Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone know if there is a service action for the steering on the SQ5/Q5 2013/2014? I have the dynamic steering option on mine. Have read on forums that there has been some issues with the steering on Q5 and A4/A5 line and for the later there is a fix. Anyone know if there is a similar fix for the Q5. The steering is a bit weird at some extent and feel like a computer wheel with forced feedback and that you can feel the electric motor working actively. This is a very unpleasant feeling in my book. I'm VERY sensitive to this kind of behaviour and this is not noticable in most occasions and for most drivers I would assume.

Try for instance to fully rotate the wheel in any direction when stand-still. Then you will feel the motor working against. This is a very odd feeling and really one of the biggest flaws with the Q5-line. The steering is also "counter steering" and feels very notchy while driving at a certain speed. This is not a issue on the newer Audi-platforms and the A6 line for instance feels very good.

Maybe i'm too picky after owning a porsche 991 with excellent steering feel before moving to the SQ5? Think however that this is one down for Audi compared to other brands. Unfortunately, because I LOVE the car on all other aspects.

Any insights into this and anyone else experienced the same issues?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks José. Have searched the forum, but didn't find any really good information and solution to the problem, just speculations. Have to contact my dealer to se if there is any TSB for my particular car.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yea - some people say it doesn't do anything, some it removes the notchy feeling, and others have complained that in dynamic mode the steering now feels dead... Nothing conclusive though as you say.
I'm going to an Audi Showcase tomorrow and plan to grill them on this update as well as the MY13 bluetooth/SIM update to match what MY14 cars have so will report back if I get anywhere.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
So asked the guys at the showcase today, apparently this update was released twice...
The technician said it was out for a few weeks, then all of a sudden over night the update code changed.
He suspected they fixed the 'it wrecked dynamic mode' issue on the quiet.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
No, it wasn't at a dealership - they had hired a hotel for the day. They said they will do the upgrade when the car comes for a scheduled service.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Jose, did you get any information of the SIM MMI / Connect update

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
You need to have the update with internal code 48K8

this will solve the issues with the steering

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update on this one. Had the Steering software update applied yesterday. WOW, it's a completely new car. The difference is HUGE. The steering now feels much better and feels just right.

For you guys who have not done this update yet. Go directly to your audi dealer and patch the thing

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Quick update on this one. Had the Steering software update applied yesterday. WOW, it's a completely new car. The difference is HUGE. The steering now feels much better and feels just right.

For you guys who have not done this update yet. Go directly to your audi dealer and patch the thing
How is it better!? Can you describe the change in feeling?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
So driven mine a bit since getting it back avec update on Sunday.

I immediately noticed while still stationary that it felt heavy - they had left it in dynamic. I changed to Auto and immediately noticed it was much lighter whilst stationary than before the update which is good for parking manoeuvring.

On the move it feels much tighter in general - much more direct than before. I've only really driven it in Auto, but Dynamic is still noticeably weightier so no worries there.

So overall I'm quite happy, I wasn't dissatisfied with the steering before, but I would say this is an improvement for sure.

·
Registered
877 Posts
So driven mine a bit since getting it back avec update on Sunday.

I immediately noticed while still stationary that it felt heavy - they had left it in dynamic. I changed to Auto and immediately noticed it was much lighter whilst stationary than before the update which is good for parking manoeuvring.

On the move it feels much tighter in general - much more direct than before. I've only really driven it in Auto, but Dynamic is still noticeably weightier so no worries there.

So overall I'm quite happy, I wasn't dissatisfied with the steering before, but I would say this is an improvement for sure.

A definite improvement felt here too. Feels a whole lot better

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is this update only for MY13 and above? Is there any available for 2010?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts