Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a wait of seven months, I finally picked up my Q5 two weeks ago. It's a manual 2.0 TSFI SE model with several options added. Here are a few thoughts on the car having covered just under 1000 miles so far.

Ride and handling are excellent (standard 18" wheels fitted).
Power delivery very smooth coupled with an excellent manual box.
Bang and Olufsen upgrade was definately worth it with superb reproduction across the range.
Panoramic roof is the item most commented on by passengers. It's brilliant.
The voice recogition system when used with the telephone directory is amazing.
The adaptive Xenon headlights are very good.

DISLIKES:

The 2011 model year spec. comes with stop/start technology which I absolutely hate. I disarm it every time I start the vehicle.

The advance parking system has one stupid flaw. You have to arm the front sensors unless you have selected reverse. The default in my opinion is that, should the need arise, you could disarm the front sensors (i.e in a car wash etc).

Dont bother to order the TV option. Its rubbish.

The high pressure fuel pump whines to such an extent I had it checked by the dealer who confirmed it was a characteristic of the TFSI unit. It's kind of like you have two turbos on the vehicle. Maybe I am just too picky.

To Sum Up:

The Q5 is a very competant vehicle. Is it the best car I have owned? Frankly, I think the jury is out on this one. For some reason I can't put my finger on, this car has not captured my heart like some I have had before. Maybe with time I will grow to love my Q5.

·
Registered
963 Posts
What did you have before

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair question. Since 2005 I have run the following company cars:

Audi A4 Cabriolet, Lexus GS300, Phaeton 3.0TDI, Mazda CX-7 and a Lexus IS250 SEL.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree that there is something a bit clinical about the Q5. On the face of it there is nothing wrong with the car and its well put together and the engine has loads of power etc, but it just doesn't make me smile as much as my last car. My last car was a Freelander 2 HSE that was great to drive but had a load of reliability problems.

Like you i am hoping that with a few more miles i will get to really like the Q5 as much as the Freelander.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Fair question. Since 2005 I have run the following company cars:

Audi A4 Cabriolet, Lexus GS300, Phaeton 3.0TDI, Mazda CX-7 and a Lexus IS250 SEL.
All a little different to the Q5 but not much. Is it the height thing perhaps.

I will miss my RRS.....but I am looking foward to
some reliability. I'll be smiling at some of the other bills too that I would have been crying
over with the RRS or something of it's ilk.

·
Registered
124 Posts
All a little different to the Q5 but not much. Is it the height thing perhaps.

I will miss my RRS.....but I am looking foward to
some reliability. I'll be smiling at some of the other bills too that I would have been crying
over with the RRS or something of it's ilk.
I have to agree about the front parking sensors - I have mentioned this before but other Audi owners have poo pooed me !!

I guess in all frankness it is what you are used to - I am just not used to arming my parking sensors !!

·
Super Moderator
1,044 Posts
I have to agree about the front parking sensors - I have mentioned this before but other Audi owners have poo pooed me !!

I guess in all frankness it is what you are used to - I am just not used to arming my parking sensors !!
Is there a setting on mmi or via vag com that can turn them on?

Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first time I realised the front parking sensors were disarmed, I went into the MMI to check if it was just a setting change. But no, this is not an option you can change.

When I met the technician about the engine whine, I spoke to him about the front parking sensors and asked if there was a way to for Audi to change the default to "ON". He said there wasn't and then went on to say the front parking sensors were turned off by default to stop constant system activation in traffic. I explained I didn't make a habit of pulling up so close to cars in front in traffic so as to activate the parking sensors on the Audi or indeed any other so equipped vehicle I have driven in the past. This point was not enough to convince the technician that there was some merit in my argument.

Vorsprung durch Technik ....... I think not

·
Registered
90 Posts
DISLIKES:

The 2011 model year spec. comes with stop/start technology which I absolutely hate. I disarm it every time I start the vehicle.
Totally agree about the stop/start. It was on the car I test drove and I didn't like it one bit.
Still it made up my mind that the S-tronic would be best for me and much more flexible IMO.

Just doesn't feel right with the engine cutting out and starting on it's own, especially when you have the B&O system turned up and can't hear the engine anyway.

Perhaps they should have made it optional

·
Super Moderator
1,044 Posts
Totally agree about the stop/start. It was on the car I test drove and I didn't like it one bit.
Still it made up my mind that the S-tronic would be best for me and much more flexible IMO.

Just doesn't feel right with the engine cutting out and starting on it's own, especially when you have the B&O system turned up and can't hear the engine anyway.

Perhaps they should have made it optional
Agree with you there Biffo,had a loaner A5 sportback when waiting for ours.what a total pain in the arse!!! would rather waste the litre of fuel a tank lol.

Rich

·
Registered
963 Posts
Going back to the parking sensors...when I had my first RRS the front sensors were on all
the time. People complained about it beeping all the time. I liked it on because a beep could
mean a pedestrian or a cyclist I may not have seen.

But in the next breath LR turned it off to the same as the Audi version in that if you wanted
front sensors on press the button or select reverse first. So that's what I had on my second
RRS. Took a little getting used to but in the end I didn't mind.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I had it checked by the dealer who confirmed it was a characteristic of the TFSI unit.

classic dealer line when they actually don't know or don't care in my opinion - this is nonsense. Audi QA and Audi Engineering don't just accept these noises as charateristics - they spend milions on NVH testing and would not accept this from a supplier. A dealer is actually not AUDI and therefore are not giving you the official reply imho - I would ask them to confirm the characteristic with AUDI UK and ask confirmation from AUDI AG - otherwise they need to sort it.

Kaine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts