Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looking for some advise please. I've noticed when reversing off drive and driving forward there is a strange noise coming from underneath, it sounds like a cracking noise, it seems to me like it could do with a grease up.

It's hard to discribe but it sounds like a creaking noise, or loud clicking, but pretty sure its nothing to do with DPF Have also noticed it when going around a roundabout so it's not just happening a very low speeds.
Any ideas please it would be much appreciated. Sorry to be so vague.
It's a 3.0 tdi on a 13 plate
Thanks.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Is it only when you are riding the brake (if you have s-tronic/auto)? And literally creeping at 1 mph? If so this is normal.
If you are getting it above 1 mph and not riding the brake then probably is something a miss.

Can you record video and post to youtube?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jose its creeping off the drive on its own no brake applied then when I drive off really a creaking / cracking noise.

I haven't a clue what it can be, I suppose I should get it booked in and get it checked out.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Jose its creeping off the drive on its own no brake applied then when I drive off really a creaking / cracking noise.

I haven't a clue what it can be, I suppose I should get it booked in and get it checked out.
I should. If it's doing it whilst not on the brake it can't be right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try and record the sound tomorrow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll try and record the sound tomorrow.
Sounds exactly like the noise I'm getting. Had Q5 since end of July and clunking noise started a few weeks ago. Going in garage next Tuesday as first chance I have had to get booked in. will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Q5loon. Mine goes at the end of October and if my SQ5 hasn't arrived by then they are loaning me a car until it turns up.

I'll wait and see what they say about yours before I book it in. If it turns out not to be to serious ill let them sort it when I give it to them.

Tried to record the noise but can't really hear it to good on my phone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Q5loon. Mine goes at the end of October and if my SQ5 hasn't arrived by then they are loaning me a car until it turns up.

I'll wait and see what they say about yours before I book it in. If it turns out not to be to serious ill let them sort it when I give it to them.

Tried to record the noise but can't really hear it to good on my phone.
Had the Q5 in garage today and fixed the noise. It was the heat shield touching the steering coupling. 45 mile drive home and all fine.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks for the update. Mine is in soon for a clunking sound which could be the same as you've experienced but also happens going over bumps

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the update Q5loon. I think another member said some time back it was the heat shield causing a similar noise.

I'll wait and let them sort it when I hand over the car at the end of October, also received a call from them yesterday saying the car needs a soft wear update on the steering. I think I'll let them sort that at the end of October as well.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Looking for some advise please. I've noticed when reversing off drive and driving forward there is a strange noise coming from underneath, it sounds like a cracking noise, it seems to me like it could do with a grease up.

It's hard to discribe but it sounds like a creaking noise, or loud clicking, but pretty sure its nothing to do with DPF Have also noticed it when going around a roundabout so it's not just happening a very low speeds.
Any ideas please it would be much appreciated. Sorry to be so vague.
It's a 3.0 tdi on a 13 plate
Thanks.
This sounds like the noise which I had. Mine too was like your and the only time I really heard it was coming on to and backing off our drive as the car was turning and going over a transverse ridge at the same time so the car would be twisting/rocking as I backed off.

It was very audible both inside and outside the car. In the end it was to do with the offside suspension shocker absorber/strut. This was replaced and I am pleased to say the noise is gone. I also had the heat shield noise too, but that was a very light metallic clicking sound and that was sorted out very quickly soon after I had the car.

Have to say my dealer has been excellent in sorting out the issues I have had with my car

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi ive just got my Q5 2.0tfsi s-line plus monday have to say its great but mine seems to be making the same noice i had audi assit out as sheffield audi couldnt get me in til 28 oct and the guy said it sounds like a ball joint ? so ive got to wait for a slot at the dealer but ill keep you posted .
great car by the way
2.0tfsi 225 bhp
sline plus
titanium wheels
power fold mirrors
storage package
leather pack plus
flat bottom steering wheel
heated front seats
interior light package
running boards
sline sports suspention
hill hold assist

·
Registered
529 Posts
Sounds exactly like the noise I'm getting. Had Q5 since end of July and clunking noise started a few weeks ago. Going in garage next Tuesday as first chance I have had to get booked in. will let you know the outcome.
Mines been in today for repair and its the same falt at Q5loon had, heat shield, easy fix in 3 hours

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi after 3 times in at Sheffield audi and them just passing of my information as if I, and this forum know nothing they had it for 3 days and low and behold heatsheild problem fixed

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Quick update...

My car is at the dealers and they found the clunk I had on full lock was an exhaust heat shield, has been adjusted and is fixed

·
Banned
489 Posts
And another heat shield issue - just fixed on my new car. I'm surprised Audi don't fix this in Quality Control before leaving the factory as it seems to be a common 'problem' going back a bit (if this forum is anything to go by)!

Like bonzoboy in Sep 2013 I heard a 'click' on steering lock (both left and right) while manoeuvring. I could replicate it whilst at standstill too, by gently rocking the steering wheel. Master Tech at Tamworth Audi listened and said he'd take it in straight away and 45 mins later all well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
And another - just fixed on my new car. I'm surprised Audi don't fix this in Quality Control before leaving the factory as it seems to be a common 'problem' going back a bit (if this forum is anything to go by)!
I shall show the Dealer your threads and as him to check mine on PDI. Once again this demonstrates the value of Forums like this. My gratitude Gentlemen.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just a thought. Are all the above with the heatshield problems 3ltr engined Q5's and so does not affect mine being 2ltr?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just a thought. Are all the above with the heatshield problems 3ltr engined Q5's and so does not affect mine being 2ltr?
Nope mine is a 2 litre and I think I was one of the first to discover it back in March 2013

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nope mine is a 2 litre and I think I was one of the first to discover it back in March 2013
Apologies should have checked your signature. Just put it down to a senior citizen moment

1 - 20 of 25 Posts