Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else find that the SQ5 seems to attract the loons? I, perhaps naively, thought that buying a performance SUV would allow me to discreetly sweep under the radar of most of the road bullies, aggressive drivers, crazies etc by buying an SUV with decent performance as opposed to a recognised performance car like M3, RS4. It seems I've very much mis-judged. Have had numerous cars block me, cut me up, change lanes to prevent me from overtaking at road legal speeds, challenge me to a race (Fabia VRS wanted to play last night, 335d cut me up on the way home from work today even though I had no interest in a race and was just travelling with the flow of traffic, even a Mondeo estate taxi thought he could have me!), white vans, Mercs. It's starting to piss me off if I'm honest. Not had this before as my previous 330d just looked like any other rep mobile. Anyone else found this?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An SUV thing then? I've been surprised by the behaviour of other road users. Don't think I've ever treated SUV drivers any different in the past.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
I am suppressed uv had this trouble ,it's not like the sq5 is flash,or even considered a w£&@//?s car ,I haven't had this problem,or unwanted attention 😄

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm surprised too Daza. Thought I was buying relatively invisible performance SUV. Maybe I should 'project Kahn' it and have flames shooting out the rear for all the dicks that want to claim a scalp.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Noon there to much,lol, ud b trippeling the boy racers then,even so u wouldn't b getting scalped that often ,if at all,the sq performance is still a bit of a secret, under 6 is gr8 4 a subtle SUV 😄😄

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I've noticed that using the SQ5's grunt to move briskly away from roundabouts does seem to excite drivers of other supposedly quick cars, even though I've no axe to grind with anyone or desire to use the road as a race-track. The usual result is for the apparently offended individual wanting to blast past a couple of miles further down the road.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I've had the same thing all the time mate.
It's strange as my wife hates it and after reading your comment I can see why it pisses you off, but for some strange reason I like the attention!

When I bought the car I did know for a fact that it would be a sleeper and you're certainly right it does draw a lot more attention than I thought, personally not a bad thing but for the other half she gets very angry when on way to work or school runs...Do you drive with Dynamic? Or have exhaust sound on high? that could attract a lot of attention but thats mainly from pedestrians.

Funnily enough the other day I was in the car driving at road legal speed (40mph zone) and some ass*ole in a Clio RS wanted to do an illegal overtake on a very busy road. Every time i looked in the wing mirrors i could see him jutting out looking for a clear, and every time there was one i accelerated viscously to trap him
Brilliant fun for dickhead drivers like that...probably lasted about 4 times he attempted to overtake, never happened...

·
Registered
952 Posts
My wife commented today I have become a boy racer again since getting the SQ5
. Can't imagine its anything to do with accelerating past pedestrians to get a bit of noise going lol. Loving my new toy!!!

Reactions: ray.afzal

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had the same thing all the time mate.
It's strange as my wife hates it and after reading your comment I can see why it pisses you off, but for some strange reason I like the attention!

When I bought the car I did know for a fact that it would be a sleeper and you're certainly right it does draw a lot more attention than I thought, personally not a bad thing but for the other half she gets very angry when on way to work or school runs...Do you drive with Dynamic? Or have exhaust sound on high? that could attract a lot of attention but thats mainly from pedestrians.

Funnily enough the other day I was in the car driving at road legal speed (40mph zone) and some ass*ole in a Clio RS wanted to do an illegal overtake on a very busy road. Every time i looked in the wing mirrors i could see him jutting out looking for a clear, and every time there was one i accelerated viscously to trap him
Brilliant fun for dickhead drivers like that...probably lasted about 4 times he attempted to overtake, never happened...
I do use dynamic as I love the sound it makes which was one of the reasons I bought the car but I'm not sure how noticeable that is to drivers of following cars. As you say pedestrians certainly seem to notice it but I wonder if it's the quad exhaust which gets other drivers a bit excited. Not much I can do about that so I'll just have to try not to take the bait when a 2.0tdi hero wants to prove himself.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yes I get idiots trying to race me, cutting me up etc etc. it was an eye-opener at first and I questioned if I was doing anything to encourage it, but I concluded that the rear badge just encourages people to behave like that round the SQ - which is bizarre. Even my wife has noticed it too, and she generally drives like Miss Daisy ( took her three months to venture into 'S' mode lol)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hahah I think the quad exhaust are the main give away...
I think I have learnt to take it as a compliment now, they are admiring how fast the car looks so they want to challenge it, and like naq5 said if a 2.0tdi hero is trying to prove himself we can happily prove him wrong

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hahah I think the quad exhaust are the main give away...
I think I have learnt to take it as a compliment now, they are admiring how fast the car looks so they want to challenge it, and like naq5 said if a 2.0tdi hero is trying to prove himself we can happily prove him wrong
Agreed. It's annoying most times but guess you have to live with it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts