Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here we are, 3 months in and 6,000 miles have whizzed under the SQ5's wheels, in fact probably by the end end of this week it will nearer 7,000

Everything really, comfort, the cabin is a nice place to be for a lot of miles, everything works perfectly, nothing rattles and as described in a separate post Mobile Connect High is massively useful if you are a high mileage driver. Fuel economy remains remarkable, settling on an average of 36/37 at legal motorway (freeway) speeds, and say 34 at the weekends, amazing given the performance on tap.

The SQ5 is understated in a great way, very few people even give it a second glance, with the odd petrol-head looking up to see where the nice noise is coming from. It's easy to keep clean, the std 20" rims look great (to me, 21" equipped friends
). It's a practical vehicle, passengers like it too.

Dislikes
Nothing really, I kind of wish Audi had made the adaptive damping option available, the standard setup has compromise written all over it and if you corner with enthusiasm (very easy to do) then the suspension is quickly outwitted.

I've long thought that the sign of a good car is one that makes you smile every time you get into it - this is one of those cars. Just excellent.

Reactions: José

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Another great review John, thanks a lot! All of you are seriously making me look forward to October now. Can't wait, it will be amazing!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Feels like I'm moving from an X5 to an Aston Martin with all this talk of noise and looks ;-)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Nice review, glad to hear you are very pleased

·
Registered
700 Posts
Good Review John seems we are all enjoying or problem free SQ5's, Beats running backwards and forwards to the dealerships with Faults like your last car !, good fuel economy there too, i dont do that many miles to monitor it really unless i'm on a run and then it doesnt bother me - i love it too much to worry about fuel !

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks for the review John. Agree with your sentiments, although I prefer my 21 inch wheels of course haha

·
Registered
343 Posts
We're at 3500 miles now after 2 months and I agree that the suspension runs out of ideas quite quickly (we don't have drive select) but it does encourage you to back off earlier which in turn improves the consumption. We're off down to the Dordogne next week for 10 days so we'll see how the fuel consumption is on a couple of long runs but it'll be hampered by the bikes on the roof so if we get close to 35 I'll be delighted

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Considering the size of the vehicle the suspension does a pretty good job IMO - agreed it could be made better, but of course at the cost of comfort.

The handling I find is nice and neutral, and at the edge you just get some friendly understeer to remind you to back off. I have tried once to shake the back end loose, is not easy! The quattro soon arrests any real fun!

·
Banned
489 Posts
Great update.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now with 12,000 miles and a spanking new set of Goodyear tyres fitted yesterday I couldn't help thinking whilst driving today what a cracking car the SQ5 is, it's perfect, no rattles, squeaks, buzzes or noises, everything works as intended. I've had many Audi cars over the last 20 years and this is by far the best both in terms of absolute driving characteristics and build quality. Right now there is nothing out there that I'd seek to replace it with beyond another SQ - in fact I had the price list open the other night out of curiosity to see what the same spec would cost, 8 months on and its virtually the same cost wise.

On the subject of the Goodyear tyres, they are noticeably quieter than the Michelin Latitude Sports that it came with.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Chuffed you enjoy it mate, its a beautiful car and now I can understand what all the fuss was about. By far best car I have ever owned.

Many happy miles ahead

·
Registered
877 Posts
Now with 12,000 miles and a spanking new set of Goodyear tyres fitted yesterday I couldn't help thinking whilst driving today what a cracking car the SQ5 is, it's perfect, no rattles, squeaks, buzzes or noises, everything works as intended. I've had many Audi cars over the last 20 years and this is by far the best both in terms of absolute driving characteristics and build quality. Right now there is nothing out there that I'd seek to replace it with beyond another SQ - in fact I had the price list open the other night out of curiosity to see what the same spec would cost, 8 months on and its virtually the same cost wise.

On the subject of the Goodyear tyres, they are noticeably quieter than the Michelin Latitude Sports that it came with.
So I'm assuming your Michelins lasted 12000 before needing replacement? I've got Dunlops and Having swapped them round I reckon they're good for 20k or so. Does depend on how one drives I suppose too...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sadly 12,000 miles and I don't drive the SQ hard (I'd be dead if I did
) mostly motorway miles, rarely use Sport mode, disappointing. The Michelins were very much orientated towards maximum grip and soft compound because of it...

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Sadly 12,000 miles and I don't drive the SQ hard (I'd be dead if I did
) mostly motorway miles, rarely use Sport mode, disappointing. The Michelins were very much orientated towards maximum grip and soft compound because of it...
Not sure that I would agree with that. I got twice as many miles from Michellin's on my Q5 than you did. I will be very surprised if you get more miles from Goodyear tyres.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts