Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have clicked 3,500km on my SQ5 TDI, Absolutely loving every second of the car. Now as the topic says Loud Exhaust my car is bone stock from factory, for the 3[sup]rd[/sup] or 4[sup]th[/sup] time now my car for about 10minutes mid drive gets so much louder I mean it's as if someone has added another sound actuator into the exhaust, that type of loud and to be honest it sounds unreal I couldn't believe it the 1[sup]st [/sup]& 2nd time it happened but thought it was my imagination, this time around I had passengers in the car and we could all tell there was a difference in the volume of sound coming out I'm soooo 100% positive it defiantly got loud for those few sweet minutes and just magically as it came it went back to usual. So we can figure out exactly my car settings were in Dynamic mode, it didn't matter whether transmission was in sport, drive or manual they all sounded sweet. (I really wish I tuned the engine sound to comfort which would have turned the sound actuators off and see if it was the actuators that got a burst of power or the engine/ exhaust system it's self) What I believe it may be…. The particulate filter was in a cleaning cycle burning out the gasses and that allows the exhaust to breath better hence louder sound but just a wild guess but it really is the only thing I can think off.

Surly someone else has noticed it, it's no concern as the car runs beautiful but I want to keep that sound on permanently it just sounded amazing!!

Please let me know if anyone else has noticed this I have asked around but can't seem to have an answer. My Audi dealer service department is closed over the weekends so I will ask them tomorrow on Monday

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Gota say I've had my sq 7 months and never noticed this extra noise 😄

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gota say I've had my sq 7 months and never noticed this extra noise ������
Very interesting, How many km's have you clocked up now?? have you noticed your particulate filter doing a cleaning cycle when switched off? it sounds like the fan is on and smells like burning rubber

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hi mate! My son is the page @carspottingslondon on Instagram and he mentioned he was talking to you about this.

Occasionally while we have been driving the exhaust has become a lot more throaty, we have about 4000 miles on it now, however when it does become throaty is stays deep for the whole journey and not just temporarily. It's funny how temper mental the Actuators are, sometimes louder than other times but always good no matter what. Will keep a look out over next few weeks for any more differences!

Reactions: Audi12345

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm now wondering if there's a VCDS setting that would enable the louder sound permanently? After all the sound comes from an amplified speaker from underneath the car.

MT

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok guys I have figured it out

How? Because It happened again!! this is now the 6th time and 3900km on the car.

Ok it is caused by the regeneration of the particulate filters... My original guess... So I'm driving back home the other day then all of a sudden a slight increase in sound from my car, This time I was prepared for it and tried to analyse everything happening turns out it was the particulate filter cleaning cycle but let me point some things to look out for because everyone of your cars will do it if not already done so. (SQ5 TDI)

When it is in it's cleaning cycle (long story short- filters stope the cars fumes from smelling/black smoke etc) once the filter gets to a stage where it has collected the yucky stuff it then needs to go through a regeneration cycle (clean it's self) so that it can collect new fumes to prevent emissions and the process repeats. during this regeneration i found out that diesel is injected into the exhaust which then ignites and burns out the particles in the filter the exhaust can get up to 800 degrees during this process. And believe me you can tell, I stood behind the car when parked and had someone rev it and OMG you will be lucky to get your hand within a foot to the exhaust it seriously blows some serious serious hot heat out. there will also be a fan that runs at the front of the car and if you turn the car off this fan will continue to run and you will smell something that of a burning rubber like smell.

So during the process the car;s exhaust sounds a bit louder especially around 3000rpm, now if you guys notice your fan is still running after you turn your car off and you can smell that rubber like smell I just described, just turn your car on again and put your hand behind the tail pipes and feel the heat for your selves, As for the sound it doesn't matter if actuators are on or off the sound is louder regardless but obviously more noticeable with actuators on.

So there you go people Im not crazy I hope with this information you will be able to see/ hear it for your selves
now where is the man that will figure out how to have the cars sound like that permanently

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Interesting read mate, well done on figuring it out though

Reactions: Audi12345

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys just seeing if anyone else has experienced this yet?? I found it's quiet regular now, I have noticed it does it after driving on the highway even if it's about 3 or so minutes around 90-100km/h (it's much easier to notice it when you come off as your RPM will vary on back roads rather then constant low RPM on the highway) I have also come to the collusion that it will do it when the fuel is between full tank and half tank. (not sure if that's 100% but thats when I notice it)
Kind regards

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Confirmed it will only do it when the fuel level is above half, I filled the car up today took it on the highway and almost immediately went into regeneration cycle.

Apparently there is some kind of valves in the exhaust.. works by pressure and the more revs you give it the more they open hence louder car... from what I believe during the regeneration cycle these valves stay open until the cycle is completed and thats why the car is louder (sounds incredible)

Would love to hear someone else's thoughts.. the loudest point (most noticeable- while driving pick up speed either 2nd or 3rd gear accelerate to 3200RPM back off and let car slow down without using any breaks, as the revs come back down you will notice a distant louder not around 2800RPM.

let me know how you go

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Guys come on, There is allot of SQ5 TDI owners here surely some of you have noticed a regeneration cycle in your car by now... It happened last night and I have to say it gets sooooo loud but in a good way. It feels like the entire exhaust is breathing better as well & you can pretty here the pressure being pushed out.

I'm so good with it now I can almost determine when it will happen. Been driving in allot of start stop traffic past week, I filled her up yesterday went on a 90km/ph road shifted into 8th gear pushed it up to the kick down as the turbos spooled up under load a few times I was purposely getting the exhaust hot. after no more then 3-4 attempts the car suddenly shifted down to 7th gear from 8th and the sound got louder and the whole car just felt amazing.

If you try it my advice is do it with dynamic on and get the RPM around 3000RPM you will instantly recognise what I'm talking about there is without any doubt it is louder.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Does it not just get louder because it has shifted down to 7th gear and thus the revs rise???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it not just get louder because it has shifted down to 7th gear and thus the revs rise???
Nope... it's definitely louder all round, idle to redline but its most noticeable in that 3000rpm reign. It gets louder due to the fact that diesel fuel is getting pumped into the exhaust and that gets the egt temp hot and burns all of the carbon out.. cleans it's self. If you have ever turned the car off and a fan is still going you will notice a burning rubber smell. It is not from thrashing the car and its acting like an after cool. It is simply finishing the regeneration cycle, If you turn your car back on and go for a drive you will see, and when you do turn it on just put your hand next to the exhaust tips you will feel the excessive heat coming out

·
Registered
529 Posts
Cant say ive noticed it either, mind you mine is much louder know ive fitted the exhaust sound unit so maybe its drowning out the natural rise in noise lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cant say ive noticed it either, mind you mine is much louder know ive fitted the exhaust sound unit so maybe its drowning out the natural rise in noise lol
Nope it most defiantly does not
, I have a sound booster fitted to my car as well about 3 months ago now
love the thing to bits and it actually just made that even louder... honestly it sounded like a bloody E46 M3 when I was giving it some around the city buildings haha (figure of speech). It's not a subtle difference Believe me, once you pick up on it you will instantly recognise it all the time. Keep the car in manual mode its harder to pick it up when it's in drive.... A classic example usually you can shift into 8th gear around 70km.. well when it's regeneration cycle it won't shift to 8th gear until above 90km
Wilf since you have booster fitted as well My god you will fall in love with it that much more for those 10-15 or so minutes when you hear it. I would do anything of the car to permanently sound like that.

But give it ago, This is how to -

fill the car up to the top with diesel and go onto the highway, dynamic mode, manual mode, 8th gear floor it up to the kick down so it stays in 8th gear, and keep accelerating 80km to 120km then break/slowdown back to 80km keeping it in 8th gear, it may take a few attempts it took me about 4 last night but you will see all off a sudden it will drop to 7th gear on it's own then it will be in it's regeneration cycle, shift down a few gears and let the RPM go up and down from 2800 to 3200RPM you will hear that noise that is oh so delicious.

If you drive on the highway all the time / recently it may have done it previously so maybe it may not but if you're in allot of start stop traffic it should most defiantly
Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts