Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

Lovin the SQ - had it a week now.... really having a good time in it in all the snow and ice over the past few days.... On day 3 of owning it... it was completely covered in over an inch of solid ice from freezing rain... took over an hour to chip away enough ice to get into it to start it ! The mirrors would not come down had to use a hair dryer to melt the ice... Have now set the mirrors to NOT fold in at least until winter is over !

Also, got the roof rack and ski/snowboard attachment installed and ran it up to the ski hills a couple of times this week... tons of fun... love the fact that the SQ5 roof height is lower that my old Volvo XC90... easy loading/unloading...

First, before I get into the questions below let me say a couple of things...

1. I think my questions below will only apply to SQ5 TFSI drivers... I would not expect the SQ5 TDI to act in the exact same way under same conditions (especially the torque comment)... but let me know if you think differently...

2. I recognize that the SQ5 is not a $300,000 super car or even a $100,000 sports car and I think my expectations are fairly reasonable for what the SQ5 is/should be...

3. I love driving this thing around town in plain old Comfort/Drive mode when I'm in that headspace where I just want to drop one of my kids off at a friends or zip to the arena in bad weather or whatever.... the SQ is great in that mode... it does what I'd expect... get me from A to B comfortably and stylishly in ANY road condition...

4. My short experience with Dynamic/Sport mode in the SQ5 TFSI under extreme aggressive acceleration (foot to the floor) is VERY, VERY GOOD... in fact, I'll go as far as saying BEAUTIFUL... The engine/exhaust sound is great... the feel is great... transmission shifts are great.... again... great for what the SQ5 is.... but I feel like in the middle of points 3 and 4 there's something not quite right...

Questions:
1. Has anyone noticed that when in Dynamic/Sport mode and you accelerate fairly aggressively.... ie say 75-80% throttle.... the transmission acts far too similarly to comfort mode ?
I find it shifts very early and often, it doesn't feel like 75-80% of the extreme punch of to the floor feel... it just isn't hanging onto a gear long enough to be a satisfying experience... it seems to kinda chop through the gears as quick as it can.... for fuel efficiency claims maybe ?

2. Does anyone feel that when in Dynamic/Sport mode and rolling at city street speeds 40-70km it seems to be selecting a gear one or even two too high?
I find when cruising or managing through traffic at those speeds when in Dynamic/Sport mode there is little to no burbly growl, the RPM is too low for my expectations, and subsequently sufficient torque is not immediately available.... ie.. it feels a little too much like comfort mode for the first second or 2 until the transmission drops a gear or 2 and the supercharger kicks in, it shouldn't need to do that in Dynamic/Sport mode, it should be in the gear that will give you that instant acceleration and torque...

3. Does anyone feel that the downshifting in Dynamic/Sport mode could be a little more aggressive?
It feels pretty clearly comfort mode to me ... I haven't felt or heard a downshift in Dynamic/Sport mode at all at any deceleration rate... I once had a VW EOS 2.0T that had basically the same transmission with sport mode but a 6 spd and I could feel and hear it downshifting far more aggressively than the SQ

I guess I am saying that to me, Dynamic/Sport mode is very impressive when I want to absolutely drive the #$%^ out of it with almost reckless abandon for a bit... but the stock transmission mapping doesn't seem to be able to give me 75-80% of that performance capability and growl around town.

I pretty much have to use the paddles and manually get that performance feel.... don't get me wrong... That's fun too !

I'm not unhappy with it... I'd just be more happy if I got that higher rev, growl around town without absolutely hammering it or going to the paddles everytime...
Is it just me ?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Glad you are enjoying mate and good review.

Like you say being a TDI owner I can't help too much, however I have noticed that Dynamic is quite temper-mental in that even though it is much more responsive and sounds better etc. sometimes it will feel like comfort (normally on a cold morning) and sometimes once you've worn into it a little it will feel like a racing car! Perhaps this is the problem with electric steering, either way though its not too big a problem.

Sorry i can't help anymore! Haven't tried the paddles yet though, maybe today

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Similarly, TDI owner, so all I can say is our low end torque means we don't have the same issues you mention...

Regarding the downshifts tho, don't forget this is an 8 speed slush box, so it will not be as good (particularly on downshift) as the DSG double clutch 6 speed in the Eos.

Try posting this on Audizine or Audiworld as they are US focussed, lots of SQ5 TFSI owners.
They're not as friendly as us tho

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...
I'll have a look at the other sites and see if anyone has posted something similar... no way they can be as friendly as this group tho ! :)

Jose... you're probably right on the EOS DSG transmission... it definitely felt a little more aggressive in certain situations... but I will say it wasn't perfect either...

Have a Happy New Year if I don't post before then (which is entirely possible)... hockey tournaments on the road for next few days.... a little more testing !

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the VAG transverse mount 6 speed DSG/S-Tronic. It was on a TT I had for a week (which incidentally is the same chassis platform as the Golf/Eos) and I never got on with it!

Happy New Year to you too! And hope you had a great Xmas!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts