Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. I am new to the forum from London, UK and thinking about purchasing an Audi SQ5. We currently have a BMW X5 40d 2009 and looking for our 4 year upgrade - were considering new X5 but saw it was hideous, then turned our heads towards the Cayenne S Diesel and the Audi SQ5. We test drove the SQ5 and loved the sound, but we also love the engine too. The Cayenne S is our other choice with its beastie v8 engine and we are struggling to deicde. any way you guys can stir us back towards the SQ5?

Reactions: smithy14

·
Registered
700 Posts
HI ray, it shouldnt take much steering back, I think you will struggle to match the build quality on the Porsche but the SQ5 isnt that far behind !, as for power,torque, fuel economy and looks i do think the SQ5 wins hands down, its sound and sheer grunt win over most cars with it doing an average of 30 mpg surley thats enough !, Like for like spec im assuming the Porsche is an extra 10K ish ?? thats a lot of money for not a lot of difference.

All the best with your decission hopefully some one else can continue the stirring back if required

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks merlinv8, yeah the porsche is very expensive starting new £59,000 thats why looking for some second hand ones and buy the time spec is done looking at 75 grand!! no way!! Do love the audi though, the power on that thing is unbelievable. Pretty good fuel consumption better than i was expecting actually

·
Registered
529 Posts
Why pay more for second best?
To be honest I did look at the porker myself but the diffence in price with a few toys was jaw dropping. The sheer size and servicing costs just made the decision easier.
I have to say the SQ5 is so easy to live with and like merlin says its great looking from every angle (the 30mm reduced height makes a huge difference) and there arnt many cars out ther that you can say that about

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I discounted the Porsche based on;
Size (bigger than I wanted - but you may want bigger?)
Cost (by the time you ticked all the bits on both the Porsche was £25K more!!)
MPG (obviously no-one buys these cars to be frugal but the SQ5 again wins hands down here)
Power (not just out and out 0-60, but the available torque available at all times makes it much more drivable)
Exclusivity (for now at least!)

·
Registered
700 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong really , I will say the size of the porsche is more like a q7 than a q5 with only 5 seats thou , a very well specced sq5 would be around 53 ish which is still a massive saving and better to have new with the 3 year warranty Porsche are only offering 2 years on used cars so a bonus there .

Cheers merlin

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very true thanks Wilf. One thing thats drawing us to porsche is the depreciation...any idea of how the SQ5 does after 3 years or so?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Q5 is one of the strongest 20 cars for holding its value - so SQ5 will fair very well...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys. Yeah the one drawback we had on the sQ5 was the back seat space, is it enough? seemed a little gloomy back there, i think a sunroof is necessary. Yeah I liked the sq5 because it got the looks and doesnt make you look like a guy who cant afford a 911 so goes for a cayenne instead! Hmm you guys are winning me over

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Its got plenty of room IMHO. I'm 6ft 4inches and have had similar height mates sat behind me with no issues. Rear bench seat plus allows you to reduce the leg room by sliding the rear seats forward for increase boot room as well FYI (as well as allowing 3 way split rear seats and including cup holders in the centre arm rest).

·
Registered
700 Posts
I've always had the panoramic roofs ray but some think they are a bit steep with a price tag of 1200 pound , too me it's worth every penny and certainly makes the car feel more airy and spacious , plenty more cayenne s about than sq5's at mo and I think it will stay that way for a long time .

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats quite ecouraging actuallly thank you. so what do u all think are best colours? we looked into daytona grey however was speciality colour...any more suggestions or must haves?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I wanted the SQ5 exclusive colour Panther Black as I love the almost purple flick in the sun - but the Mrs wanted a white car! Glacier white is lovely - has an almost green pearl in the sun shine - really happy with it (apart form having to keep it clean!). A lot of people say the other exclusive colour Estoril Blue is great in the sun but a bit dark/drab on the shady days. Daytona is super common... but does give the car a low profile look if you are looking for a bit of a sleeper.

Relevant and active thread here I expect you have already seen... http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/3174-poll-what-colour-have-you-gone-for/

Reactions: StewT

·
Registered
706 Posts
Don't forget that the Porsche is based on the vw touareg, and you get more bang for your bucks with the vw. It's just that its a very heavy car.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I do agree estoril blue is very dull on dark days but like the old Moro blue, I will say it looks fantastic in the sun which makes up for it , blacks a nightmare to keep clean as well as white , what ever you go for I'm sure like most of us you will enjoy cleaning and polishing as well as driving it .

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Don't forget that the Porsche is based on the vw touareg.
Its the other way around, the VW is based on the Porsche. its designed by Porsche and this platform will also be shared to the next gen Q7.

If the size/space badge, sense of occasion and driver feel is important, go for the Cayenne.
Its a great car, you wont find many fans on an Audi site - but im sure you knew that.

if fuel consumption and running costs are important, go for the Audi, its a solid well built car.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our test car was volcano red, even though a nice colour it was a bit ridiculous if you know what i mean! we were thinking of daytona grey but i understand that it was a bit low profile and doesnt get the look some others get. What do you guys think is the highest profile colour?
And exactly its a bit of a dilemma what we liked about the sq5 is the name sounds subtle when you say it but when you see it, it looks great. with the porsche the name sounds all fancy but even though not bad looking, a lot of bucks have to be put in to make it look good - the basic model is just too bland.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello,
I might be a lone voice here, but in my view the Porsche/X5/RRS are in a different league/class from the Q5/SQ5.

If the Porsche is in budget I cant believe you are even considering an SQ5.

I also think that spending £53k on SQ5 you could get your fingers burnt. Thats a lot for a smallish 4x4, even if it has a great engine.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the Porsche Maccan is due out early next year, which is a Q5 alternative, and will have the same platform as the next Q5. Youcan bet that the Porsche will pack a big punch, but then you have to wait a year.

Reactions: Snow Man
1 - 20 of 33 Posts