Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to bring my test drive planned for Wednesday forward to this morning.

I was primarily interested in 2 things:

1 - Ride quality on 21" wheels. I guess it really depends on your reference point, but I didn't find the ride overly harsh at all. My current daily driver is a BMW 1M on 19" wheels and this does have pretty firm suspension, but putting that aside, I think the ride was far less choppy than I was expecting.

2- Engine. The car only had 40 miles on it, so I wasn't willing to abuse it, and I'm sure the engine will loosen up over time, but there didn't seem to be any lack of shove with three of us in the car. Again, it comes to your perspective and whilst it obviously doesn't have the shove of the 1M (mine is somewhat modified and actually has more torque than the SQ5) what of course it does have is the combination of power and traction - I suspect that in the real world half the time the SQ5 would beat the 1M off the line as it's very easy to either spin the wheels or set the traction control off in the 1M - neither of which are normally going to interfere in the SQ5. Was quite surprised by the distinct extra shove that comes in at 4k, but given the low miles, I wasn't going to keep my foot in to see where the shove diminished.

Other stuff that wasn't critical to me, but I did like - it does sound good in sport mode, the gearbox really does have two personalities as described elsewhere - leave it alone and it's very happy to trundle along, but put it in sport and it does turn into a different animal. Also I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't feel special enough from the inside compared to a standard Q5. Somehow all the little touches add up to do just that. We decided that we really liked the Opensky roof too - hadn't really been on my agenda, but looks like it is now a must have ;-)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thanks for the update - can I ask as to where you got your test drive?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I like the idea of panoramic roof, but for some reason I always talk myself out of it.
I have to say, and I DON'T know why, I'm finding it real hard to get excited about the SQ5.

I do have one question though after reading one of the posted reviewed, is DCS standard on the SQ? One of the reviews said not which is strange as it is on the rest of the range I believe....anyone have a picture of the centre console?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I pondered over the Pano roof too, I had one in the Evoque but drove it most of the time with the blind shut (don't like the sun on my head either) and I rarely carry passengers - so no benefits back there either. And lastly they are easily damaged by stone chips - with insurance companies getting a bit iffy over them. A few cover them the same as a windscreen but the majority treat it as accident damage - so excess cough up time/no claims bonus bonanza. If you have one/have ordered one then check with your insurance.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sounds a good report clived, Glad ive oredered the Pan roof and 21" wheels, i have heard good reports that the 21" wheels cause no extra harshness on ride than 20", again just wondering where you did your test drive today ? there are no SQ5's locally to me yet

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was M25 Audi's demo car.

Snow, do you mean DSC, not DCS? If so, the brochure manages not to mention it directly, but does say:
Aluminium roof rails with roof bar detection (automatically adjusts the ESP to react to the higher centre of gravity when roof bars are in place)
If there was no DSC, it couldn't be adjusted ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts