Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
So one year on the SQ5 reaches its first birthday this week.

It's a great car, nothing has dropped off, stopped working or started rattling either. Save for a steering software patch recall there have been no dealer visits, absolutely perfect.

Fuel economy has declined in the past 3 or so months having changed jobs and now not heading down the M40 every week, more opportunity to enjoy it, less economical driving. The upside being that I've done rather less miles, it's currently on 16,500 miles and the service indicator warning is flashing on when I start it now.

As has been posted in another thread the current Audi PCP offer has made the option of swapping it for a new car, virtually identical for a minimal price difference, its simply too good an offer to miss. Typically after a year one ponders about the options list and choices you made last time and there really isn't anything I'd change beyond the reversible boot mat being next to useless in practice. My good lady has suggested having a pano roof this time, the memories of the Evoque's effort and all the rattles that had are still vivid but I've somewhat reluctantly agreed, the dealer assures me that that the past roof issues are sorted now.

It's a practical car, I'm still clay shooting and the boot is big enough to take a 33" barreled shotgun diagonally, so must be at least 5ft across even with the adjustable bench seat-plus fully rearward. I've clambered in and out of a few muddy shooting grounds now and whilst it might not be quite as capable as a LR product its still good enough for my needs.

I've long thought that the definition of a good car is one that makes you smile and relish the prospect of a journey, rather than dread (I've had a few over the years that did that) and the SQ never disappoints. It remains more than quick enough for the real world, it's easy to live with, covers miles effortlessly and just looks visually together. The Audi Mobile Connect High option providing the Google earth map overlays and Google traffic data which is incredibly real-time after the hit n miss Russian roulette of TMC. You only ignore the Google traffic inspired re-route suggestion once (shortly discovering the queue that it already knew about). For those of us that spend time on the roads in the week with pressing deadlines to meet it's remarkable value, a must have. The 1st 10,000 miles consumed 1.6GB of mobile data, negligible on even a modest monthly data plan.

The B&O is excellent, well for my weary 56 year old ears anyway. The AMI cables have stayed in their packets and I have a pair of 32GB SD cards, one for music and the other for Videos. Pavtube is providing the DVD to Avi format conversions, excellent.

The wheels are scuff free, more by virtue of the larger sidewalls than my limited driving prowess and overall the paint work has remained bright and lustrous. Needing a set of tyres at 12,000 miles (Michelin Latitude Sports, replaced by Goodyear') was a bit of surprise the replacements are wearing well.

So if you have an SQ on order then you have made a wise decision, one of Audi's truly great cars, enjoy.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Excellent review,nice to read,as 4 pan roof this is my 1st and I'm glad I've got it,it realy does brighten the cabin wen open ,it is dear but if u use it ,it's worth it 😄

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm still clay shooting and the boot is big enough to take a 33" barreled shotgun diagonally, so must be at least 5ft across even with the adjustable bench seat-plus fully rearward.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Nice review...happy anniversary!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice write up.
Mine should have gone into build today so hopefully 3 weeks today for pick up. Can't wait!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Fingers crossed for you, how quickly you get it after build is dependent on a few factors including where on the car transporter ship it get's loaded. Last year mine took a month to get from the factory to the dealer, 2 weeks, dockside in Germany, loaded 1st it took another week to get to UK and unloaded and a further week to make it out of the import centre... At the same time, another member here got his car, believed to be on the same boat in a little over two weeks, luck of the draw!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Was that new tyres all round? Any particular reason why they wore out so quickly? How much we're the replacements? Looking forward to getting mine in the next few weeks :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's hard not to enjoy the SQ's performance and the 650Nm is bound to be tough on the tyres. The Michelins actually wore away the outer shoulders, the wheel alignment is spot on too and I didn't hammer it in the corners.

The tyre fitter said that he had seen Latitude Sports on an SUV wear like that before so wasn't too surprised. Cost? £20 change out of £1000.....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Fingers crossed for you, how quickly you get it after build is dependent on a few factors including where on the car transporter ship it get's loaded. Last year mine took a month to get from the factory to the dealer, 2 weeks, dockside in Germany, loaded 1st it took another week to get to UK and unloaded and a further week to make it out of the import centre... At the same time, another member here got his car, believed to be on the same boat in a little over two weeks, luck of the draw!
Thanks John.
I am hoping it will be about 3 weeks from build week to collection which is about what it was for my last car, but I know things can get delayed so will be keeping fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Chuffed you're still enjoying

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thanks John.
I am hoping it will be about 3 weeks from build week to collection which is about what it was for my last car, but I know things can get delayed so will be keeping fingers crossed.

I think it will be 5-6 weeks. Thats how long mine took.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Happy birthday !

Mine turned 1 last April and I still love it.

Good choice changing to Goodyear, my original set of Goodyear that came with the car are still on it and did about 25.000 miles (I have 40.000 miles on the clock now and 15.000 of those were on winter tyres).
I think I will make it through the summer with the front ones; the rear ones will certainly last another year or more.

Have fun driving it to its second birthday!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good write up and nice to see you're still chuffed after the first year. I'm into the 4th month now and it is very addictive and performing well

1 - 19 of 19 Posts