Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

I know that it is early days yet, but does anybody have any thoughts as to how many miles I am likely to get out of a new set of tyres on an SQ5. I presume that it is likely to be less than a 2.0 TDI on the basis of additional power and weight over the front tyres. Maybe somebody with a 3.0 TDI would care to comment, or ideally somebody with a V6 bi-turbo?

From my current 2.0 TDI I have achieved approximately 26,500 miles.

I am still deliberating on whether or not to go for the Audi Complete - Service. Maintenance and Tyre Plan. For my mileage of approximately 9,000 miles pa I have been quoted £48.04 pm.

My concerns are not only of the economics but also being tied to the three years and/or changing the car earlier and losing out on the deal.

I would be very grateful for any comments on the subject.

Regards,

ZED

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
Hi Zed,

I would suggest tyre wear is more closely related to the way you drive rather than the performance of the vehicle.

I replace my tyres long before minimum thread depth. I would not wish to be tied into a contract where I needed someone's permission or conditions which dictate that I must buy a particular (e.g. the cheapest?) brand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Zed,

I have a 3.0 TDI with 60k on the clock. I went for the all inclusive servicing including tyres at about £80 / month based on 25k / year.

The first set of tyres lasted 35k miles and were replaced with the same tyres as original. I wanted the tyres replaced just before going to the alps Skiing so I had to drive round desparately trying to scrub the last bit of life out of the tyres to get a fresh set on before I went.

I probably have 3 - 4 k left on the current set.

If I had the choice again I would not go for it. With the life I got out of the tyres I doubt I have saved anything and I would also have considered a spare set of winter wheels had I not been paying the fixed cost anyway.

Also the fact that if I sell or exchange the car I will need to wait now until I can get a new set to save throwing quite a bit of money away.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Zed,

I have a 3.0 TDI with 60k on the clock. I went for the all inclusive servicing including tyres at about £80 / month based on 25k / year.

The first set of tyres lasted 35k miles and were replaced with the same tyres as original. I wanted the tyres replaced just before going to the alps Skiing so I had to drive round desparately trying to scrub the last bit of life out of the tyres to get a fresh set on before I went.

I probably have 3 - 4 k left on the current set.

If I had the choice again I would not go for it. With the life I got out of the tyres I doubt I have saved anything and I would also have considered a spare set of winter wheels had I not been paying the fixed cost anyway.

Also the fact that if I sell or exchange the car I will need to wait now until I can get a new set to save throwing quite a bit of money away.
Hi Basil,

Thanks very much for the information. This gives me even more food for thought. It seems that my concerns over flexibility i.e. in terms of when to swop cars are well founded.

You did very well by getting 35K out of your first set.

ZED

·
Registered
334 Posts
Personally i wouldn't go for it, i have a 3.0tdi at the moment, on second set of tyres, they still have 7-8mm on the back and 5-6mm on the front after 40k miles.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm going to put the routine servicing on a plan (I'm around 18,000 miles a year) and do the tires myself - using Event Tires web site as reference decent 20" boots can be had from £209 each, upwards. The SQ5 has a 40/60 torque bias to the rear wheels so will probably wear the rears out 1st so will replace as pairs rather than a full set of 4.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Think the wife has just hit 17k and 2 years - at the service Audi said they would replace the front tyres under warranty, no idea why but I'm not going to argue

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had a tyre package on my last car and commercially it only just stacked up.
Didn't bother with the current car as they dictated which tyres I could have on the last car which was a pain.
Easier to just set up £50 a month standing order in to a car maintenance account so its there when you need it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
in my opinion with just doing 9k a year it will not be worth it
i reckon you would get three years out of one set with normal driving

what happens with punctures etc are they all covered?

i also think it wouldnt be worth it on the maintance side either - doing only 9k a year means you should be looking at getting it serviced yearly and not on the variable service plan. that means oil service (not as much ££) every other year then inspection (more ££) inbetween.
Whenever i have looked at it, it never works out as you can always negotiate money off a service with just a few phone calls.

Still i understand it for piece of mind but ....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your comments, which I have found most useful.

I am currently of the view that I will not go for either package.

The forum certainly can be useful!!

Thanks again,

ZED

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
On this subject - anyone know if the front/rear wheels will be the same width (I have the 21"'s on order). In the brochure it just says 8.5J so I am hoping they are so could potentially swap if one end wears quicker than the other.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would imagine wear on the fronts would be higher than the rear especially with lower mileage cars
Our 2.0TDI S-Line with 53,000 miles has just had its 3rd set on the front and has 4mm left on the 2nd set of rears.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was considering starting off with all season tyres, but I can't see a cost effective way of doing it. Wouldn't be so bad if you could get the 21" rims without tyres, then that would be an option..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts