Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed this weekend on both headlights the corners filled with steam, now surely thats a warrenty item as it means the headlights are no longer sealed, what do you think? Anyone else with this problem (cars 2 years old now)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its normal (for Audis), Xenons are not sealed units.
never had this on the 4 audi's I have had before with zenons (TT roadster, Allroader, A4 Cab and Q7)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I really doubt any manufacturer's headlights are sealed. Finally there need to be a way to change the bulb. And even if special rubber protectors are in place, these are rather 'splash-proof' than fully sealing the headlight unit. Also connectors that go trough protector are latched rather than molded, so not 100% sealed. So everything depends external conditions (humidity, temperature changes) and some condensation might occur. Maybe taillight, that are LED based and it is not possible for them to replace individual LEDs are fully sealed. ... just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
963 Posts
They won't be sealed.

A few years ago I had a large spider that took up residence in the headlight of a CLK320 with xenons. Spider was fried and Mercedes had to fit a new headlamp cos they couldn't get it out.....thankfully under warranty.

Even Range Rovers get condensation in the headlamps which is considered normal.

So I wouldn't worry about it too much

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
They aren't, they have a breather hole in them.
do a google on "xenon condensation" you will see every make an model of car with the same issue.

·
Registered
473 Posts
In the manual for the A5 it mentions re condensation being normal. However the current A6 has also suffered badly with condensation with it's rear light and Audi have been replacing from what i heard

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm sure I've read somewhere that gentle warming with a hairdryer can help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts