Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 SQ5 with 1500 miles on the clock and generally I am very pleased with the car especially the performance and handling. I am however disappointed with the traffic and general noise that enters the car when I am driving along. It sounds like my window is lowered all the time and when you go past cars it sounds way too loud/intrusive and I have had passengers comment on it. My previous car was a TT RS so I haven't come from an S class Merc or such like and my TT RS was much quieter. I have sent the car into Audi for the door seals/windows to be check and technician agreed with me on the test drive about the noise however I was fobbed with the usual "we have checked everything and it looks fine" type comment after leaving it there for a whole day.

Is this normal for Q5's or do I have an inherent fault with the car that's taking the edge off the ownership experience? I obviously enjoy the engine noise and I can live with tyre rumble but I find excessive traffic and wind noise unacceptable for the price of the car.

All thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My Q5 is incredible quiet and insulated and I am not aware of external traffic noise any more than my previous A3

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Cant say I've noticed. I also have had numerous TT RSs and id say the SQ is pretty good in terms of road noise.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Much superior noise insulation in comparison to my previous Evoque.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have Q5 2.0l and the insulation seems good from wind & traffic.
Road noise from tyres yes,, I can hear the change on various surfaces.
I would print this thread out and take it to your dealership, something is not right it seems.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Im with the rest on here, not noticed any excessive noise?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankyou for all the responses, it is reassuring that not all Q5/SQ5's have this problem and I should be able to do something about mine.
Interestingly I found a grey plastic grommet in the footwell not long after I picked the car up. I did show it to the Audi technician and he seemed to have no idea where it was from and I never saw it again strangely enough.
From doing some research the closest picture I can find is a grey panel moulding grommet. Its a shame I still don't have it as I could identify it exactly from the part number printed on it I guess?

·
Registered
343 Posts
SQ5 certainly no worse than our old Q5 - I noticed that there is a new option for MY2015 3 lItre cars of VW6 Double glazed side and rear windows with privacy glass for £380.00

·
Registered
706 Posts
What wheel size and tyre brand have you got.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got the standard 20 inch wheels and Michelin tyres but the tyre noise is not a problem. The sound feels like there is no sound insulation in the doors or the rubber door seals are non existent as the noise from passing traffic reverberates right through the car making it sound like you are driving with the window fully down all the time. I have checked the windows and the glass seems to be going all the way up and is fully sealed. Its a mystery!

·
Registered
814 Posts
is the luggage compartment door closing and sealing properly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got the powered boot but the gaps do look quite big. I will have a go at comparing to another Q5. Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Go back to your dealer, there must be an issue as my SQ5 is just fine. Your dealer also should have another car you can compare against.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I moved to the Q5 from an A6 and was expecting it to be less refined with more wind noise given it's truck like stance but was very pleasantly surprised from day 1 how refined it was and certainly a match for the A6 Allroad in terms of overall noise. Worse from a road noise point of view with 20" rims & Latitiude Sports, compared to 18" & Pilot SuperSports on A6 but engine refinement is better than the 3.0 V6 Diesel in the Allroad. Cannot yet comment on refinement comparison at high speed yet, an A6 strength, as not been anywhere to do this safely/legally.
Sounds like Q5ster may have a faulty car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with hector,I thought my evoque was pretty quiet until we test drove the sq last week it was almost silent in comparison (except the exhaust)

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've got the powered boot but the gaps do look quite big. I will have a go at comparing to another Q5. Is this a common problem?
I don't know if it's a common problem, it was just a suggestion as it's such a large door that if it was not adjusted correctly, it could easily leave gaps.
I also have the electrically operated tailgate, and at first couldn't believe it was securely closing, as it does it so gently.
I believe there could be room for error there maybe.
I would ask your salesrep to come for a drive with you again, and then take any other Q5 from showroom for a drive with him.
If there is obvious difference you need to start demanding action or even replacement.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts