Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since delivery our automatic Q5 has had a problem with the stop/start system. Basically it is possible to stall the engine. It will happen when you are in busy traffic and approaching a junction, roundabout etc. If at the moment the engine cuts out because you have come to a halt you take your foot off the brake and press the accelerator the engine stalls as it tries to restart. The safety problem comes from the person too close behind you who thinks you are about to go(no brake lights) when in fact you are now stalled! I have finally managed to replicate the effect with a Audi technician in the car and whilst he agrees it is a problem the feedback from Audi Technical is "there is nothing we can do to stop it happening". They suggest switching it off on every journey, which my wife does now anyway because it has really freaked her out. It would seem to be a design flaw.

SO BE WARNED....

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks for the warning. No issues for me so far!

·
Banned
489 Posts
I switch mine off each time I use the car. Maybe that's why I am only getting 36mpg!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Mine also has a start/stop issue - though slightly different from yours...
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/7545-sq5-broken

I'm taking mine in on Friday night, getting a courtesy car, then going back Sat morning to show them the problem as it is FAR more prevalent when the car is warming up compared to at running temp. I'll post on the above thread how I get on.

I have had times when I have almost come to a stop, the engine has cut out at the exact moment I lifted off the brake, as a result I have rolled 12 inches as the engine restarts - but it doesn't stall as such (your description sounds like yours doesn't restart?).

·
Registered
503 Posts
I wait for the engine to restart before I touch the accelerator and always have the car ready to go before I want to move off. If I am at a tricky junction or roundabout I will turn off the start/stop so I don't have the worry of it stopping unnecessarily.

After coming to a stop mine has a 2 second delay before it shuts off.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I wait for the engine to restart before I touch the accelerator and always have the car ready to go before I want to move off. If I am at a tricky junction or roundabout I will turn off the start/stop so I don't have the worry of it stopping unnecessarily.

After coming to a stop mine has a 2 second delay before it shuts off.
See now if mine had a 2 second delay I wouldn't be taking it in to Audi!

Reactions: BilletDoo

·
Registered
503 Posts
See now if mine had a 2 second delay I wouldn't be taking it in to Audi!
Hopefully it will be something they can adjust.

It is a bit more difficult to control when the engine is cold as the revs are higher so it pulls against the brakes more.... a very light foot is needed!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Hopefully it will be something they can adjust.

It is a bit more difficult to control when the engine is cold as the revs are higher so it pulls against the brakes more.... a very light foot is needed!
See on mine the revs don't seem to get raised when cold, and also being tiptronic rather than stronic it pulls more lightly/evenly.

I specifically said to them when it first went in that I KNOW there is a timer they can change, but they claimed ignorance. I think this time I will really put my foot down as the fact your car has a delay and they are both MY13 proves the point.

·
Banned
289 Posts
All sounds like far too much trouble. If you end up having to drive/think around this 'feature' it's not worthwhile.

I'm sure I'll end up switching it off for every journey. I'll just have to forgo the miniscule fuel consumption benefit. Oh well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for feedback. It is interesting that someone has a 2 second delay on stopping. That's exactly what I suggested my Q5 should do. It would, I think, solve the problem. Unfortunately my Audi dealer has said they have checked with Audi Technical who are saying that there are no adjustments that can be made. Another conversation with Audi methinks!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Stalled mine the other day setting of from rest uphill.

Maybe as suggested I needed to wait before setting off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have ~6000 miles on our Audi. We took a trip to Philadelphia + NJ and the start/stop activated. It was 85+ degrees and heavy traffic near the city. The feature was working well, then while we were on our way out of central Philly I came across a red light that turned green as I was stopping, while I accelerated the car was "choking out" but I managed to keep going w/o stalling. A weird light came on saying the car took a sharp turn (like an avoidance maneuver), after parking the car and restarting the light went away.

In a couple of days (In NJ this time) I came upon another light (traffic was not heavy) and same sequence... Light red came to a stop/ light changed as soon as I stopped and again the car choked-out, but managed not to stall. But this time the engine light (stayed on) and the weird light came on (turned off after restarting). After calling a nearby Audi dealer to see if it was OK to drive the car home the next day (Yes). No issue driving with the engine light on for 400+ miles. We just turned off the function after it happened the second time. Audi is going to look at it this Wed.

* My guess is that the auto stop function would like you to STOP for more than a couple of seconds before going forward. I also thought it might be the combination of Hot weather/air conditioning and many start stops in Philly traffic. - when stopped for a long period in traffic the car starts up to turn the AC on, at one point this annoyed me enough to shut off the AC and open up the windows (which helped the start/stop function by not turning on when the interior got warm)

-- my wife likes her car, the way it handles etc. hopefully a software upgrade becomes available to not turn off the engine so soon after a complete stop?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have had this a couple of times now, the most recent being about 15 minutes ago at a set of traffic lights. Car completely stalled. Suffice to say the driver behind shared my frustration by beeping his horn.

Definitely (in my cases anyway) seems there is no 2 second delay, it happened as I was pulling up to the red light, and stopping - car then shut off just as the lights changed and I tried to accelerate - this is when the stall happened.

Mine is a manual, so thinking about it, it could be my fault for coasting in neutral?!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have experienced this a few times and I have an automatic. Exactly as described above, stopped at traffic lights and start/stop kicked in just as lights changed and I instinctively pressed the accelerator thereby stalling the car. My wife who is the main driver of the car has just conditioned herself to waiting a few seconds before putting her foot on the accelerator to avoid the stall and she gives me a withering look on the occasions I have stalled it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Best option as stated above switch it off as my wide does every time she drive it
as the miniscule saving in the fuel for me its a waste of time i have looked at permenatly disabling the feature but as yet it is not possibe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took the car into Audi after previous incident (check engine light) after stalling (see above), they checked car out and gave it back to us, indicating we probably had bad diesel fuel. (6000 miles)
1 month later (8000 miles) - Wife was driving back from work and the auto stop / start feature was active... and it stalled out on her when she stopped and then had to suddenly go. Car did not drive well after this incident (no pick up). Engine light and glow plug light on.
- next Audi dealer trip - fuel pump and an additional part had to be installed.
9000 miles and fingers crossed... (wife trying not to use start / stop function).

my guess is there is an engineering flaw: *fuel pump gets too much fuel and chokes out like a lawn mower when the choke is pulled out too long after the motor starts. that's the best description I have for what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Further to my original post, I have now found a permanent fix for this problem.

We pick up our Mercedes-Benz tomorrow... Good luck your Q5's guys!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Further to my original post, I have now found a permanent fix for this problem.

We pick up our Mercedes-Benz tomorrow... Good luck your Q5's guys!
MB? We will be fine, persistent electrical problems await you...

·
Registered
503 Posts
MB? We will be fine, persistent electrical problems await you...
I think Mercedes have lost their way in the styling stakes too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts