Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing the useful post by RobinT who is already in his SQ5 and noting that the ride is hard on 20" wheels - who has ordered 21" rims?

Audi have tended to make their S-Line cars on the firm end of hard suspension wise, and in the last 3 or 4 years have offerred standard (not lowered) suspension a no cost option. On quite a few Audi S-Line cars the suspension is -20mm ride height and tends to feel hard, on the SQ5 it's -30mm as standard.

I chose non-lowered suspension on my last S-Line A5 Cabrio (on 18" wheels) and the ride quality was pretty good and still handled beautifully. To be honest if the SQ5 option list had non-lowered and active dampers I would have ticked both boxes - come to think of it I'd have gone for 19" wheels too! Mindful that the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre combination is the same whatever rim size is selected.

I suppose in the end it's a trade off between looks and practicality - a 21" alloy looks impressive with the disadvantages of a shorter tyre sidewall (little, if any flex), closer to the curb and more prone to damage in a pothole...there are none of those in UK roads at the minute are there?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I purely went for the looks. Sensible option would be 20" but i just didnt like what was on offer compaired to the 21" totally personal.
Im used to firm rides so i am hoping that this wont be any worse than a typical RS setup which i would be shocked if it was.
My only worry is the availability of the 21" tyres

·
Registered
348 Posts
Anyone who can afford an SQ5 will surely be able to buy an additional set of 19" when comfort is needed (or winter tyres)

Looks or comfort, I think the driver's age mainly determines which way to go

And of course the mileage you do; I am using the car as a company car, doing 40,000 miles a year, so comfort is welcome

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have stuck with the 20s main reason being a friend of mine had 21s maybe even 22s on a RR. He had to replace them after 3 months as 3 of them were badly damaged by the many pot holes in our wonderful roads.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
......Looks or comfort, I think the driver's age mainly determines which way to go
Mmm that will be 17" rims for me then

Reactions: jadewoo and Robin T

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
20s, ride will be a nightmare on 21s no doubt and I'm saying that running an R8
Car is for the wife and I'd rather have 19s, I think that's the real sweet spot for the Q5.

When did the SQ come out - I though it he uk I was the middle of this month.
AUK said that no customer cars are currently in the uk....has it already been released else where in the world?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
20s, ride will be a nightmare on 21s no doubt and I'm saying that running an R8
Car is for the wife and I'd rather have 19s, I think that's the real sweet spot for the Q5.

When did the SQ come out - I though it he uk I was the middle of this month.
AUK said that no customer cars are currently in the uk....has it already been released else where in the world?
My dealer suggested the date for release is Friday 10th May, and they are working on the basis of having 2 go out that day, mine and one other. I haven't got any means of celebrating corroborating that date though.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Interesting , I'm still looking forward to 21 " wheels I think the finish and design is fantastic , I'm more for looks than ride quality as I will probably only do 4 k a year , hopefully it will be fine , I wonder if audi are not releasing any sq5's until the 10 th of may ? That maybe why they have delayed a few build dates ,

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was told by dealer launch date is the 17th April. That's when AUK are releasing the SQ5 from uk ports. If what the dealer is stating is right.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Interesting , I'm still looking forward to 21 " wheels I think the finish and design is fantastic , ,
I like the design, but this is not a sports car by any means - so practicality, useability and comfort win out for me.
People seem to think the best thing to do is fill the wheel arches and if you do that you have a more "sporty" car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I sure dont think they make it a more 'sporty' car, as i said its just looks, my personal preference on the design - if they were available in 20" then i would of had them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Son is a professional (race) driver and works on occasions for Audi. His advice and those of others has persuaded me to not take the 21inch option on SQ5 and stick with 20 inch.
Love the look of the 21s but don't think I want to feel every white line and bump.
Like you all can't wait for delivery which is now September. I have just ordered mine after a huge mistake. Yes traded in my fantastic 3.0 Q5 for a Range Rover Evoque. Had it just 3 weeks and had the dealer take it back, what a lump of ____!
See the forum is such a great place still with great advice.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sq5john was the same if i recall - what was up with your evoque?
member of my family has just got one - they seem to be enjoying it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Scottishjock
Just about everything. Alarm going off all the time, side assist working only when it felt like it car overtaking or not. Seat collapsing and interior trim falling off. Paint work atrocious with undercoat showing through.
Compared to Q5 it was pants. No comparison in terms of quality.
Lucky though that Jeremy Hicks (ex Audi) now at JLR and he arranged full refund.

Lesson learnt!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yeah, sadly I've been there too Windmill - it's notable on the Evoque forums that our experiences are far from unique, Some people get good cars - others (many, myself included) defected from the German marques expecting RR to be a comparable premier brand as Land Rover strived to communicate.

If I'm really honest with myself I don't think the external styling/design of a Q5 can hold a candle to the Evoque - in fact the perfect car for me would be an Evoque built by Audi - with the execution, quality and technology that we all take for granted.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So it was not just me yours words are so true. I also feel that the styling of the Evoque is streets ahead of anything in the class at the moment. However we do not need a vehicle that just looks good!
I came to the conclusion that the Evoque is much like a Lady Boy, looks stunning but not really what you expect inside !!!!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Still Game
4,609 Posts
The Evoke is certainly striking car, but it's not for me. I think it looks like a Freelander after an elephant stood on the roof.

Each to their own I guess.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts