Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Estoril Blue SQ5 much earlier than expected in January (was told May). The other half and everyone I showed didn't get why i'd swapped my "sporty" car (an A5) for a "shopping trolley".

I have to say i wasn't at first blown away by the car as it didn't feel especially quick compared to what im used to. So whether it was peer pressure or madness, I did a deal with audi to swap my SQ5 for a new S5.

I say swap, but ive probably lost of fortune, but the numbers disguise that. However over the last few weeks ive really fallen for the car, its drives so well, has power when needed, and looks fantastic - albeit only I and a few knowing others seems to appreciate its looks and what its all about. The 21 alloys are killer.

So i tried to back track on the S5 (audi think must think im unstable) and they will let me stop the order but won't return the deposit I had to pay to secure it - but will hold it in trust till I buy my next car - £4k!. Problem is I also really want the lava grey black edition S5!

I don't think i want opinions - this forum is not unbiased - but i have a lot of sympathy for why car decisions and waits take up so much time and energy! The SQ5 is definitely a talking point that splits opinions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow, that is one huge dilemma. Hope you end up with the vehicle you want

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Ouch,and bollox to peer pressure ,your £ your car your choice,very annoying tieing up 4k till next purchase,can't realy blame Audi though,lucky the £ being held and not lost,I had a s5 cab b4 and couldn't believe how much petrol I was gettin through,the sq ain't much slower and twice mpg,especially wen u hammer it,I've got a5 3d cab,and love it,but me sq is still a better drive,usually 1st decision is the rite 1,I'd b pissed to in ur shoes,the only thing gonna keep u happy is 2 have both ,lol,c how much stick u get then bout being frivolous ,lol 😄

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the S5 hasn't gone into production(or locked in the factory so can't get cancelled), then you're intitled to your money back. Why is it that they can keep your money?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Thats not true, look at the T&Cs on the back of the order.
They "can" actually charge "reasonable costs" - so its not a bad outcome if he's looking towards an Audi anyway.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Interested.to see the legal position concerning 'Holding your money in trust'... Push harder to get your deposit back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thats not true, look at the T&Cs on the back of the order.
They "can" actually charge "reasonable costs" - so its not a bad outcome if he's looking towards an Audi anyway.
I would say filling out a form which is submitted into a computer...what, an hours work tops? Reasonable cost...£50. £4k is not reasonable. And holding it in credit against a future purchase means you bargaining ability is compromised as you'll have to deal with that one dealership....if you don't like the deal, they get to keep the money.....

S5 is a great car by the way. My colleague had one and he loves it. Lava grey top choice, but then I'm biased a little

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ts and cs certainly did seem to support they could do that or just keep it once the paperwork was signed. I think it's sinter that holds it not one dealership so it keeps some bargaining power alive. However haven't given up getting a better outcome once I decide what to do. The car apparently has to be built per the spec now but they would just sell it

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I would say filling out a form which is submitted into a computer...what, an hours work tops? Reasonable cost...£50. £4k is not reasonable. And holding it in credit against a future purchase means you bargaining ability is compromised as you'll have to deal with that one dealership....if you don't like the deal, they get to keep the money.....

S5 is a great car by the way. My colleague had one and he loves it. Lava grey top choice, but then I'm biased a little
I make no judgement as to what is "reasonable", only that they can withhold money used as a deposit.

I'm pretty sure no reasonable person would agree 4k is reasonable, but if the dealer has to take delivery of the car they could argue they have had to keep it around for a period of time, discount some of the extras to make it saleable to the end customer, as well as losing a potential sale. This is why you never pay big deposits. dealers are in the most reasonable, I'm sure they'll work something out.

I have to say I'm struggling to work out the events.
Driving an SQ5, got bored, swapped for an S5, ordered another S5?
or driving an SQ5, got bored and ordered an S5? so what are you driving now?

in terms of SQ5 losses, its never going to be pretty, trade price is about 35k for a year old car.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
How often do you change your car? Are you prepared to play hardball?

You could tell them you are prepared to let them have a reasonable amount for their trouble but, if they are not prepared to return the majority of the deposit, you will never set foot in their showroom again. So they would be trading off a short-term gain for your potential long-term future custom.

·
Registered
550 Posts
There are many responses to this post, unfortunately, I'll sound like an old man with each of them, so I'll refrain! Good luck with the outcome whether it leads you in the direction of the S5 or SQ5.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I can understand the dilemma, the SQ is an odd vehicle to own, by rights it should be a mumsy kid carrier, functionally capable wheels, typically Audi, quality build and easy to live with, end of story.

After a while it dawns on you that the SQ5 has something that's missing from a lot of modern cars, it has character, it can bumble along and get the job done or pull that lever back half an inch and get its nutcase personality. The engine can massively out perform the rest of the car and that just makes it fun, teetering on the edge of disaster.

The S5 would be a fine car too, its an Audi and that's a given, would it have the same character? Personally speaking with the current A5 platform rapidly nearing the end of its life I'm not sure I'd be ordering a new vehicle now....gee if you burnt that cash at least it would keep hands warm for a few minutes....

·
Still Game
4,610 Posts
The Sq5 is not for everyone and I can understand OP being disappointed with a wolf in sheep's clothing. I can't understand why one would call an A5 "sporty" it is a sheep in wolf's clothing.

·
Banned
289 Posts
I have to say I'm struggling to work out the events.
Driving an SQ5, got bored, swapped for an S5, ordered another S5?
or driving an SQ5, got bored and ordered an S5? so what are you driving now?
My reading of this is...

Original car was A5 3.0tdi....

Swapped for SQ5 in January...

Underwhelmed by the SQ5 / friends and relatives said it was a shopping car

Decided to order S5, paid £4k deposit, planning to chop the SQ5 in exchange

Now decided the SQ5 is in fact, a wonderful wolf in sheeps clothing machine..

Wants to cancel the S5 order. Dealer says he will keep the £4k deposit in trust...

What to do....

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Ok that makes a little more sense.
So given I have both I'll offer my view, that has no overwhelming right or wrong - it's just an opinion.

Clearly this is a Q5 forum, so most answers will be focused that way, no doubt if you post on an A5 forum they would be focused a different way. So let's accept that as a point of principle.

I don't have the S, (but did have a loaner 30T S5 for a while) but I have the RS5, comparing the two is chalk and cheese. I understand where the OP is coming from in terms of feel. The SQ does not feel like an Audi S car, the handling and feel is still soft-roader, not sporty and those that I see do tend to be driven by mums. The platforms while being cousins are poles apart. The ride and feedback given by each are also radically different. Take the RS5 on the twisty roads and it shouts at you to drive harder and faster, but the SQ on the same road it feels unsafe/unstable. The power delivery of the two engines are radically different, the 30T is a gem, it's so much fun - it would have been nice to have it in the SQ (but strangely I doubt we would have bought one if it did as the wife wants high MPG from her car). The SQ by comparison is an out and out motorway crusher, it sits there and eats the miles with effortless ease while having great overtaking power. It's great for the school run, and has that elevated driving position. While I don't agree with Audis stated performance numbers, no one can reasonably argue a 4x4 that's as fast as most hit hatches is slow by any measure.

So for me it comes down to this, do you want a coupe shaped car, or do you want a 4x4?
They exist to address different things/desires.
Do you want a sub 6sec car or a sub 5sec car?
Both platforms are around a year from replacement so can be considered EOL
Both platforms share 99% parts and design in the cabin. How do I decide which key to pick up in a morning? If I want fun and it's more than just me I pick up the RS, if I'm alone I pick up the R8, if I'm doing the school run for more that 1, or a longer journey, or throwing things in the boot I take the SQ, it's simply more comfortable and relaxed. (This assumes the wife's not taken the SQ5 with her!).

Audi S cars are basically Slines with more focus and bigger engines, they are not meant to be in your face shouty.
Bumpers, skirts are shared, changed grill at the front, 4pipes at the back and silver mirrors.

So pay your money, take your pick.
Swapping any car after 12 months is going to be a blood bath - so expect to lose 10-12k

Again, no right it wrong this Is ONLY my OPINION as an owner of the 2 cars.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Underwhelmed by the SQ5 / friends and relatives said it was a shopping car
You know what they say....You can choose your Friends.... and relatives can be exterminated, simples
love your Sq5 and be happy

Reactions: José

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all - some useful input. I wish I could have multiple cars like snow man but think a few years to go first. So I've agreed to progress with the s5 rather than have them tie up my money . The Apr is much better so not a complete blood bath and I do about 20000 miles a year so usually swap every two weeks so can get a new platform next time once they are properly out. Ultimately after my flip flopping the lava grey pictures I saw won me back round.....

If anyone wants a fully speccd sq5 by end of March with 3k miles then I'm sure you'll out do my Part ex price !

·
Banned
289 Posts
Crikey, that sounds like an expensive 3 month trial of the SQ5....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I meant two years !!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts