Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my SQ5 for almost two weeks now and I'm extremely pleased with the car. One thing though that I noticed earlier today when I floored it at a red light is that there's some serious turbo lag. Maybe it's just me and that this is my first diesel car? My former car was a Porsche 991 carrera s with PDK so it might be that I'm used to the direct response and comparing apples with oranges... Maybe I just have to get used to this? It's not a huge problem anyway since I won't drive the car like a stole it, but from time to time it's nice being able to push the limits and enjoy the torque
... Any of you other SQ5-drivers who have similar experience?

Should also note that I have tried with Dynamic mode and with Sport engaged for the gearbox. A little bit less noticeable, but still got the feeling that it takes a while before the engine respond to a full throttle push.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Not noticed but then again I didn't come from a Porsche, having lived abroad and having not had a car for 5 years before the SQ5.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I came from a BMW 135i with DCT not quite a Porsche but way nippier than an SUV and I have to say I think the SQ5 is very impressive when it comes to power delivery, it pulls hard from about 1600rpm and falls away above 3000rpm - in a petrol of course you would expect a higher band of power.
I would say that you have to be in the right gear as trying to pull from say 1100rpm it won't excite much.
Also, being a slush box you will have some lag as it winds up, PDK (like DCT) will be more like a manual as it engages the clutch and so getting off the line initially will be more of an initial kick.

Check out the thread on launch control on here, and try it - it's awesome!
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php?/topic/3089-SQ5-Launch-Control...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the great input José! I think it mainly was the start from stand-still that did bother me a little bit. When I have some revs it seems to be quite responsive. The PDK-box in the 991 is phenomenal and your insights related to the difference between a tiptronic and double clutch gearbox explains it. I just have to get used to that it doesn't jump of the line and response within milliseconds like the 991 did. Different animals though and this is really nothing that bothers me, just gotta get used to it

Does this mean that for instance the new RS6 that also uses Tiptronic will suffer from the same lag from standstill?

Will probably not try the launch-control thingy if there are warnings and such for frying the gearbox
. Have you tried it successfully?

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Racing from the lights is not my thing. Use the launch control if you want to do that.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yes, LC is quite an eye opener! For an SUV it really shifts!!
This is where the slush box actually helps as the torque converter being wound up gives you HUGE power off the line.
I've driven some fast cars and this actually shocked me!
Certainly not an everyday thing, but is fun for the occasions when you want to either embarrass a 911 driver (wink) or scare the living day lights out of a passenger!

The warnings exist but are not too severe, and as it is in the user manual as a feature they must expect people to use it!

Finally, yes, the RS6 will have similar take up off the line. It's really unavoidable with the vicious coupling in a tiptronic.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Having had my SQ for a month now I really notice a LOT of lag at light throttle input. Particularly noticeable when pulling out at junctions and having to give it more revs than I'm used to. Previous car was a 3.0tdi and never had this problem so quite surprised. Kinda reminds me of the GT TDI I had 6 years ago so maybe something specific to VAG turbo diesels? Certainly not the progressive power delivery of the BMW diesels, anything under 1500rpm seems to produce very noticeable lag. Also noticed the car starts in 1st gear vs 2nd gear in my previous car and even in 1st gear the lag is surprisingly noticeable. Don't suppose anything can be done to mitigate this other than mash the accelerator?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Give it plenty of revs as the noises get much louder if you do

·
Registered
157 Posts
Current batch of BMW's are ugly dogs, been there done that, fancied a change hence SQ5. Was hoping someone might have remapped their SQ5 and could report their experiences but seems nobody has. Maybe that would help with the lag but who knows.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Current batch of BMW's are ugly dogs.
How weird I was driving home up the M1 tonight and saw loads of fairly new 3 series, 5 series and a few X1's and I thought exactly the same, very ugly, especially the X1. For some reason I like the look of the X6 though!

I used to get quite a but of lag on my 3.0tdi A5 and I assumed the SQ would be similar but hoping with the extra power/torque it won't be as bad, if so I will be happy. Will definitely try LC when I get it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
258 Posts
No doubt the X1 Is not a pretty car,
X3 Is getting better(facelift model out In June/July better still)
X5..not too bad
X6.. has got something about It!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
X4? We are going off topic again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Saw the new X5 today - looks like one of those Chinese copies of European cars, what were BMW thinking?! X1 is hideous, X3 slightly less hideous, X4 haven't seen in the metal but doesn't look great in the pics, X5 as already stated, X6 I just don't get and they're making an X7 too! Not many decent looking SUV's really, Cayenne, ML350, new RR sport, SQ5 entirely subjective of course. I'm assuming lag in VAG diesels is par for the course then NICK-C?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah I guess so naq. Although maybe it's just the bigger engined ones. Just realised my old man's Q3 doesn't seem to suffer too much, he has the 2.0tdi 177bhp version. It's pretty nippy off the line.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts