Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evenings

SQ5 build week 5, still looking to add more goodies

Can anyone give me your thoughts on the flat bottom wheel? Never drove a car with this, any benefits, or is it purely for looks ?

Is the B & O sound worth the bucks?

Appreciated

Mark, Aberdeen, Scotland....

SQ 5. = monsoon grey , 21" round wheels, tech pack high, reverse camera, pan roof, audi select, memory & heated seats, carbon atlas inlays

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Welcome.

I have FBW on a few cars, no real benefits tbh, some may say access is easier. Didn't bother with it on the Q.
B&O is pretty good, you need to try it for yourself would be my view. Basic system is very good.
The B&O offered for the Q is not the same as offered in other higher models, view the upgrade based on the price - that should guide your view in the terms of the difference between the two.

·
Banned
289 Posts
I was really undecided about the FBW - it's a low-cost option, so it's not about the cash, but in the end, I decided the SQ5 looked better with the regular wheel.

As for the B&O, in the SQ5, it seems quite expensive for what you get, although I never got around to any kind of comparison with the standard system, and in the end, decided to do without it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I've opted for both the FBW mainly because of looks, and the B&O because of our family love of club music
Will let you know more about them both when it arrives on Thursday!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've got B&O in my current Q and love the quality of the sound. It's not the loudest, but the clarity is top notch. I had FBSW on my Scirocco and the missus has it on her A3, I think they look and feel great.

Needless to say, I've ordered both the B&O and FBSW on my SQ5!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hello and welcome.

I have ordered both, the B&O because I am a bit of a HiFi nut and like the sound.
The flat bottom wheel will be a first for me and liked the look of it.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I studied acoustical engineering and so am also a hifi nut. As such I agree with the above that the clarity is well worth the money over the standard system.
The standard system is actually louder/bassier (so may be more suited to club Ray...).
A lot of people (particularly those over a certain age as you lose clarity in the second half of life) will not hear the difference with the B&O and so if you listen to both and can't tell the difference don't bother spending the cash.
Note also that the B&O has a fully digital amplifier, so is better for listening to digital sources like MP3 from SD/Jukebox as there is less DAC going on...

FBSW I got as I think it adds to the sporting look. As the car is so big the traditional reason of leg room doesn't apply.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: ray.afzal

·
Registered
529 Posts
The RS6 Avant at the Audi showcase was fitted with the FBSW and having tried one i was glad mine was specked without one.
B&Q is ok but wouldn't bother specking it / paying for it again

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Ah dammit I should have shared my music taste earlier Jose! Will have to wait and see now

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Good to hear and relieving too

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Good to hear and relieving too
Don't get me wrong, it will sound great. I listen to a lot of dubstep and 90s dance and it's perfectly adequate.
My comment was a little tongue I cheek, and maybe suggesting club music usually emanates from cars with highly modified ICE running a pair of 12 inch subs - the system closest to this would be the standard one.
The B&O has plenty of bass (enough to vibrate the rear view mirror with ease), but it's in proportion with the mid/treble and you are not able to drive the speakers beyond their capabilities and so keeps perfect clarity even at the high end of the volume knob, whereas the standard system you can crank the bass out of proportion and get it louder overall but in doing so will sacrifice the clarity/quality (incidentally I find 2 thirds volume is PLENTY for when a great track comes on and you want to get your bop on!).

As mentioned, you won't be disappointed and shouldn't be worried!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fbsw looks great. But difficult to steer with your knees when you're texting and drinking coffee :)

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Fbsw is a nice touch and I believe it looks better,good value considering its £600 added afterwords,the b&o is ample quality,like Jose said ,and volume seems enough and never distorts ,I think worth the £ 😄

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good mornings all

I thank you very much to take the time and comment on your experiences, they will all contribute to my decisions

As a sideline hobby I have a wee independent record label and flat response studio set up. I do like my dance tunes and will not fall into the fundamental mistake and focus on "loudness" but concentrate on "clarity" of the frequency spectrum.

But I'm also thinking I don't want to compromise the sound of the beast under my right foot with EDM beats.....

Gonna look for on the tinterweb for the frequency ranges, if I find, I'll post.....

As for the FBW, I'm doing ok with round nowadays, think ill keep it like that

Cheers

Snoozy Sundays.....

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Good mornings all

I thank you very much to take the time and comment on your experiences, they will all contribute to my decisions

As a sideline hobby I have a wee independent record label and flat response studio set up. I do like my dance tunes and will not fall into the fundamental mistake and focus on "loudness" but concentrate on "clarity" of the frequency spectrum.

But I'm also thinking I don't want to compromise the sound of the beast under my right foot with EDM beats.....

Gonna look for on the tinterweb for the frequency ranges, if I find, I'll post.....

As for the FBW, I'm doing ok with round nowadays, think ill keep it like that

Cheers

Snoozy Sundays.....
I think you're going to need the B&O then! The frequency response is much better than the standard. I say 'much' because I am sensitive to it, but with your hobby I would suspect you are too.
My car is where I enjoy my tunes as currently living in a flat I can't exercise my B&W system so the sound quality was very important to me - can't wait to move to a house next year!

Link to B&O site for Q5 system http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/car-audio/car-models/audi/SQ,-,5

Reactions: Marklawrence
1 - 20 of 25 Posts