Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting this off as there isn't much available help that i can find for the active exhaust in the pretty much any of the VAG range and any parts needed are expensive...so fault finding is again hard..so this is my experience so far.

So my problem, SQ5 8R/Q5 8R Exhaust isn't exciting as it should be < yes its a diesel. It sounds great for a diesel but watching youtube videos it should sound awesome....

Solution fit a Kufatec Active Sound Booster (£300) 10 mins to fit nice and easy.

Problem it has highlighted that in actual fact my exhaust speakers system isn't working still.

Plugged in the Kufatec and it receives power (led light and can see in the iphone app it is sensing the engine revs and pedal pressure. Detects the car specs all good.
Purchased the VCDS Cable and Software (expensive) read the fault code. Detailed below. Looks like its not worked for sometime too.
Purchased Part 8R0 907 160 from a breakers yard (was £100 rather than £300-600 i have been quoted) Audi Dealer hasn't even bothered calling me back.
Fitted replacement part and still no sound from exhaust with or without the active booster fitted.
Kufatec support say its now the exhaust speakers need to be tested as they believe they are faulty (common fault) yet cant find much out there on the web of this. There is a guy on ebay (germany/poland who will repair the speakers with new speakers, £300 + postage but i have to de-weld and send to him) I aint good or even got a welding machine!

Q. how do i/can i test the speakers? can it be done with VCDS?

and still todo. I still need to fit the replacement part only and see if the below error goes away and if anything else comes up now on the VCDS.

So this in short will be my experience log of trying to fix the active sound exhaust on the SQ5.

----------------------------------------------
C0-Act. for Ext. Noise -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address C0: Act. for Ext. Noise (J943) Labels: 4G0-907-160.clb
Part No SW: 8R0 907 160 HW: 4G0 907 160 B
Component: SAS-GEN 2 AGA H09 0002
Serial number: 140424200165
ASAM Dataset: EV_ActuaForExterNoiseUDS 003013
ROD: EV_ActuaForExterNoiseUDS.rod
VCID: 71E38806A0A913C766-8024

4 Faults Found:
0005 - Incorrect Vehicle Type
U10D9 00 [009] - -
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 7
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 52
Mileage: 3039 km
Date: 2017.06.12
Time: 16:02:41

0006 - Actuator 1 for Engine Noise Simulation
C113C 13 [008] - Open Circuit
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 4
Mileage: 160771 km
Date: 2020.05.19
Time: 21:30:22

0010 - Databus
U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 6

0014 - Databus
U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 6

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 03:52)--------------------------

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, you can test them with VCD's, I just can't remember off the top of my head.

You can tone test the internal and external sounds. They're usually the last modules listed in your installed list.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update; called out the advanced auto electrician to come and diagnose. after an hour of tinkering he concluded the fault was not with my original sound booster module but both speakers were faulty. He said with my original sound boost module he could clear all the errors away and they didnt come back, when fitting the replacement salvaged/second hand part it errors in the same way but the faults will not be cleared down. I am interested in testing with the VCDS I hope he did this; but i will give it a go myself and see what happens and report back. But overall it is looking like i have a pair of blown speakers that happened in 2017 sometime and there were not picked up/repaired by dealer at the time.

So does any one know the how to repair or replace the speakers or get them repaired as a service etc?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel Alloy wheel Update 2; through some researching; i found a guy on youtube (engineer) who was tee'd off with maserati for wanting £500 diagnostics (dead speakers) and then £3000 for a new exhaust. So he cracked them open, inside the speaker terminals had corroded away. he could have just soldiered them back on, but with the damp/condensation and them being pretty "normal speakers" he swapped them out for Pioneer Marine speakers 4 ohms 6.5" 16CM TS-MR1600 about £60 purchase price, then welded them backup after soldiering the connections for more strength over oem fitting. He said they worked a treat after this. I went to see him agreed a price as he said my exhast was identical and he put on on an electrical meter and sure enough confirm yeah same state as his was. So fingers crossed going to mine repairing on Saturday; he left me to source the speakers (I got the TS-MR1640) as they were on offer only £12 more identical speakers size and shape just a little more powerful, thinking if the KUFATEC is gonna work might as well have the option to turn it down rather than wish it was louder...update to follow after the weekend.

Found out since this absolutely loads of cars have the speakers in the exhaust and i mean a lot BMW/Audi/Mini/Ford/Maserati/VW/Porsche and even Ferrari.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update 2; through some researching; i found a guy on youtube (engineer) who was tee'd off with maserati for wanting £500 diagnostics (dead speakers) and then £3000 for a new exhaust. So he cracked them open, inside the speaker terminals had corroded away. he could have just soldiered them back on, but with the damp/condensation and them being pretty "normal speakers" he swapped them out for Pioneer Marine speakers 4 ohms 6.5" 16CM TS-MR1600 about £60 purchase price, then welded them backup after soldiering the connections for more strength over oem fitting. He said they worked a treat after this. I went to see him agreed a price as he said my exhast was identical and he put on on an electrical meter and sure enough confirm yeah same state as his was. So fingers crossed going to mine repairing on Saturday; he left me to source the speakers (I got the TS-MR1640) as they were on offer only £12 more identical speakers size and shape just a little more powerful, thinking if the KUFATEC is gonna work might as well have the option to turn it down rather than wish it was louder...update to follow after the weekend.

Found out since this absolutely loads of cars have the speakers in the exhaust and i mean a lot BMW/Audi/Mini/Ford/Maserati/VW/Porsche and even Ferrari.
Look forward to hearing how this goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
UPDATE 3 Well I think this post will be helpful to someone out there...

This editor wont let me post the full document so I have the text only listed below and PDF attached with pictures (you will be shocked!)
detailed photos can be found on the photo bucket link

https://app.photobucket.com/u/spilling77/p/8849cb53-cba9-42d4-8599-2cb7db29e065

As per previous comments it became apparent that my speakers in my exhaust were fault. I then set about looking for replacement exhaust/repair to the current. It soon became clear that I did not want to spend thousands on an exhaust replacement.

To date I had purchased a KUFATEC sound booster module for 300 euros as my exhaust wasn't the same (as loud) as other SQ5's. This then highlighted my active sound booster was not working correctly. So, I purchased a second hand one from a breaker yard (these are about £300 each typically). This was the next logical step as the VCDS was showing it as faulty (false negative). Then I had an auto electrician diagnose the sound module and the speakers since it was not working. He diagnosed it was faulty speakers.

I then set about finding a repair as exhaust was very expensive for a OEM one; I likes the OEM one/look. The only one I could find was on eBay where you send (your cost) your exhaust to them and they send it back repaired. £685 in Germany! Item number 223625683269.

After much searching and some waiting pure luck, I came across video on YouTube of a couple of engineers repairing a Maserati exhaust speaker system; it looks IDENTICAL to the Audi ones used in my SQ5. After contacting him, I visited him in Bradford, West Yorkshire. As mentioned, this was luck that I had found the video, I recognised his accent and sure enough me being from Halifax, it turned out he was 15-minute drive from me. He inspected the exhaust confirmed it was identical too so was confident to do my job and he also tested with a voltmeter and confirmed the exhausts did not work.

I purchased the Pioneer TS-MR1640 speakers (he has shown the TS-MR1600 speakers worked for him). Well the 1640 are identical but 160w instead of being 100w. I thought since I had the KUFATEC and heard rumours of it blowing the speakers in the exhaust better to have the more powerful ones just in case. Price difference was very little, and measurements were identical.

Now you have the history, on to the fix - yes this worked!

Part One - Remove the exhaust from the middle section connection.

Part Two - grind open the metal housing of the speakers, removing the support plate also.

When they had grinded through the housing a lot of water came out, they said carrying the exhaust is sounds like a coconut there was that much water inside of them. Look closely and you can see the water literally running out of one of them on to the floor.

Nice pic of grinding through, took about 5 discs as stainless steel; place close attention no to damage the speaker wire.

Opening you can see the sate of the speakers. Look at the terminals and corrosion. However, the corrosion of the terminals was the least of its problems see the next few pictures of the condition of the speakers!
Speaker 1

Speaker 2

Speaker Part Number Best Photo I could produce.

Side profile of one damaged speaker

How it should look when separated

We removed the rusty ring connecting internally the two-part domes. Also a good photo showing the removed metal support plate removed.

Close up of the replacement speaker front and rear.

Part Three - Fitting; whilst the speaker would normally line up with the existing holes my Torx screws pretty much all of them snapped on removal, out came the drill and made some new holes, at this point you can use self-tapping screws or as we did we pop riveted them in place.

Black and Red wire connections for the speakers we stripped back, and the new copper soldered on to the terminals. This was fiddly due to not so long cables and the size of the dome; two-man job holding and soldering.

Final stage - BEFORE you weld remove the plastic pop out button on the top side of the dome so not to melt it and allow heat to escape during welding. Then weld them back up, taking your time and doing it slowly small sections at a time, spraying the welds with water to cool down fast, apply some silver metal paint/spray over the welds to look and help prevent corrosion. Do not forget to weld the support plate back too.

Fit exhaust back on to car, some exhaust past was used on the connecting pieces. All done with out the need of a ramp.

Conclusion - WOW as soon as the car was turned on (no KUFATEC) you can hear the burbling of the exhaust on revving up in all driver select programs (more so in dynamic and individual (with sport exhaust setup in it)). The guys liked what they heard, also being enthusiasts, they also wanted to hear the KUFATEC sound booster, took seconds to fit and show off with the basic profiles applied it purred like a cat. After playing for a few minutes I have like most set to profile 5 for daily commuting, but profile 6 is a monster! I hope this post helps others on the problem solving it took me a couple of months to get this sorted but armed with this info you can now sort a lot quicker.

What would have done differently? Paid for the professional independent auto electrician to diagnose first&#8230;I could have jumped straight to finding the repair of the exhaust speakers.

Costs incurred
I bought a VCDS (Cable and Software £70) to self-diagnose (yes, I have used it for other things now I have one so it will repay in time). £100 on the breaker's replacement sound module (imported from Russia!) as they are £300 each over here in the UK. £100 on the professional diagnostics - shout out to JS Rushforth (West Yorkshire, google him) £75 for the speakers off amazon. The 100w versions are about £60 so not much price wise difference. Then I paid the engineers for there time doing the repair and tipped them handsomely for a good job! They asked not to disclose the figure as its between me and them, they have said they will do for other people if the circumstances are right for everyone. Like for me I could not remove the exhaust and take it to them, so drove to them and drove away fixed. I guarantee you I was with them then entire time (except for the welding didn't fancy going blind hence no pictures) they didn't stop and it took two of them working on them at the same time at least 2 hours! This should give you an idea applicable labour costs should your own garage man fancy having a go. I would add you need to be delicate with grinding and welding, not heavy handed.

I tried to do a before and after video but one the iPhone it sounds crap both before and after (old iPhone suspect to blame) - let's just say it now turns heads&#8230;

Attached PDF for Printing the above if you need to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great info
How would i go about contacting the chaps you went to.
Do you have a number or business name.
Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Such a helpful write up. I've had the same issue on my SQ5 for a while and until I found this it had been a nightmare to source anything meaningful on the problem. Confirmed both my speakers are shot too, would love to have the contact details of the chaps you went to having seen their YouTube video as I think this will be the best route to sorting out my fault too.

Once again thank you so much for such a superb write up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[email protected]

Based in Bradford. this is the guys email address. I dont want to post his mobile number for obvious reason, but also have said i will not give it out either so please don't ask. Contact him/them through that.
Good Luck guys and girls...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had both my exhaust speakers repaired/replaced by the same bloke.
Top guy.
Both speakers and connections badly corroded.
A good 2 hours work involved in the process.
Exhaust sounds great now.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,918 Posts
This is awesome news! Well done M4SK13 ????
Unfortunately Bradford is 5hrs 30min drive for me ????

Can anyone explain how to test if the speakers are faulty with a multimeter? What ohm resistance should I be expecting? When I connect my cheap multimeter to the exhaust speaker contacts in the boot wires 7&8 and 5&6 (as it's too fiddly under the car). I get a resistance reading of 85 rising to 130 on the 200K setting - what does that mean? Both speakers are toast?

Also to remove the exhaust from the middle section is that a cut and weld to put back or is there a connection bracket of sorts?

Lastly any issue with the new speakers when the exhaust gets super hot in regen mode?

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is awesome news! Well done M4SK13 ????
Unfortunately Bradford is 5hrs 30min drive for me ????

Can anyone explain how to test if the speakers are faulty with a multimeter? What ohm resistance should I be expecting? When I connect my cheap multimeter to the exhaust speaker contacts in the boot wires 7&8 and 5&6 (as it's too fiddly under the car). I get a resistance reading of 85 rising to 130 on the 200K setting - what does that mean? Both speakers are toast?

Also to remove the exhaust from the middle section is that a cut and weld to put back or is there a connection bracket of sorts?

Lastly any issue with the new speakers when the exhaust gets super hot in regen mode?
I've got a set of back boxes at home, one is brand new. I will check the resistance of the coil for you when I'm back later and let you know what it should be.

To fit new back boxes you remove the boxes themselves and either weld the new one on it fit it in with an exhaust sleeve.

With regards to the heat, the jury is still out. Audi designed them to take the heat so in theory they should be fine.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,918 Posts
But these replacement speakers are not designed by Audi.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The speakers inside the before replacement are unknown brand, very much doubt they are B&O as they would love to sell you some more, they are just normal speakers by the looks they are honestly just cheap normal speakers, the ones I have replaced with a one of the largest speaker manufacturers and also marine rated for external use. I would hope they see the life of the car out.

The exhaust on mine was 2x 10mm clip brackets holding it in place, 20mins to remove and the entire back section came away as per pictures.

All the best

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,918 Posts
I think I probably purchased (£75) the last set of Pioneer TS-MR1640 speakers in the UK. They are incredibly hard to find anywhere in the EU currently.

Anyway got them fitted yesterday by my local car mechanic (£100), and it's all working perfectly ????
(printed out your installation guide and gave it to him).

Installed the Kufatec Sound Booster today and that's also sounding great again ???????? Not sure if it's slightly louder than OEM speakers, as it's a long time since I heard them (2019).

So replaced both speakers for marine uprated 160W (hopefully lasts a long time) all for £175. This would have cost me over £1000 in parts alone from an Audi dealership + 0.5/1 hr labour.

So thanks M4SK13 much appreciated for all your efforts and great right up ????????

Reactions: M4SK13

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi all i am having the same problem but i dont have the drive select on my audi got the actuator 1 fault
Do you have the speaker domes fitted? You will have a couple of say size 4-5 football each side of your exhaust?

Also is yours the sq5 or 3ltr? The drive select is what enables the speakers and sports model in the auto etc so if you don't have this then I suspect not a problem for you?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts