Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew I'd read it somewhere:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Autos/Car-Reviews/Audi-SQ5-TDI-review-test-drive/Article1-962815.aspx

"There's something else that makes the SQ5 fun, and that's the sound the exhaust makes. When you dial up the 'Dynamic' mode on the Drive Select system, a sound actuator in the exhaust system makes this V6 sound like a V8. It's why you'll find yourself constantly pulling away from low speeds in a high gear, just to hear the cultured burble it makes."

The Indian jounalist may have been misinformed however one can't help noticing the rest of the article is well informed and the vehicle was road tested In Germany so probably Euro spec. I have spec'd Drive Select on my order - assuming that all of us with an SQ5 on order have never actually driven one and probably are all expecting the lovely exhaust burble - for £220 it's not worth the risk of not having the option...No?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Good Morning John, I cancelled Drive select as i was informed the Exhaust sound actuator switching on Drive select was only a US and Euro Option !! , Just reading the UK Jan spec on the SQ5 is states on page 21 " Active sound Exhaust system " standard equipment, Just looking in the cat on option " Audi Drive Select " Page 58 it does not mention anything about it altering Exhaust system sound ?? just says it gives you 5 options of changing Handling & Responses !!, We will never know unit they land, I'm hoping its on all cars due to not ordering Drive Select and as the orders can not be altered now only time will tell,
Maybe someone else can shed some light on this topic

Cheers for Info John

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other very real possibility is that the vehicles the press tested were all pre-production items - if you look carefully at the photos released at the time they all have the basic climate control/heater panels on the dash...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am under the impression that the sound activator is standard and 'comes in' regardless of Drive Select being specified. The brochure would suggest that this is the case.

ZED

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
its just a false sound pumped into the car via the speakers - i didn't think the difference was external.
seem to be the new "in" thing - my new 911 convertible has it too.

i really dont see the point on a diesel.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its just a false sound pumped into the car via the speakers - i didn't think the difference was external.
seem to be the new "in" thing - my new 911 convertible has it too.

i really dont see the point on a diesel.
There are several Youtube video clips that suggest that the burble sound is audible from outside the car - they have done some pipe plumbing I suspect. It's described as an 'Actuator' so that would indicate some sort of electro/mechanical device - a solenoid/motorised gizmo perhaps. Let's hope it's switchable...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
New 3.0 Biturbo 313PS engine explained
The new Biturbo engine is the third and most potent of the trio of 3.0-litre V6 diesels available in the A6 Saloon, delivering an impressive 313PS and 650Nm of torque. This superb performance powers the A6 Saloon from 0-62mph in just 5.1 seconds and onto an electronically limited top speed of 155mph. The Biturbo features an 8-speed Tiptronic gearbox which is perfectly suited to handling the high torque on offer.​

Sound actuator and active sound exhaust system
A new development appears for the first time in the 3.0 BiTDI - an innovative sound actuator integrated in the exhaust system which enhances the acoustics and perfectly emphasises the performance attributes of the engine. This feature consists of a speaker located in an auxiliary channel of the exhaust system, emitting a low, sonorous roar more traditionally experienced on high-performance petrol engines.​

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I seem to remember that the B7 V8 RS4 had a switch - that operated some sort of flap in the exhaust for hooligan moments - maybe Audi have done the same again?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
RS4/RS TT has a sport button that operated a flap via a vacuum hose (was also paid option on lesser TTs)
You could always on other audis just crimp that hose and have it remain open all the time rather than working off revs

·
Registered
91 Posts
Audi west London said its configurable in the drive select system - ie switch it on and off....however I'm not entirely clear/ convinced...even more so after the debate above. Also the drive select is a bit misleading as it says it changes the handling and responses....but don't know how... As it doesn't incorporate any suspension controls .... So I believe it remaps the engine responses and gear change response as well as allowing higher rev limits vs economy mode for example. But hey.. I'm a newbie and could really do with some expert input... Audi weren't exactly crystal clear....

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
On the A6 I test drove the actuator was definitely an on/off feature within Drive Select... I have Drive Select as an option on my SQ5 order so assumed it would work the same way.
Drive Select adjusts the steering weight (via Dynamic Steering if present) and throttle response - and on the normal Q5 would adjust the suspension we don't have as we have Lowered 'S' Suspension.

So I'm guessing with Drive Select on an SQ5 you can change actuator, steering weight (if Dynamic Steering is present) and throttle response (but not suspension). Without Drive Select we will have to see, I would guess the actuator will either always be on, or they will add an option for it to the MMI in the Car Setup menu?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Without drive select...is there a sport mode anyway I.e. just quicker box response/higher rev hold?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Good question... not sure?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In all the interior pictures that have been released for SQ5 there is an 'S' position on the shift selector - is it Sport or 'Scamper' mode I can never quite remember?
The German SQ5 brochure link that got posted a few days ago did give some more details of Drive Select and what could be set but there was no reference anywhere in the whole document about the Sound Actuator. The doc was dated September 2012 and the order books opened in November - maybe the final spec was a moving target and not finalised?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
S on the gear selector is definitely sport - its a 'soft' position, by which I mean you pull back from D and it will pop forward again to the D position but the dash will then show S (pull it again to go back to D).
This would be an easy way to activate the actuator... I would ask my dealer but as I have Drive Select I'm happy to continue assuming it will be as the A6 variant.
You can also knock it over to the side from the D position for full manual, which I would also hope would enable the actuator if they are going to use this is a control method for it.

Also - I know if you put Drive Select into Dynamic it puts the gearbox into the above Sport mode without the need to pull the lever back...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts