Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes squeal terribly at low speed, e.g. when manoeuvring in the car park or coming to a gentle rest at traffic lights. Seems most prevalent in the morning when car has been chilled overnight but has also happened less often on the way home in the evenings.

It's driving me nuts! Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine has done the same since new, now just shy of 900 miles I'm thinking that (another) visit to Audi is on the cards. When I was sitting in the traffic on the way home from work last night they did it again last night, which has been the first time in ages. I just kept rolling and braking and the squeel stopped of its own accord. I'm going to give it until 1k then if its still the same, I'll book her in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine has done 1400 and no let up so far. Seems to be mostly when cold. Let me know how you get on at Audi- I really don't want the hassle of taking it in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine is normally is she has been sat for a day in the cold/damp.....very odd. If it persists I'll book her in and let you know the outcome. From past experience of a similar thing, it ended up being a small stone being stuck beside the disc!?

·
Registered
45 Posts
My brakes squeal terribly at low speed, e.g. when manoeuvring in the car park or coming to a gentle rest at traffic lights. Seems most prevalent in the morning when car has been chilled overnight but has also happened less often on the way home in the evenings.

It's driving me nuts! Does anyone else have this issue?
It's probably a slight film of rust on the steel discs caused by the damp weather.
Find a clear stretch of de-restricted road, give it the beans and then stand on the brakes!
Hopefully that should cure it

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've had it too. Brake disc/pads take a good 500 miles of gentle braking to bed in.........

So I will monitor for now unless someone comes up with a solution

·
Registered
64 Posts
The brakes on my 2 week old / 500 mile Q5 are still really squeaking too. It seems like a common complaint on other sites too...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The brakes on my 2 week old / 500 mile Q5 are still really squeaking too. It seems like a common complaint on other sites too...
Mine still do it at 1700 miles, although maybe not as much? they've only ever done it on cold mornings at low speed. Its really embarrassing in the station car park in the morning!

There was a guy on another thread taking his car in for it, hopefully he'll update this one with the results.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to report that the brakes on my SQ5 (2 months old) makes a right racket at low speed. Hopefully things will improve with age.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi
Not sure which model you have but my car has done this since new... I've just hit 10000 miles since April and it is still doing it... in fact I can do it on request when creeping in traffic...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very common complaint with all Audis, particularly at low speeds, coming to stop at junctions etc. some people on Audisport.net have got their discs and pads changes under warranty for warping etc. others been given the usual Audi spin of "they all do that" Ours had it when our last set of pads were reaching the end of their life and we had them changed. 5000 miles with the new pads and the noise is back...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Had mine serviced last Tuesday, mine has squealed since it was new, now I have done 19k and still there, not all the time but annoying when it does it.

Spoke to the service team there, guess what never heard of it before, I have read somewhere that there is a different brake pad for the rears that is supposed to fix this,

Will persevere for now as it stops well just noisy occasionally

Reactions: Clapper

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all.... I'm new to this forum but I have the 'squeaky brake' problem too on my '12 Q5. Just bought it with 50K miles on it. Dealer says new brakes and pads but I notice lots of brake dust on the wheels and get the squeak at low speed.... (usually backing up in parking garage). Is this NORMAL???

·
Registered
337 Posts
Squealing brakes are usually caused by,
Glazed pads and discs..... Cured usually by abrading both or apply brakes hard at speed several times.
Low speed short distance driving aggravates the situation.
Modern brake pads tend to be very hard and last longer these days but can be prone to squealing.

As has been mentioned copper grease between shim and pad can also help.

As a last resort cutting a slot horizontally across the pad from surface to backing can clear water debris and dust and also help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts