Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not badly!

My start/stop has started kicking in a little too early and gradually got worse over the last 1-2K miles.
You used to be able to stop the engine cutting out by being gentle on the brake, but now this is nearly impossible.
As a result, where I am being super light on the brake, and doing 0.3 MPH the engine will cut out whilst still rolling at this speed, so you come to a bit of an abrupt halt.

I suspect as the brakes have worn and not been adjusted (not sure if they should auto adjust?) the pedal pressure required to stop has gone up and into the engine cut off range.

Booked her in 9th Dec to look at it as well as a suspected heat shield clunk per #25

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could always switch off start/stop
Yes but that involves pressing a button every time I get in the car which is nothing short of a PITA - and it is a feature that should work, so Audi are going to fix it...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Ahhh, I can understand that, you have Hill Hold too and have noted that if you coast to a stop gently on the brakes then Stop/Start somehow fails to notice that the car is stationary. I have wondered if the fact that one can do it at all is in fact a software bug?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is supposed to be that stationary, regardless of brake pressure the HHA holds you, but start/stop only kicks in of you put reasonable weight on the brake pedal, idea being if you are going to be stationary for a couple of seconds then you don't get bogged down waiting for the engine to start.
My HHA seems to work fine still.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Never have start/stop on anyway mate, scares me too much...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Frist thing I do whenever I get in the car is turn off this irritating start/stop system. HATE IT
I agree its bloody annoying and its the first thing I do too. It should have a delay on when it stops. At least 2 seconds should be the minimum so that the engine doesn't stop when you pause at a junction or you are manoeuvring to park

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree its bloody annoying and its the first thing I do too. It should have a delay on when it stops. At least 2 seconds should be the minimum so that the engine doesn't stop when you pause at a junction or you are manoeuvring to park
If this was the case I wouldn't be taking it in... I will suggest it as a tweak to the feature they should add!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
If we didn't all have a legacy of cr*p cars in our automotive ownership history and therefore the humbling shame of being at the front of the queue when the engine spluttered, died, and refused to re-start to the annoyance of everyone then I suspect none of us would mind that much....every time Stop/Start kicks in I have a flash-back to nearly 40 years ago!

To be fair to Audi the SQ's system is quite unobtrusive, if you have driven an Evoque with it then the engine seems to leap of its mounts on re-start, as though its as startled as the driver, oh I shudder at the memory

·
Registered
877 Posts
If we didn't all have a legacy of cr*p cars in our automotive ownership history and therefore the humbling shame of being at the front of the queue when the engine spluttered, died, and refused to re-start to the annoyance of everyone then I suspect none of us would mind that much....every time Stop/Start kicks in I have a flash-back to nearly 40 years ago!

To be fair to Audi the SQ's system is quite unobtrusive, if you have driven an Evoque with it then the engine seems to leap of its mounts on re-start, as though its as startled as the driver, oh I shudder at the memory
Lol I remember those days only too well....

·
Banned
489 Posts
timing variable via MMI.
I too turn it off as soon as I set off. I'd use it more if I could configure the timing. I hate it when it cuts out as I stop to do a 3-point turn etc...! Is it configurable by me (without VCDS) or is it a dealer visit?

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I hated stop/start and the electric handbrake but have grown accustomed to both now.
I suspect as the brakes have worn and not been adjusted (not sure if they should auto adjust?) the pedal pressure required to stop has gone up and into the engine cut off range.
That seems strange, I can't understand why wear would make pedal pressure increase? I would expect, pedal travel may increase but not pressure. Perhaps your servo assistance is not working as it should.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hated stop/start and the electric handbrake but have grown accustomed to both now. That seems strange, I can't understand why wear would make pedal pressure increase? I would expect, pedal travel may increase but not pressure. Perhaps your servo assistance is not working as it should.
By increased pressure required I mean more travel before they do anything yes. And the extra travel is putting the pedal into the 'turn the engine off' zone sooner than I want.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Quick update...

Car has been with them since Monday (they gave me a TT FWD STronic Coupe in the mean time - horrible - you either have gingerly pulling away, or MASSIVE wheel spins - over 200bhp is WRONG in a FWD car!).

Anyway, here is what the say on the things I reported...

Start/Stop - can't find anything wrong, they are refusing to enable the timer. They are escalating to Audi Germany to find a solution as I am insisting it is broken in the last 1500 miles.

Clunk on full lock - Heat shield, has been adjusted and is fixed

Audi Connect not working 70% of the time - they are trying different SIMs, but I am pretty sure its not my SIM... They will report back...

Lockup clutch not engaging is normal until the gearbox oil has heated up (as I suspected).

I'll try and find the other threads that some of these questions came from and update them directly as well.

They are keeping the car until Sunday to look further into the Start/Stop and Audi Connect... They have applied the steering update, so will have to wait and see what that is like!

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
...(they gave me a TT FWD STronic Coupe in the mean time - horrible - you either have gingerly pulling away, or MASSIVE wheel spins - over 200bhp is WRONG in a FWD car!).
You got a heavy right boot? I really like driving our TT. I once owned a Montego Turbo and the torque steer really was a handful.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Audi Connect. I find it fails about one in 10 starts, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and its rSAP profile. I have discovered after trial, error and frustration that the car systems are OK and it's the phone that needs a reboot, it always fixes it.

I recall you have an iPhone and are using he SIM slot for a data connection?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Audi Connect. I find it fails about one in 10 starts, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and its rSAP profile. I have discovered after trial, error and frustration that the car systems are OK and it's the phone that needs a reboot, it always fixes it.

I recall you have an iPhone and are using he SIM slot for a data connection?
Yea, SIM in dash. As I mention above, it rarely works. You get the signal bars, the 3G symbol and the little left/right arrows to signify data connection active, but then you can't actually do anything online. Sometimes popping the SIM out/in fixes it, sometimes it is just a sod!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts