Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give details of the front brake specs on the SQ5?
Caliper spec, piston size, weight...
Disc size, width etc

Starting to work out what's required... Got my hands on some 8pot R8 calipers as a starter, need to start getting details so carrier can be amended to fit and spec discs. Wondering if the new RS4 discs w ,I'll fit as a simple bolt on or go a full AP floating set up which is probably overkill...

Anyone got access to etka?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Jamie, out of interest, what is your motivation for upgrading? Do you feel the SQ5 brakes need an upgrade or is this a precursor to a power upgrade?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On this car, predominantly aesthetic if I'm honest. I'll get the calipers colour coded in Estoril with new 'S' decals and drilled discs (either RS4 'wave' design or go the full hog and get AP one's). I think it'll loook nice OEM+.
Having said that, the OEM brakes on the TT were awful. Really awful. The non directional discs (ie same part each side, rotating in different directions threfore giveing completey different heat management output and therefore different braking performance across the same axle) made the car twitch when braking in a straight line, the car felt like it wanted to spin round. I found them that unsafe that I got involved with Dave at vagbremtechnic who creates all these bespoke solutions (supplies Loba with their brake kits). Yes it's a lot of money, and there is a very strong argument that as it's a family car what's the need, but this modding bug is a little addictive once you get going and knowing what I now know with regards the alocated budget to elements of a car and the compromises that have to be made I'm happy to upgrade to something more bespoke.
I'm sure the OEM stuff will be fine.

The irony is, Audi are replacing the entire front brake system on the TTRS, but it's to cure squeaking brakes (blame RS3 owners!) not make the car stop better/safer.... I dread to think how much that has cost!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
A friend of mine had his callipers coloured yellow on his 62 plate Porsche jeep, professionally in Liverpool,by a company that does all Maclaren work,they look ceramic,and really set the car off,however it was £400 and 200 miles away from me,I'm in Kent,if you cum acros any 1 nearer 2 me doing this properly I'd like to no,his jeep is white,bit I think they'll still look gr8 against black

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use brake caliper refurbs and vagbremtecnic for my brake work.
Still based in the north but top guys and top work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts