Audi Q5 Forum banner

SQ5 Exhaust Sound Actuator Active Noise Sound Booster Problem Page

47K views 87 replies 24 participants last post by  davebirl 
#1 ·
Starting this off as there isn't much available help that i can find for the active exhaust in the pretty much any of the VAG range and any parts needed are expensive...so fault finding is again hard..so this is my experience so far.

So my problem, SQ5 8R/Q5 8R Exhaust isn't exciting as it should be < yes its a diesel. It sounds great for a diesel but watching youtube videos it should sound awesome....

Solution fit a Kufatec Active Sound Booster (£300) 10 mins to fit nice and easy.

Problem it has highlighted that in actual fact my exhaust speakers system isn't working still.

Plugged in the Kufatec and it receives power (led light and can see in the iphone app it is sensing the engine revs and pedal pressure. Detects the car specs all good.
Purchased the VCDS Cable and Software (expensive) read the fault code. Detailed below. Looks like its not worked for sometime too.
Purchased Part 8R0 907 160 from a breakers yard (was £100 rather than £300-600 i have been quoted) Audi Dealer hasn't even bothered calling me back.
Fitted replacement part and still no sound from exhaust with or without the active booster fitted.
Kufatec support say its now the exhaust speakers need to be tested as they believe they are faulty (common fault) yet cant find much out there on the web of this. There is a guy on ebay (germany/poland who will repair the speakers with new speakers, £300 + postage but i have to de-weld and send to him) I aint good or even got a welding machine!

Q. how do i/can i test the speakers? can it be done with VCDS?

and still todo. I still need to fit the replacement part only and see if the below error goes away and if anything else comes up now on the VCDS.

So this in short will be my experience log of trying to fix the active sound exhaust on the SQ5.

----------------------------------------------
C0-Act. for Ext. Noise -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address C0: Act. for Ext. Noise (J943) Labels: 4G0-907-160.clb
Part No SW: 8R0 907 160 HW: 4G0 907 160 B
Component: SAS-GEN 2 AGA H09 0002
Serial number: 140424200165
ASAM Dataset: EV_ActuaForExterNoiseUDS 003013
ROD: EV_ActuaForExterNoiseUDS.rod
VCID: 71E38806A0A913C766-8024

4 Faults Found:
0005 - Incorrect Vehicle Type
U10D9 00 [009] - -
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 7
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 52
Mileage: 3039 km
Date: 2017.06.12
Time: 16:02:41

0006 - Actuator 1 for Engine Noise Simulation
C113C 13 [008] - Open Circuit
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 4
Mileage: 160771 km
Date: 2020.05.19
Time: 21:30:22

0010 - Databus
U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 6

0014 - Databus
U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 6

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 03:52)--------------------------

See less See more
#82 ·
I would first disconnect Kauftec and see if standard sound is working as it should. If you don't feel comfortable doing that "Get an independent expert or take it to your nearest Audi dealer"
I personally dont feel like it sounds like it should, its abit difficult to hear a differance with clips of youtube, Im still having a discussion with the mechanic also with the dealership where i bought the car, The kufatec module i have disconnected of course, so we’ll see on Monday, ive told them about the weilding on the exhaust fix, they are very sketchy, but sound more reasonable for the dealer than paying for a whole new exhaust. cheers

#83 ·
So the place i bought the car from told me to take the car to the nearest audi for the check of the speakers, Hopefully i will get refunded the money for the cost from Audi (We had an agreenent) Im almost 100% sure the problem is the speakers, They will also pay for everything if they need to get replaced. I will be showing the PDF instruction to the automechanic that will do the job, hope this works out, I am now also known as the wierd exhaust speaker guy :D:ROFLMAO:

#84 ·
Hi, my 2016 SQ5 stopped having any sound effect in dynamic mode about 2 weeks ago. I have read through this forum and is astounded with what you guys was able to find out about this system and finally how to fix it. In my case I still hope it is not the speakers, but of course I need to test first before trying to find someone that would be willing to perform the "procedure". I see the Pioneer speakers are available here in South Africa, so I will probably go for those, for now. My questions to the guys that have already gone through this exercise are obviously very basic, but I need to start at the start. 1. To test the fuse, do I understand correctly that it is on the driver's side fuse box, at the side of the dashboard? Do you perhaps have the number for the particular fuse? I do not have access to a VCDS, so I will have to do without it for now, and even my nearest Audi dealer is about 160km from here. So, I will try to test the Ohms on the pins going into the exhaust part and hope to get about 2 to 4 Ohms per speaker, but (question 2) how exactly do I access those pins? When removing everything from the boot I still fail to see what to open. Further, I saw a clever plan was made by someone to test the speaker wires by connecting another external speaker to it, but he just got some small noises when in dynamic mode. Is that correct or does that in fact indicate a problem with the actuator box? If I connect some bass-like audio to the speaker pins, I assume I should I get some sound from the exhaust if the speakers are still intact? After checking the fuses and finding the way in, I will try this first and then expand from there.

#85 ·
Yes, just hook up some Hi-Fi type speakers to the leads coming from the car (which goes to the pods etc)
Changing into sport mode should give you a nice rumble. It probably won't be as loud as the active speaker in the exhaust.
Mainly because you will only be testing one speaker at a time, and the OHMs on a Hi-Fi speaker will be higher. (normally between 4-8 OHMs)

#87 ·
Yes, just hook up some Hi-Fi type speakers to the leads coming from the car (which goes to the pods etc) Changing into sport mode should give you a nice rumble. It probably won't be as loud as the active speaker in the exhaust. Mainly because you will only be testing one speaker at a time, and the OHMs on a Hi-Fi speaker will be higher. (normally between 4-8 OHMs)
Looking around under the car, I found the plugs of the wires running into the exhaust. I also found the unit on the inside of the boot under the side cover that is fastened by the anchors. The wire colours also matched those leading into the plugs on the outside. So, as I had the spare wheel and subwoofer already removed, I just linked up the sub-woofer wires with the exhaust wires that I unplugged at the unit, and I could hear my music coming from the exhaust on one side. Nothing from the other side and also no Ohms when tested on that exhaust speaker plug itself. So, I realised my one speaker was dead, but that the unit was still working at least. After bridging the open plug of the dead speaker with a 4ohm resistor and plugging everything else back, I could now hear the tone on one side, but it was not even closely to what it sounded like before. So here goes, I am going to try to repair it myself. Having very little experience in Stainless Steel welding and having found that ordinary silicone glue can take repetitive heats up to at least 300 deg C, I am going to try to spot weld the exhaust covers in a few places and seal it further with a good amount of silicone sealant. Have to see if it is going to work.

#86 ·
Finally got to properly hear my active exhaust with the Kufatec last week.
I had the car in the garage to check a noise from my from wheels. So i was outside (not driving) while he gave it a spin around the carpark.

I left it in mode 4 on the Kufatec. Wow, i didn't realise how loud and sweet that mode is!
I have adjusted the graphs in that mode. I lowered the rev map as it's factory set for 7000rpm max. There is no chance a my diesel will ever reach that (now set to 6000rpm) . I also slightly upped the rev map from 500rpm to 1000rpm at tickover.
What these adjustments make is the tickover volume is slightly higher with a meatier rumble. Adjusting the max rpm stops the flying saucer "whine", and replaces it with the correct rev matching rumble. No wonder some people don't like the Kufatec and think it sounds artificial. Kufatec should supply it with these adjustments already made.

I was too embarrassed to set it to mode 6 so i could have a listen!