Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a 9 month wait I finally picked up my Ibis White SQ5 today and had a 250 mile drive home in lovely sunshine, a nice day to pick up a new car. After driving a BMW 330d for 5 years it's quite a difference driving an SUV. First impressions:
  • Haven't really tested the power yet while I run it in (I know some say it's not necessary but I always treat my cars gently for the first few thousand miles) but it is effortless on the motorway and acceleration at motorway speeds is a step up from my previous car.
  • Engine noise particularly in dynamic mode is a lovely rumble not unlike a V8, one of the reasons I bought this car in the first place. I've already had a few quizzical looks from people I've driven past when in dynamic mode.
  • Fuel economy over 250 miles is showing as 40.3 mpg on the dash but no doubt it's a bit below that. That's not hyper-miling either and keeping up with the flow of traffic. Not too bad for a 2 tonne car with over 300bhp and only slightly down on the 48 mpg I got from my 228 bhp 330d.
  • Sound system is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the BMW (and I don't have the Bose upgrade as I actually prefer the standard setup with my untrained non-audiophile ears).
  • Visibility is great particularly with the big dumbo ears for wing mirrors.
  • Ride comfort also better than the BMW presumably thanks to normal tyres and not the horrible run flats BMW insist on using these days and this is despite the increase in wheel size from 18" to 20".
  • I wasn't expecting a spare wheel but I have a collapsible spare in the boot which was a nice bonus. Electric seats are also nice.
  • Nice looking for an SUV.
I do have some minor quibbles although these might disappear into the background once I've had the car for a while.
  • Some rather cheap looking hard plastics around the stereo and in fact the volume controls appear to be made of cheap silver effect plastic which is a step down on what I had before. The rest of the interior is a significant step up from the somewhat bland BMW interior particularly as I opted for the 2 tone red leather interior but the plastics around the stereo controls do detract from it somewhat.
  • Steering feels a little twitchy on the motorway and I had to make constant small adjustments to the steering wheel (I didn't opt for dynamic steering). This might simply be me adjusting to the increased ride height and having to adjust my steering inputs accordingly but it meant I had to concentrate on steering input more than I was expecting.
  • Other drivers seem offended by the thought of being overtaken by an SUV and I've already had numerous white van's and 250cdi Merc's try it on. Very strange behaviour particulary one middle aged gent in a CLS 250 cdi overtaking me repeatedly then slowing down in front of me. I look forward to being free of my own self imposed running in period.
That's about it for now but so far very happy.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Nice first write up.

I say give it the beans! The engine will be much freer revving in the long run... Plus Audi significantly limit it's max output until some point over 10k (13 for me) so you can't hurt it.

Can't say I have experienced the disgruntled overtakee - I'm always too far up to the road already for them to have a chance to come back at me

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??

·
Banned
289 Posts
Interesting first impressions.

• Steering feels a little twitchy on the motorway and I had to make constant small adjustments to the steering wheel (I didn't opt for dynamic steering). This might simply be me adjusting to the increased ride height and having to adjust my steering inputs accordingly but it meant I had to concentrate on steering input more than I was expecting.
That's the one "issue" I have with my new SQ5. The steering does feel a bit twitchy around the straight-ahead, and it does need more concentration. Most German cars are rock solid in "autobahn" mode, where there is very little need to adjust the steering..

I've been wondering about the tyre pressures, but I've not had time to have a look yet...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Great stuff, glad to hear you've finally collected it. I couldn't resist giving mine a blast from the off! I'm impressed you've not been tempted too!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
See a lot of people complained of poor steering on the early MY13's - then there was a steering update (which seemed to be released twice, the first one seemed to botch it, second time they got it right). I have the update and can say it's much better and not so 'dead' around the centre as it used to be.

You would have thought MY14 cars would have the fix already applied. The other option is early MY13 was awful, and they have made it slightly better so now I think its OK. In reality its still not great compared to other German cars?

But then I've been driving an A6 all week, and it seems the same as the SQ5 is now...

Just talking out loud - going to stop now!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great write up! Hope you have many more happy miles!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
U no wat,I've had mine 7 months,and still 2day I got that feeling of gr8 pleasure from it,deff ain't bored yet ,enjoy 😄

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Interesting first impressions.

That's the one "issue" I have with my new SQ5. The steering does feel a bit twitchy around the straight-ahead, and it does need more concentration. Most German cars are rock solid in "autobahn" mode, where there is very little need to adjust the steering..

I've been wondering about the tyre pressures, but I've not had time to have a look yet...
It sounds as though I am not the only one who has experienced this then. I put it down to one bit of the M4, with possible grooves in the road from heavy lorries; the short drive I had on the M32 didn't seem to exhibit the same problem. I haven't been on the motorway much since so I will watch out for this in future.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have the same issue with the steering.... great going round tight corners but needs a lot of minor adjustment on the straights. Six months in I still think it's a fine SUV, but if I did a lot of motorway driving rather than A roads, then I may have thought about changing cars (again).

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Great write up mate, nice to hear you're enjoying. Your thoughts on the colour?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great write up mate, nice to hear you're enjoying. Your thoughts on the colour?
I like Ibis White, looks nice with the standard wheels (but better with the 21's due to their darker colour and the contrast with the white paint). I actually wanted Daytona Grey as I think it's the best colour Audi currently do but wasn't willing to pay £2k extra. I also considered Lava Grey like your car which looks lovely and I did swap a few times before sticking with Ibis. The main thing you lose with white is the contrast with the wing mirrors which is one of the few visible distinguishing features of Audi S models but it also makes the car less noticeable which I quite like. Most people will think it's just another Q5 which suits me fine particularly when I fancy a play

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few other things I forgot to mention in my first impressions.
  • DAB radio is fantastic - crystal clear and it's like going from non HD t.v. to HD, or maybe that was just another consequence of how poor my previous sound system and radio was.
  • Without wishing to labour the point I'll say again that even the standard Audi sound system is so much better than the BMW one it's embarrassing although I do find myself lowering the stereo so I can listen to the exhaust rumble
  • Electronic hand brake is unusual but it frees up a bit of space in the cabin and it's not like I'll ever be doing handbrake turns in it anyway so no loss really.
  • Quattro makes a predictably noticeable difference to RWD particularly when getting the power down much earlier and with more confidence something I noticed when I gave it a squirt coming off a roundabout and got a bit of a shock at how well it stuck to the road and the subsequent speed I caught up with the car in front.
  • The 2 tone red leather interior really sets the interior off. It's not too bright or too dark and the Nappa leather feels very nice. The red/white combo also works particularly well in my opinion. View attachment 2809

<script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//=a.offsetWidth&&0>=a.offsetHeight)return!1;a=this.j(a);var c=a.top.toString()+y+a.left.toString();if(this.b.hasOwnProperty©)return!1;this.b[c]=!0;return a.top<=this.c[p]&&a.left<=this.c[m]};O[r].l=function(){for(var a=[F,G],c=[],d={},b=0;b

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
That leather looks gr8 ,I'd deff b going 4 that combo ,wen new shape comes out 😄

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
And hopefully by then Daytona or a similar metallic grey is not 2k on the sq 😄

·
Banned
489 Posts
Interior looks amazing. Nice one!

·
Banned
289 Posts
Unusual to see an SQ5 without the Nav / Tech pack. It makes the gear lever surroundings look quite different.

Reactions: ray.afzal

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nice impression, thanks.

I agree on the steering, not Audi's best expertise; but indeed, the update improved it quite a bit.

Indeed, Quattro, the tunnel in between the seats looks a lot different without the MMI system or whatever they call it;

Nice color combinations, enjoy it

·
Registered
596 Posts
naq5 - congratulations, well done and enjoy the beast.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Ah glad you're enjoying mate. You didn't go for sat nav?! Quattro I was thinking same.

One guy put the Wing Mirros in charcoal black and looks amazing, may want to consider?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts