Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me when and how the start stop is supposed to work, mine only works sometimes - does the engine need to heat up?

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
cheerss mate, i take it when it is fully warmed!
Hi Saffa,
Not sure if it has to be fully warmed just up to a pre determined temp that Audi have decided,i think also if you had radio,a/c and lots of electrical items on and running that if the power drain becoame too much if you where stuck in traffic it would re start.
Rich

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Saffa,
Not sure if it has to be fully warmed just up to a pre determined temp that Audi have decided,i think also if you had radio,a/c and lots of electrical items on and running that if the power drain becoame too much if you where stuck in traffic it would re start.
Rich
There are loads of occasions when it won't work, characterized by the S/S symbol coming on in the dash with a line through it. As mentioned, the engine has to reach a set temp and not have too much load on it. Also though won't work if outside temp is very low, car is on a slope, parking brake applied, no drivers seatbelt or not achieved more than 4mph/kph?? since last S/S. I think thats about it, it's all listed in the manual.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your wheels have to be pointing more or less straight on, otherwise it won't cut out.

I've noticed, after the engine cuts out, pressing hard down on the brake pedal (obv. stationary) causes the engine to restart too.

Also, today when stopped at lights and after the engine cut out, it just restarted by itself (without any intervention from me) after about 20 seconds. This happened twice. No idea why!

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
I had the start stop on an A5 loaner and hated it,just had it switched off all the time.think thats i would do if i had a car with it on.

Rich

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Your wheels have to be pointing more or less straight on, otherwise it won't cut out.

I've noticed, after the engine cuts out, pressing hard down on the brake pedal (obv. stationary) causes the engine to restart too.

Also, today when stopped at lights and after the engine cut out, it just restarted by itself (without any intervention from me) after about 20 seconds. This happened twice. No idea why!
Maybe just needed to top the battery up or run for the Heating/Air Con. I test drove a Lexus hybrid and it kept starting to run the climate control.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Got an A3 Cab loaner today with stop/start - there is no way I would buy a car with this function, I hate it. Can't really explain why, but it seems to be taking an element of control away from me that I don't like - find it very irritating?

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Got an A3 Cab loaner today with stop/start - there is no way I would buy a car with this function, I hate it. Can't really explain why, but it seems to be taking an element of control away from me that I don't like - find it very irritating?
agree with you fully.

Rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts