Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed some light on this.

What is it these days that people stop miles away from the white line at traffic lights.
I have had to get out of my car three times recently and tell the driver they need to pull up nearer to the white line so that the lights will change, due to the sensors in the road.

Am I they only one who comes across this.

P.S. Hope you all had a wonderful day.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
The sensors in the road are usually a long way before before the lights... I'm not aware of any monitoring systems that expect you to be right up to the line to register your presence...(my best friend is a traffic controller in my local town and I have spoken at length with him about the technology and algorithms they use to detect traffic and keep it flowing etc).
They usually have 2 sensors, one farther away to detect approaching traffic and change before you reach the light (assuming there is nothing coming the other way) and one 2-3 car lengths from the line to detect stationary queues. Either way, even if no vehicle is detected they will change on a timer anyway.

Those with the sensor on top of the lights are pointed at a similar spot to the forward buried sensor type - 2-3 car lengths from the line.

I often see people 6ft short of the line which is annoying but per above, don't see that this would stop the light seeing them there.

I would only be beeping/flashing/getting out to shout if they were 20ft+ short, which I've never seen!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jose.

Some of ours are alot closer than that, I was 3 cars away from the front car recently with a white van in front of me.
I could not see the front car until the van driver had had enough (10 mins of no movement) and pulled into the other lane (right turn only), once the driver pulled up and the light cycle came round again the lights changed.

The left hand lane does not change unless a vehicle is detected.

I have contacts in our local highways department so might check with them.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
That sounds like badly programmed lights in conjunction with bad drivers!
I get my mate to re-program lights in Dorchester from time to time when I notice trends over a few days, it's quite good fun!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
289 Posts
We have a right filter near where I live that has this "problem". There is only one sensor and it's right in front of the white line. If you stop 6 ft short you remain undetected and the lights never change.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have a right filter near where I live that has this "problem". There is only one sensor and it's right in front of the white line. If you stop 6 ft short you remain undetected and the lights never change.
Thanks, thought i was the only one. I have three on my short journey to work, not sure why people only recently sit back from the line at traffic lights.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not on the Mercedes, might try it on the Q5 when it arrives.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is occasionally an issue around town where I live. Doesn't happen too often, but every once in a while you get someone who, for some reason, feels they need a good solid 2 1/2 car lengths between the front of their car and the white line. Only the major intersections tend to have sensors, but where they have them you have to be at least partially occupying the first car length behind the white line to trigger it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As a motorcyclist in the States it's not unusual to pull up to a light and not trip the sensor if you're the only one there. I've found not being centered in the sensor box works best on a cycle. Otherwise I just wait a bit, wait till the traffic clears and run the light - which is legal if you've actually waited.

Drivers as a whole are becoming more inconsiderate (on top of many that are plain idiots
. One of my favorites - there's a line of traffic behind the first car in a turn lane that sleeps through the turn signal - they make it across, but 5 cars behind them could have made it if the driver of the first car in line were paying attention!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Spot on Q5 TDI about the half asleep idiots. I come across their Scottish relatives driving to work in the same selfish manner everyday!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts