Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first new car that i truly care about. My last Audi was a 2005 A4 Avant that i treated well but I also ran it through the local car wash which does a very average job. I wanted to get some advice on how to best care for my paint. Questions include;

1) What is the best soap to use when washing?

2) What is the best procedure for waxing and what wax or sealer product do you recommend?

3) Any other tips?

Thanks!

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
I never use a car wash. Any grit trapped in the brushes will scratch your paint.

Use a good quality detergent designed for cars, currently I use Maguiars

I use a jet wash or the two bucket hand wash technique.

Lots of useful info on this site > WWW.polishedbliss.co.uk They will detail your car or sell everything you could possibly need for DIY at reasonable prices with free delivery.

·
Banned
489 Posts
As per missile - never use an automatic carwash or any sort of brushes manually anytime. Get the paintwork and wheels sealed (use a detailer as mentioned if you want it done properly). Buy a woollen or microfiber mitt and use the 2 bucket method. Get it resealed every 12 months. Many of us have used various sealers and products. I had mine sealed with GTechniq products. It makes it much easier to clean.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Some interesting info there.
Some of the companies in the links advise a complete detailing of a brand new car, straight from manufactures.
They are claiming because of the travelling involved etc the car paintwork/alloys etc will/can be badly tainted.

With Audi's reputation to uphold, is this an issue with them?
I assumed my car will be delivered spotless and polished to perfection?
Anyone with good or bad experiences in this?
Is a £200-300 sealing and waxing etc from independent professional company worth considering? any possible affect on warrany?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
About 50% of people on this forum have had their own detailer either go to Audi and do it before delivery, or expressly asked Audi not to do their usual prep and had it done as soon as it gets home.

The problem is most dealers employ a couple of kids on minimum wage to wash the cars prior to delivery - this means you don't get the car in what I would call 'show room condition' in fact no car on any forecourt I have seen has been in that condition due to this. So also don't get duped into the paint protection Audi can apply at the dealership - 90% of how good the protection is comes down to the application of the product so don't let minimum wage kids do it...

There are always small defects etc on the car when after shipping - sometimes pretty bad ones... A good detailer will buff these out back to perfection though. I prefer to have my detailer go to the dealership, check the car before he does any work, report all defects to the dealership in case there are any he cannot buff out and then detail it (assuming there are no major issues).

I paid my own detailer to give the car the full works at the dealership and I wasn't disappointed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
814 Posts
About 50% of people on this forum have had their own detailer either go to Audi and do it before delivery, or expressly asked Audi not to do their usual prep and had it done as soon as it gets home.

The problem is most dealers employ a couple of kids on minimum wage to wash the cars prior to delivery - this means you don't get the car in what I would call 'show room condition' in fact no car on any forecourt I have seen has been in that condition due to this. So also don't get duped into the paint protection Audi can apply at the dealership - 90% of how good the protection is comes down to the application of the product so don't let minimum wage kids do it...

There are always small defects etc on the car when after shipping - sometimes pretty bad ones... A good detailer will buff these out back to perfection though. I prefer to have my detailer go to the dealership, check the car before he does any work, report all defects to the dealership in case there are any he cannot buff out and then detail it (assuming there are no major issues).

I paid my own detailer to give the car the full works at the dealership and I wasn't disappointed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Wow,
it's amazing what you can learn,
This wouldn't have entered my head a day or two ago.

So Audi would have no problem with me saying 'Don't touch it please, I'm sending someone else to work on it..on your premises' !
Wouldn't they start banging on about voiding the paintwork and alloys warranty if a 3rd party is involved ??!!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Wow,
it's amazing what you can learn,
This wouldn't have entered my head a day or two ago.

So Audi would have no problem with me saying 'Don't touch it please, I'm sending someone else to work on it..on your premises' !
Wouldn't they start banging on about voiding the paintwork and alloys warranty if a 3rd party is involved ??!!
Mine and most others are fine - at the end of the day, they know the pro you are bringing in is better than their guys! My dealership let my detailer use their dedicated valet bay for a full day

Just make sure if you do this, you get the detailer to take photo evidence of any existing defects before they do anything to it... Then you are covered if there is a nick in the paintwork your detailer is not able to fix without major paintwork etc.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Mine and most others are fine - at the end of the day, they know the pro you are bringing in is better than their guys! My dealership let my detailer use their dedicated valet bay for a full day

Just make sure if you do this, you get the detailer to take photo evidence of any existing defects before they do anything to it... Then you are covered if there is a nick in the paintwork your detailer is not able to fix without major paintwork etc.
Right, thanks,

I will chat to my Audi dealership about it closer to delivery date.

Next step : find a local detailer with good reviews

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I assumed my car will be delivered spotless and polished to perfection?
The dealer will jet wash and dry the car, thats it.

I don't see the point of all the fancy prep/detailing, within 5mins of driving it off the forecourt or your drive its dirty and looks a mess anyway. 10mins after that, the stone chips start appearing.

Only thing i would consider is a ceramic coat (like teflon i guess) this can't be removed (except sanding) and stops marks.
you can then use the local spongebob to clean the car and not worry about swirls. Rest is too much effort - no mater how many buckets you use, when washing the car you are rubbing things into/onto the paint work by the very nature of what you are doing. you can "reduce" the impact, but not stop it.

Easy answer is get white or light coloured cars and you don't see the swirls anyway.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The dealer will jet wash and dry the car, thats it.

I don't see the point of all the fancy prep/detailing, within 5mins of driving it off the forecourt or your drive its dirty and looks a mess anyway. 10mins after that, the stone chips start appearing.

Only thing i would consider is a ceramic coat (like teflon i guess) this can't be removed (except sanding) and stops marks.
you can then use the local spongebob to clean the car and not worry about swirls. Rest is too much effort - no mater how many buckets you use, when washing the car you are rubbing things into/onto the paint work by the very nature of what you are doing. you can "reduce" the impact, but not stop it.

Easy answer is get white or light coloured cars and you don't see the swirls anyway.
Did you not post Pictures of your Car "R8"after you had it Detailed ?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Yeah, i don't think its been cleaned since - its just totally pointless esp given its black its even worse.
The best thing to do is either ceramic coat it or just not bother cleaning it.

Every wash just rubs grit and dirt into the paint and creates swirl marks regardless of the number of buckets used.
Washing is abrasive process by its very nature.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Where about,s are you located.
Hi Carrot,
I'm up in the North East of England,

Been doing a bit of research, this guy seems to know what he's doing, and not too far from me.
Says a full new car detail for Q5 is £250

Or, an 'Opti coat pro paint protection coating' a ceramic clear coating, for £600.

http://www.autoclean...o.uk/contact-2/

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Hi Carrot,
I'm up in the North East of England,

Been doing a bit of research, this guy seems to know what he's doing, and not too far from me.
Says a full new car detail for Q5 is £250

Or, an 'Opti coat pro paint protection coating' a ceramic clear coating, for £600.

http://www.autoclean...o.uk/contact-2/
Both are a little steep, I would say £200 and £500 was more reasonable for those treatments.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I went for 3M ventureshield (like a wrap). Had it on my TT RS and Alfa Giulietta and no complaints (bar the edges coming away if you're too aggressive with the jet lance)

·
Banned
489 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I went for 3M ventureshield (like a wrap). Had it on my TT RS and Alfa Giulietta and no complaints (bar the edges coming away if you're too aggressive with the jet lance)
I had this on an RS TT too, but it does go dull after a while and you can see a difference in colour vs the panels without the covering.
Doubt i would have it again. No marks though so if you are a mile muncher it will protect the car for sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts