clicking I had when manoeuvring was the heat shield which others had mentioned, so I am glad that has been sorted. They took it off, reshaped it and refitted. Apparently it was fouling the chassis with movement.

The second noise I had was a rubber on rubber squeaking which I could hear when the car was on a lock (either way) and like I suspected it was the driveshaft boots squeaking. This fault was in a service bullitin and is normal, maybe they have changed the compound in the material used so I am not worried about that now.

Unfortunately the worst noise, namely the clonking I get when turning onto our drive from the offside is, according to Audi DE, 'a characteristic' which I am not at all happy about, and the Master Tech agreed. Basically Audi DE got the Master Tech to take out other new facelift models and see if they had the same noise and bizarrely they did. One of the Salesman's car was much worse than mine and it only had 180 miles, so because they do they same thing its 'a characteristic'.

I said the noise has only developed in the last 3-4 weeks and has got progressively worse so it cannot be 'a characteristic'. The Master Tech is going to feed this information back to Audi DE and state that I am not at all happy at the outcome and will report back to me.

At least I know the car isn't dangerous to drive and hopefully something will get done about it. I was told that they could try and fit new parts, but they would only be fitting parts which are the same and therefore have the same problem. As one of the things changed in the facelift was the suspension I would say its pretty certain that its that which is at fault.

So if anyone else has this noise, report it and make Audi DE do something about it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the update.

Reactions: Steppy
1 - 20 of 27 Posts