Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a bit of discussion on various threads about dog guards but they are generally within other topics so wanted to start a new one.

I assume that any guard for a Q5 will also fit an SQ5 ok?

I don't really like how the Travall one fits in with the stays going to the boot floor, anyone got one and how awkward is it? They are generally well made and a lot less than the Audi item.

Several of you have the Audi system, is it a good strong item with no rattles when driving? Its not cheap so is it worth the cash?
Anyone with an Audi one wanting to sell in the next month or 6 weeks??

Finally on my searches I have found one on www.dogcages.uk.com. Its like the Travall one in that it only covers the gap at top of seats which is fine by me but seems to use the hooks on the seat backs to stabalise itself. Also at £100 its good value.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good find! I need one of these but not for a dog - We use one so that when we go on holiday, we can pack the boot higher than the level of the back seats and if we have to brake suddenly, the kids don't get loads of stuff hitting them on the head!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Audi one is solid and not rattles and fits both Q/SQ.

The travali one attaches to the same roof and floor mounts, only difference is it has long bars down to the floor rather than grill, I suspect this would allow more flex so maybe rattles. Also, with the Audi one, the 3 inch void behind the bars and the seats is handy to keep the cargo net and some umbrellas in.

Here is a post with link to pics of mine...
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php?/topic/9122-Summer%20Hols/page__view__findpost__p__109569

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jose, the Audi one does look very solid altho I have no need of the guard behind the seat. Wonder why they are made that way as an above the seat guard would do just fine.

And Andy you're spot on about a guard being great for keeping luggage and stuff in the boot.

I'm tempted by the one on that site I posted as it looks pretty neat and isn't a bad price. Also doesn't have the big bars down to the boot like the Travall one.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I'm glad of the bars floor to roof as prevents dog hair sticking to the back if the seats... A major problem in the other halves Mini that (obviously!) has no guard at all - the boot is perfectly Jack Russell sized already!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'll be getting a 'Boot Buddy' for my car before the dogs are allowed in on long journeys.

They're great for keeping hairs,mud, sand and sick of the boot carpets...

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yea, I ordered the reversible rubber boot mat, does a great job. Only bit that gets hair on it, is the carpet on the wheel arch, but it's a small area and so I don't mind vacuuming 6 square inches to death occasionally!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do like the sound of keeping hairs off the rear of the seat. Having said that Jose have you got one of the rubber toothed pet hair brushes, they do a great job of freeing hairs that then easily Hoover up.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have used a Hatchbag boot liner in several cars and they are excellent items. All PVC so easily cleaned. Ideal when I had a spaniel who loved his mucky forest walks. Now I have a Chocolate Lab who will hardly walk through a puddle lol so not as much boot protection is needed.

Reactions: José

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm delighted with the UKCustomcovers Q5 liner that I bought through ebay. Cusom fit for the Q5, decent fabric that's also waterproof and can be wiped down in no time at all. Covers the back of the rear seats and sides up to the window. £80. Having said all that I still transport my Terrier in my always filthy Freelander 2 rather than my Q5.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought a genuine Audi dog guard from Ebay for £85 so seems quite a bargain as they are £240. Will arrive tomorrow, guy assures me its all complete and unmarket.

Andy ( Booster ) there are few more used genuine Audi ones about for similar prices if you are still looking for one and they may be local to you as some were on sites like Gumtree and Freeads.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, will have a look

·
Registered
46 Posts
Might check this out too - my problem is the drooling as I have a boxer....

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roddy I see you are near GLasgow, from memory there was one on Gumtree in that area, think it was maybe £120 or so but he may take an offer as its been on a while.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks davyk31 - will have a look.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just got a nice big well-behaved dog who just sits there and watches what's happening. No rattles at all. Unless I break really hard!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lol I thought about not getting anything but, although well behaved, he will sit his chin on the seat and may drool if he thinks there is any food in the car!! Leather seats though so wouldn't be too bad to clean up....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Haha - as she's a lab - I do sympathise with that - but she was told first time in a car without a guard not too and so she never rests on the seat backs. Maybe I'm just lucky with her.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your dog could still be flung forward into the car if you have an accident so matter how well behaved they are. A flying labrador could easily break the neck of a rear seat passenger hence I will have a dog guard and will always have a properly fitted secure item not some cheapie Halfords universal type that in reality connects to nothing.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts