Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called Hatfield Audi to book my car in as the indicator on the dash came on to tell me that I need an interim service.
The car is 11 months old and has 9000 miles.
Firstly I got redirected to a call centre who told me that I could not use my own oil due to health and safety (!!)
So, I called the dealer direct and managed to get through to a very helpful guy in service called Mike. He said no problem using my own oil, and the bill would decrease by approx £100 for the 7 litres of oil (the call centre inc-oil-quote was £267.88)
However, when he'd taken all the details, he told me that I don't need a service at all. That the indicator on the dash was incorrectly set to 'short service' when it should be 'long service'. He said that a lot of cars are incorrectly set from the factory. The first oil/inspection should be at 2 years or 19,000 miles (whichever comes first)

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
Only part of the story.

If you do mostly short journeys, Audi recommend oil change at yearly intervals.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange . He was adamant. I do 200 miles every weekend on motorways and A/B roads and then local journeys all week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still a bit confused about all this. I phoned another dealer to check and they basically said it's up to me...
Either I can have the oil service now at 1 year old and thence forth every other year (year 1, 3, 5, 7....)
Or I can align it with the inspection service at 2, 4, 6, 8....
This is assuming I keep to 9500 miles per year

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
Audi advise annual oil change if one does mainly short journeys. Some owners feel 2 years between oil change risks premature engine wear.

This subject has been debated before. I would suggest you search for fuller discussion on the pros and cons of long life servicing.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Strange . He was adamant. I do 200 miles every weekend on motorways and A/B roads and then local journeys all week

I would forget the interim service (oil change) for now.
I was in same situation just over a year ago,
I'd booked my car in at dealers, because the indicator/warning came up on MMI at 9,000 miles.
Took it in, had a courtesy car waiting for me etc, but when the service engineer saw that I'd only done the 9,000 he actually asked me why I'd come in so early!
Somewhat confused, I explained "because the MMI had told me too, obviously".
He didn't ask about short or long journeys, he just said there's absolutely no need for it, as the long life oil Audi use is more than good for 19,000 miles.
I told him as long as it doesn't affect warranty in any way ( it doesn't) I'd prefer to wait until 19k
He came out to the car and reset the program, to alert me at 19,000 miles.
I got to the next alert without problem or incident and did the oil change/service combined.
Just go for that, especially with your long-ish haul weekend drives.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
500 miles of journeys next week alone so I'll stick to the 19k miles I think. I'll put the oil I bought on the shelf in the garage until next year

·
Registered
126 Posts
My Q5 cone up with a service due notification 11 months in at around during 7000miles. I was told my audi Watford that the mmi is incorrectly programed at factory and that the service should be done every 2 years or 19000 miles whichever comes sooner. But the telephone booking call centre are a bunch of money grabbing incompetent tossers who have no knowledge what so ever. I was bit dubious about their strange knowledge so I went direct to the dealer. I was told for any future queries to bypass the call centre as they get a lot of dissatisfied customers complaining. Top service by audi Watford everytine. My experience has been they not like other dealers looking good to rob you blind (mercedes)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts