Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone, bit early to ask i know but does anyone know what Audi recommend for the running in speed and time for the new SQ5 engine, mine due late April Early May and was goning to plan a good distance holiday soon after collecting the car

Thanks Merlin

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ha ha i know what mean, bit early but you cant help yourself thinking about all the little details can you - im the same. I would imagine it would be the same as the A6 / Allroad with the same engine. So if you can find an owners manual on the net then i cant see it being much different.

Nice spec you have there - i was the same hard to say no to some items. I would have expected some to be standard (privacy glass, auto boot etc) but what can you do. I take it your spare wheel is a space saver? Can it be stored under the boot lining? Again questions that probably cant be answered until we start taking delivery.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Yes the spare wheel is a space saver, ive ordered at the same time but it will come through parts department as its not listed on extra's, its nice to have one even if i just chuck in the boot for long journey's, cant wait till in turns up ive been car less since September !! so hope its well worth the wait, what spec have you gone for,as you say its hard not to keep ticking the boxes but you do have to stop somewhere !!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Added my spec to my signature. Stayed all back inside and aluminium trim - wanted the black with the pin stripes like you but just couldnt stomach £900 for them on top of everything else!
Had also spec'ed the audi connect but i have since found out that it wont work with the iphone so will get that removed.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Given the machining tolerances that engines are built to these days 'running in' is deemed not required - however those of us with a degree of mechanical sympathy would probably avoid rushing towards the rev limiter for the 1st 1500-2000 miles out of respect for everything bedding in. VW/Audi diesel engines tend to use oil during the bed-in period so keeping an eye on the oil level is a good idea.

Reactions: marky9074

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Had also spec'ed the audi connect but i have since found out that it wont work with the iphone so will get that removed.
Looking at the Youtube stuff on Audi Connect and the Google map overlays which look genuinely useful as well as being able to do other really useful things I'd be temped to either get a Data only sim or a decent phone - a Samsung S3 for example?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Have a look in the Owners hand book for the recommendation for Bedding in.
But our 3.0TDI was Bedded in the following way.
The following is only done when the engine is at full operating temperature.
0-700 Miles ease it up to 3000 RPM Regularly
700-1400 Miles ease it up to 3500 RPM Regularly
1400-2400 Miles ease it up to 4000 RPM Regularly
2400-3400 Miles ease it up to 4500 RPM Regularly
4400 Miles Max RPM Regularly
Also run it on V-Power Diesel from new.
Result no Oil use in its first Year and just serviced comment from Technician Very Smooth Engine.
The above was recommended to me by a Master Technician also keeps the DPF in good shape.
You are sure to get a lot of different answers on this.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have a look in the Owners hand book for the recommendation for Bedding in.
But our 3.0TDI was Bedded in the following way.
The following is only done when the engine is at full operating temperature.
0-700 Miles ease it up to 3000 RPM Regularly
700-1400 Miles ease it up to 3500 RPM Regularly
1400-2400 Miles ease it up to 4000 RPM Regularly
2400-3400 Miles ease it up to 4500 RPM Regularly
4400 Miles Max RPM Regularly
Also run it on V-Power Diesel from new.
Result no Oil us in its first Year and just serviced comment from Technician Very Smooth Engine.
The above was recommended to me by a Master Technician also keeps the DPF in good shape.
You are sure to get a lot of different answers on this.
Thanks for the advise, very helpful

·
Registered
202 Posts
podgas - im liking your procedure

Sq5john - stuck with the iphone with work (personally prefer it anyway) and if i go down the separate sim route it stops the bluetooth functionality so no good there either. would prefer to have bluetooth / phonebook etc linked to my iphone than the audi connect so will just have to do without one toy at least.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
its just a standard A6 engine.
Best bet with all engines is just to use it normally from the start, you dont need to run in modern engines.

just dont redline it when the fluids are cold.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If I remember correctly if you use a lot of revs in the first 1500 miles you get a "Engine Over Speed Warning" and its show up as a report when serviced.
Audi make them so they should know what their on about maybe.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My Q is about a year old soon 20 more days I think, never run in as I drive as required my back ground says it all, anyway the mileage is 8000 as I have another Audi and to date I have never used any oil.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Never Run any of our Cars in.

Just Bedded them in.

As I mentioned before we will all have angles on this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
its just a standard A6 engine.
Best bet with all engines is just to use it normally from the start, you dont need to run in modern engines.

just dont redline it when the fluids are cold.
hi, read an article in the Audi magazine which says the engine is very slightly modified from the 'standard' A6 Bi-turbo - the say "...has been modified for the SQ5...same engine, but with different characters designed to suit each other....the SQ5's engine has been tuned to match the high performance brief. Components such as the cylinder head, piston assembly and oil and water pumps all have to meet the demands of the high powered engine...shorter gears and quicker throttle response set the SQ5 apart from the A6 making it feel more energetic"

·
Registered
256 Posts
Given the machining tolerances that engines are built to these days 'running in' is deemed not required - however those of us with a degree of mechanical sympathy would probably avoid rushing towards the rev limiter for the 1st 1500-2000 miles out of respect for everything bedding in. VW/Audi diesel engines tend to use oil during the bed-in period so keeping an eye on the oil level is a good idea.
I agree with this. Some mechanical sympathy and common sense. If there was any bedding in/running in required we would still be changing the oil at ~500 miles, and since we have been on LL servicing (since the last century?) this really isn't a big issue in this day and age.....

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Regular diesel will be just fine...don't become a victim of marketing BS with a premium price attached.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Regular diesel will be just fine...don't become a victim of marketing BS with a premium price attached.
I have no idea about performance diesel (if there is such a thing), but I have always used V-Power petrol as it has been proven time and time again to improve MPG by ~10% (as well as improve performance if the ECU can advance enough to take advantage of it), and as it's not 10% more per litre it's a no brainer. Thorney Motorsport were regular testers for Auto Express (and others) for fuel tests, but their web site has been revamped with a lot of the tests disappearing. However a quick google search comes up with one:

http://corsavxrracin...uelTest2008.pdf
Standard car running on Tesco 95 Octane fuel - Average 22MPG
Standard car running on Tesco 99 Octane fuel - Average 25MPG
This equates to over 10% improvement in fuel economy. During the test period the average cost difference between
the two fuels was 4.5% so the effect of 9% improvement in power and 10% improvement in fuel economy means that
the additional cost of running Tesco 99 Octane fuel pays for itself from the first tank
Some other testing, albeit not specifically referring to improvement in MPG:
http://www.whatcar.c...ce-fuels/226642
http://www.thorneymo...uary_2010.shtml

Reactions: Ransman

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Performance Petrol definitely makes a difference in high performance engines which are tuned for higher compression as they can take advantage of the higher octane value...

However V Power Diesel is just additives to 'clean' the engine - if you are going to use it, you only need to 1 in 3 tanks. Permanent usage won't get you any noticeable mpg/hp compared to occasional use. The other option is to put some diesel additive in occasionally - but its probably easier/more convenient to just use the V Power pump occasionally.

Reactions: marky9074
1 - 20 of 23 Posts