Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi all,

After 1 week and a 1000 miles on the road with my SQ5 the following bullet points:

POSITIVE:
- build quality: solid as a rock
- exhaust sound: oh yeah
- good quality options
- engine noise isolation
- fuel consumption
- ride quality on good roads (firm and smooth)

NEGATIVE:
- gearbox needs to be in sportive mode if you want to make some revs; in D it is too jumpy above 2500 rpm and in S it is too nervous below 2500rpm; so, you need to choose: below 2500 rpm D is smooth and perfect; above 2500 rpm S is quick and alert
- squeaking brakes
- windscreen wipers are not solid enough
- ride quality on bad roads (very bumpy)

I cannot comment on the actual potential of the engine as I did not yet rev it above 3000rpm.

Anyhow, no major disapointments and still addicted to the speed and sound

·
Registered
325 Posts
More pics please

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thanks RobinT - after quite a few Audi S models I'd expect the ride to be firm bordering on harsh in any road surface that's less than smooth.

Do you still believe that suspension settings are changeable in Drive Select, and if so does the comfort setting make any difference?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I cannot wait for mine now!!!!!

With regard to Sport Mode, the Q5 2.0TDI is not so dissimilar. The difference 'tween Drive and Sport mode is like chalk and Cheese. It is this difference that gives you the option of driving economically. It is simple to change to Sport when you need that extra performance.

Had you previously driven the 2.0 TDI and if so, would you agree?

ZED

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jamiekip, more pics at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200882513972310.1073741827.1448594185&type=1

John, yes, the dampers are harder in dynamic mode and softer in comfort mode

ZED, indeed, very easy to change between D and S, but I need to get used to it. Before I drove a Cayenne that did not have an S mode. The cayenne box was both smooth and alert at the same time, you could control it perfectly with the gas paddle, no need to put it in a different mode.

Just a matter of getting used to it

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thanks RobinT, appreciated.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That's great. Nice spec

thanks

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nice looking car Robin T, how do you feel the ride would be if you had chosen the 21" Alloys, would it be a bit harsh ?

Cheers Merlin

·
Registered
348 Posts
Merlin, it'll be quite hard and a bit more noisy probably.

I am getting a bit older and I have been driving with quite a lot of low profile tyres in the past, now it is time for a bit more comfort
Also the 21" tyres will be more sensitive to damage as well

As always it is a choice between comfort or looks

You can always buy new alloys down to 19"
That i will do for winter tyres anyhow

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car is ibis white. Glacier white is slightly more silver

And ibis white is very easy to paint after an accident

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Robin

It seems a slightly unusual way of choosing paint colour to me, basing it on being very easy to paint after an accident!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, if you do 40,000 miles of motorway a year the front of the car quickly looks terrible because of the stone impacts

Every 2 years I have the front of the car painted again so it keeps in reasonable condition

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well, if you do 40,000 miles of motorway a year the front of the car quickly looks terrible because of the stone impacts

Every 2 years I have the front of the car painted again so it keeps in reasonable condition
Fair enough - how long do you usually keep your cars doing that milage? 40,000 a year wow!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all,

In the meantime 3000 miles and the following additional comments:

- got used to the double character of the gearbox and it is fantastic, D for easy driving, S for racing, perfect
- squeaking brakes become worse, so far the only negative technical issue
- also getting used to the harder suspension, certainly acceptable
- did a 9 hour drive today and stepped out fresh without back pain, so, good long distance cruiser
- had 1 crash of the satnav system, restarted automatically, but all saved addresses were gone
- FUEL CONSUMPTION is amazingly good given the power and speed of the car: 7 l/100km (you guys do the conversion) is perfectly possible with gentle driving; in order to get 9l you can already race it quite a bit; only short sprint will give high consumption
- The top speed of 250 km/h can be reached without any problem, see below movie I made today while driving in Germany. I gave 70% throttle and aborted too soon because I do not want to push it to the limit yet. so at full throttle it will climb fester and reach higher top speed

Very pleased with the car so far.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200955100146919&l=1458593419255037968

All the best

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Fantastic, i'm looking more forward to my new car more and more everyday, especially when we are reading genuine feedback from genuine owners, shame we don't have any in this country yet, wont be long thou, Cheers Robin T thanks for info your definatly getting the use from the car, best way its there to be driven !

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After one week not being able to drive it (business trip to South Africa) I jumped in the SQ5 again today for the last 500 miles of the warm up 4000 miles...

After a few weeks of extremely difficult discipline and gentle rev build-up, I finally reached the 'pedal to the medal' mileage this afternoon.

so, after a 200 mile engine warm-up I did some red revving... f*cking A, this is a fast car at all times on any road.

At the motorway doing 80 mph, pushing the pedal 100% down, it shifts back and like a rocket it shoots forward and it keeps going like hell.
At the stopping lights, already looooooooooooooooooooooooooong gone before the rest realizes it turned green again
In curves, very balanced !

My cayenne was already quite faster than the average traffic, but this one is really in the territory of supercars.
It really is the combination of bhp and torque that makes this car so fast,

I already realize one thing, you really do need to encounter a Ferrari, Porsche Turbo, Corvette or something of that category to loose in sprints (and even then still pritty close).

Today I already did some sprints on the motorway with a Bentley Continental GT who wanted to make fun of me... I think that nice blonde lady wish she was sitting in my car after we were done, not one time was he able to catch up with me in the sprints from 80 to 150 mph... the massive torque does it all...

TWO IMPORTANT REMARKS TO ALL OF YOU BEFORE YOU GO PUSHING THE SQ5 LIMITS:
- make sure the engine is at full temperature, so drive it at least 20 miles, preferably 50 before you hit it
- check the tyre pressure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I noticed the tyre pressure from the factory was way too low, and that can be dangerous at high speed curving.

Anyhow, I am there were I wanted to be ASAP, enough mileage to go full throttle with the car; and it brings joy my friends, a lot of it !

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
OMG - I cannot wait! Bentley muncher!!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts