Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, i've seen posts on here regarding people not adding a spare wheels onto the extras at time of purchase!!
I don't have a spare, and have the 20'' special edition wheels.

Can someone please clarify.....
Firstly if I order a spare what do I get (not going to be a 20'' special edition!!)?
Secondly how much will it be, either new list or through dealer adding one to the extras on another new car for me?
And thirdly, where will it be stored as we have the B&O subwoofer in the storage compartment where I would think it would normally go?

......oh and by the way, how can you have a collapsible spare wheel!!??

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi, it's an 18 inch wheel with a flat low profile tyre that you inflate when you need it. Your car will already have an electronic inflator and jack etc so all you get is the wheel.

The wheel goes where your sub is and the sub fits inside.

They are £110 when purchased with a new car or £440 ish if purchased separately.

Sometimes they appear on eBay for £250 ish.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I do not thinkk you can get full size spare qith Q5 - it just does not fit into space under trunk floor. I've seen people's DIY solutions to fit regular spare, but this required to raise the trunk flor by more than 1 inch.
So you can have either repair kit or collapsible spare. With the latter option sub goes into spare (it fits inside rim).
Rim is standard steel one ( a bit less wide than regular rim), but tire is special one, that collaps (folds) diagonaly into ~1 inch wide band surrounding the rim. Before use you need to inflate it (with supplier compressor) to normal size. It just unfolds. So by definition it is not so rigid as regular tire and you need to drive with speed of (I think) up to 80kmph to be on safe side.
Standard question I have with this solution is what do you do with regular wheel once you get puncture as it does not fit into space provided :-(

·
Registered
211 Posts
Grrrr. Kramer, you were faster again... And what strange post number coincidence: 333 of yours vs 111 of mine :) (well, probably 112 now :))

·
Registered
578 Posts
Weird, 3 is the magic number. If I had a flat my standard wheel would go in the boot although not great if you have a boot full of luggage but thats rare in my case.

I'm on a course this week which I went on a few years ago so very quick to respond on the forums today

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, so it's ok to run an 18'' for a short time with my normal 20''?
You also said about a compressor....where is this then!!??

Cheers ;-)

·
Registered
433 Posts
compressor can be found in the boot, left hand corner below the tail light behind the accessable cover along with the tyre repair sealant.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The 18 inch tyre has a much deeper profile than the 20 inch, making them the same height so ok to run at same time although limited to 50mph and best to get a replacement tyre on asap.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
compressor can be found in the boot, left hand corner below the tail light behind the accessable cover along with the tyre repair sealant.
Ohhh so you do get a repair kit anyway....didn't know that i'll take a look later.
Just didn't want my wife to get stuck somewhere if she gets a puncture, looks like she'll be ok anyhow!!

Thanks guys, you always get an answer on any topic here (sometimes a bit jokey if it's me though!!! LOL)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't think
I have a repair kit, I searched pretty extensively when I fitted the collapseable spare.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have 2 repair kits, these were only found after I removed the compressor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Apparently on other websites people have had 100mm spacers made and use a full size spare, If you retain the collapsible spare, I guess you have to deflate it to get it back in. There are people who claim to have driven a long way home ie 500 miles ? on these "spare" tyres.

My Q5 is 4 weeks away & will come with collapsible spare, Years ago I had a 4.3 ltr Rover SD1 with 4 carbs (not factory engine) I had 5 tyres fitted at a tyre centre near a hospital, I drove away covering almost 200yds when a medical scalpel went through the side wall of front passenger side tyre. I could have been miles from assistance or worse my wife could have been miles from help without a spare because all the foam in the world is no use with a damaged side wall.

·
Registered
578 Posts
10cm is quite a lot of lift, I've seen the pics of people who have done this mod and considered it UNTIL I lifted a spare 20'' wheel - huge weight to be lugging around. When paying nearly £40k for a car these kinds of mods shouldn't be needed and make the car perform worse and look worse. Plus you still need to get a spare wheel from somewhere which will probably run you £300-£400 anyway.

Also the B&O sub position does not sit right in any wheel other than the collapseable so you can't secure it down and it will vibrate plus the spare wheel will move around. One of the pics I saw had some string holding it in place and towels to keep it in position..... lovely.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Probably me that posted about the 500 mile trip on the collapsible spare - last September around Dijon - took about 11/12 hrs to get home.

I had a boot full of luggage, so the car was in a real mess after reloading with the mahoosive 20" flat - so much so I am buying a Thule roofbox for this years trip, to leave more room in the car.

Didn't know you got the inflator/compressor with the repair kit option, but I didn't get a repair kit with my last car which had the collapsible spare. Not much use if 2 tyres get punctured? I haven't checked the new one, which has the collapsible spare again, but I do carry Tyre Weld as a back up.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lol - saw what you did there, very good :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Probably me that posted about the 500 mile trip on the collapsible spare - last September around Dijon - took about 11/12 hrs to get home.

I had a boot full of luggage, so the car was in a real mess after reloading with the mahoosive 20" flat - so much so I am buying a Thule roofbox for this years trip, to leave more room in the car.

Didn't know you got the inflator/compressor with the repair kit option, but I didn't get a repair kit with my last car which had the collapsible spare. Not much use if 2 tyres get punctured? I haven't checked the new one, which has the collapsible spare again, but I do carry Tyre Weld as a back up.
Glad I did not misinform...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts