Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B*stards broke into my house last night, got hold of the keys to my Q5 from a drawer in the kitchen and nicked it off the drive!

2011 Q5 2ltr 170 SLine Special Edition, 22k miles, loads of options.

Lots of talk about residuals recently. Not looking forward to the valuation from the loss adjuster. Suspect it won't be as good as what I would get privately. Was offered £25k for it by Milton Keynes Audi the other day!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
That sucks.
I really don't understand why people do this.
The criminal justice (or lack of) is simply not a deterrent.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
That is really not cool. You can challenge the valuation from your insurance company and get independent valuations - if you have the valuation in writing from MK Audi they would have to take that seriously....
Hopefully you will get it back undamaged, and if not get a reasonable payout.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Yes but trade-in is not the purchase price.
This is where I get angry at insurance companies.

You insure a vehicle, they take your money, but when something happens the pay off never allows you to get a direct replacement/same vehicle. .i.e. The value of the car is not the same as the purchase price (not sure how's that's possible, as you can't buy it for less than the garage sale price regardless of the trade price). So because the insurance companies don't cover the full value, they invent a second product called GAP, to cover the short fall amount (which you do already paid for in the first premium) to cover the difference.

Talk about a con.
I'd hate this to happen to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the plus side, my SQ5 is estimated to arrive in March so just need something to tide me over for a few months.

Irritated at losing my NCB and £500 excess.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Nightmare, that really sucks. B*strds indeed.
Spot on Dogzboy.

I must also take out GAP insurance as this is a salutary message to me. If it's any compensation jrthomas, then protected NCD probably makes little difference.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
No way! Sorry to hear mate, hope everything is ok and they find them!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Breaking in and taking the keys is the only sure way of getting the car off your drive. I had an attempted burglary some years back, took all the beading out of the window to try and gain entry to get my car keys which were in the kitchen (thats what the police said they were after)
Our cat who was very old and blind saved us, god bless her

Reactions: ray.afzal

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

They should be keelhauld.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If you were offered £25k by the MK dealership then that must be the minimum from the insurance company. Under the circumstances maybe the dealership could help out with a loan car?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all.

We're actually in East Dulwich, London so the crime/burglary rate is pretty high with an SE postcode.

I have asked the dealership that I've ordered the SQ5 with if they will loan me a car until mine arrives - no need for them to do it but they said they'd look at it. I couldn't really think what else to do - my insurance cover doesn't include a hire car and I don't want to buy one to tide me over for 2-3 months.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
You could look at buying a used one from the dealer with a prearranged trade in value up front. I know others have managed to do similar and get a car for very little money as the dealer should want to look after you as a new SQ5 customer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I'm afraid the car didn't turn up and the police gave up looking after about 4 days.

However there was a happy ending as the insurance company paid out 74% of the car's original OTR price - it was 3 years old this month! As I had a decent discount when I bought it, I actually recouped just over 80% of the purchase price.

Incredible residuals from the Q5. Should go someway towards compensating the loss of my NCB when the SQ5 arrives!

It doesn't make up for having some thieving scum rifling through your house, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Well I'm afraid the car didn't turn up and the police gave up looking after about 4 days.

However there was a happy ending as the insurance company paid out 74% of the car's original OTR price - it was 3 years old this month! As I had a decent discount when I bought it, I actually recouped just over 80% of the purchase price.

Incredible residuals from the Q5. Should go someway towards compensating the loss of my NCB when the SQ5 arrives!

It doesn't make up for having some thieving scum rifling through your house, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless.
Glad the insurance company paid a fair amount - all to often you hear otherwise. One of the reasons I went with the SQ5 was I got stung big time on my last car that got written off - it was a one off spec, so no stats to go on and of course they won't count rarity in their pay outs! This time around IF the same happened I'd be covered (plus I negotiated GAP into my deal so have return to invoice for 3 years anyway). I would recommend you get GAP this time around, for a couple of hundred quid you get back what you paid with minimal fuss...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good call on the Gap insurance. Most Audi dealers will price match www.ala.co.uk who are a very good Gap provider.

I have had clients who have had a nightmare with www.click4gap.co.uk so I would avoid them (their return to invoice cover seems to be return to whatever sum we pluck out of the air!)

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
yes, certainly considering GAP this time & I like the look of the ALA website - thanks for the link. There seems to be a slight difference in the max payout - Audi looked like £10k max although I guess it will be whatever ends up on your policy document.

Audi were talking about me taking the Alloy Wheel and Sratch & Dent cover (which I am considering getting as the wife often drives my car
) but the prices on ALA are far more competitve than Audi quoted. Hopefully they will provide good cover for those products too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ala do (or certainly did) run BMW Gap insurance white labeled as BMW Gap.

I run a vehciel finance company and I have had no issues being paid out by Ala. I would imagine their other cover is run in the same manner but don't get involved in alloy wheel claims so couldn't be sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts