Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my Lava SQ5 2 weeks ago and have to say it has exceeded all my expectations so far. I previously owned a BMW X5 40d which was good (albeit with questionable reliability & build quality) and having scoured the market for an alternative a few months back, the SQ5 was the stand-out car - I never thought I'd buy a Q5 of any variant.

I ended up ticking quite a long list of extras and the only one I went for which I probably didn't need in hindsight was the luggage compartment net. If I was being really picky, the leather pack plus may also have been unnecessary; a lot of money for a leather layer which is obscured by the steering wheel. I did like the 21" wheels but went for the 20" standard alloys in the end due to cost and also the fact that a polished finish seems prone to corrosion on UK roads (I was on my third set of alloys under warranty on the X5, the first 2 sets were polished).

2 things which have pleasantly surprised me:
1) The quality of the ride is vastly superior to the BMW, largely I suspect due to the fact that the SQ5 doesn't have run-flats.
2) The efficiency of the engine. I have covered 800 miles so far and am achieving mid-30s mpg consistently. On a 170 mile motorway run last week I stuck the car in efficiency mode and averaged just over 40mpg. Clearly on more spirited runs in the dynamic or individual settings, temptation will probably take hold at the expense of the fuel consumption.

OK, it's slightly tighter on passenger and boot space than the X5 was, but it's only the odd occasion that I need to load up so I can easily live with that.

The performance (as everyone who has driven one will know) is stunning; the torque is huge!

The extras I couldn't be without? The tech pack (which I imagine everyone goes for), the panoramic roof, the B&O stereo and the carbon atlas inlays.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Haha Tedworth I have a funny story for you ;-)
I currently have an X5 40d 2010, and just purchased a Lava Grey SQ5 which will be here for October. Great minds think alike!

I'm actually very glad to see some ex-X5 drivers on here, in particular someone who has come from the exact same model as my previous car. Very good review there, I would be interested to see how you felt about the sound of the car in comparison, but also the drive quality - whereas the X5 felt much more heavier and chunky, when I drove the SQ5 it felt much more nippy and quick, also much lighter. Your opinions on that?
Also I would really appreciate some pictures if you have the time.

Thanks very much,
Ray

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ray - great minds as you say!

The SQ5's exhaust note is in a different league from the X5. The only other diesel I've been in which is comparable is the Porsche Cayenne Diesel S, and that's mightily impressive to listen to.

I agree with what you say about the X5 feeling heavier particularly with regards to the steering at motorway speeds; the Audi feels more like a Golf GTi in some ways and will be more susceptible to uneven surfaces that the BMW. I did go for the dynamic steering option which I've enjoyed and following on from another poster, my individual settings have the exhaust & steering on dynamic mode with the automatic setting taking car of the rest. Generally the SQ5 is a more refined experience in my opinion.

Not sure how other ex-BMW owners have got on, but I do feel Audi build their cars to a higher standard than BMW presently.

I'll try and post a photo or 2; let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.
T

·
Registered
700 Posts
Good review there Ted worth, Glad you like it, im up to 2000 miles now and can probably say for an all rounder its the best car ive ever owned, fantastic power for a suv diesel well worth the 9 moths wait

All the best Merlin, ps get some pics on here

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Thats good to know actually Tedworth; glad it was a smooth transition!
Funnily enough we were also considering the S Diesel Cayenne, however the unbelievable running costs and the whole idea of a Porsche name tag kind of scared my wife and I a little! I have heard the sound is something spectacular too, but I have also heard that the SQ5 sounds louder and more feisty but a little more artificial - in your opinion is this true?

We opted for the Dynamic steering also, I'm in love with car sound (as you can probably tell!) so glad you can configure your settings to always have it on!!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
To throw my pennies worth in, 4.5 months and 4800 miles in and I would be hard pushed to really pick a fault with mine that isn't a personal thing that another owner may like (and even those are countable on one hand!).
Love driving it every day!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
I test drove the BMW X5 40D Msport just before the SQ5 came out. I almost went for it as i do love the look and feel of them. I bit the bullet and ordered the SQ5 instead after having a 3.0TDI Q5. I must admit i do love the SQ5. I hate that efficiency mode though, tried it on a long drive and its not for me lol

·
Registered
877 Posts
To throw my pennies worth in, 4.5 months and 4800 miles in and I would be hard pushed to really pick a fault with mine that isn't a personal thing that another owner may like (and even those are countable on one hand!).
Love driving it every day!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Same after 5300 miles. Does what it says on the tin with no rattles, squeaks or anything. Best car I've ever owned so far...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ray - SQ5 exhaust note sounds great regardless of how it's generated - at lower revs it has a burble which sounds a bit Impreza-like but once you push it beyond that it's a menacing growl. Haven't given it a proper run at the limit as it's still running in technically.

NeilJ2002 - whilst I work out how to post a pic, the following link shows a Lava grey on the road (someone posted it on a forum originally) and it gives you a better idea of how the colour changes in the light http://www.youtube.c...d&v=BORXAI-4D5w The still photos never give you quite the same impression. I was deliberating between Lava and Oyster and I'm happy with my choice.

Great to know those who have done more miles than me are still delighted with their cars! The only real direct rival the SQ5 appears to have is the new Alpina diesel version of the X3, but it's more money and ugly as sin.

·
Registered
343 Posts
we looked at the X5 when we bought our first Q5 four and a bit years ago but just felt the overall quality of the Audi product was leagues ahead - again looked at both the X and the regular BMW touring range this spring and just felt the Audi was of higher quality, the Audi is a sort of no nonsense design - lacking in certain features particularly in the technology integration side which have been highlighted on this forum, but am I really worried about not being able to update my Facebook status whilst parked up? - We looked at the new Cayenne and it was a step up quality wise from the Q5 but there was no DAB or panoramic roof when it was launched - (both now available) and we have one of their sports cars in the fleet, but the running costs are much higher and the dealer is a 35 mile drive away

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Nice to see those who test drove/had the X5 are all in agreement; being with X5 for so long I was nervous to leave but I'm glad everyone seems to be on the same page here, it was a fantastic car but it's time for a new chapter in the book

1 - 13 of 13 Posts