Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, now that we have had a bit of snow, any news from existing owners to how their Q5's have performed in sludge, snow and ice! Any exciting stories, get mine on Monday, would be nice to know how the all whel drive performs in challenging conditions!! Drive safe!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
No problems Saffa

It's fun watching the BMW drivers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Drove in central London at 7.30am today.

Generally OK but turning into Portland Place it was a bit unsteady on slush.

I have the factory fitted Pirelli Scorpion Verde.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been driving in up to 24" of snow all week and it performs great. Better than i was expecting as i changed from a frrelander with all the fancy traction control settings. If traction is really bad then switch off the traction control. Remember driving a 4 x 4 gives you more grip and traction but doesn't give you any better braking than other cars, brake very gently and leave lots of space between you and the car in front. If only you could leave more space between you and the idiot behind that thinks driving fast in snow is good fun.

Enjoy driving in the snow but be careful.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Remember driving a 4 x 4 gives you more grip and traction but doesn't give you any better braking than other cars
Exactly my experience - getting going is easy, reversing up the drive through deep snow is easy (the other halfs BMW cant event get 10cm up before spinning
) but braking on compacted snow / ice is dodgy as ever plus turning on the same, even at low speed, can be slippery.

brake very gently and leave lots of space between you and the car in front. If only you could leave more space between you and the idiot behind that thinks driving fast in snow is good fun.
I leave even more space in front and keep a careful eye on the rear view mirror at lights / junctions - if there is a [email protected] behind that can't stop I can step on the gas and give him another few metres in which to do so! Go to say that is the one thing that makes me think twice about taking the car out in this weather. I'm pretty sure the insurance cos would argue knock for knock in such conditions if some idiot nudged you from behind. Anyone know if thats the case?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think these days Insurance companies are out to make money.......so whether it's your fault our not you will end up paying for it.
May even be cheaper just to get minor damage fixed and not involve them.

Often 4x4's are heavier so once they start to slide weight will provide acceleration on ice. Low speed and engine braking is the key to driving on snow/ice bearing in mind that you can't see the ice under the snow

·
Registered
64 Posts
To try and avoid any minor damage if someone runs into me i have left the towbar out this week. It spoils the look of the car from the back but might just save a few pounds on damage.

Also comes in handy for towing lesser vehicles out of the snow.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
No problems Saffa

It's fun watching the BMW drivers
So true - watched a 3 series set off yesterday that I knew was heading towards my village and I told my passenger that he would end up stuck bfore he got home and guess what? we ended up pushing him out
The Q5 performs very well in snow and ice but, as mentioned, be canny with the braking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Josh

I think someone rather clever proved a few hundred years ago that mass makes no difference to acceleration, so I think if you're sliding you'll only accelerate if you are putting your boot down or on a wicked slope
Let's hope none of us find out after waiting so long for our cars!

Saffa - I'm right with you on your post, ordered in Feb and sat at the dealers this very minute, waiting for it to be delivered to me in Scotland (damn dealer's in London where the weather is stopping play - mind after all this ime I want it to arrive in one big shiny working piece!) have you considered these Audi winter wheel/tyre deals - I'm seriously considering it but loads of people have posted waiting months?? Hope you have a top day on Monday

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi robbie

I have checked out the winter wheels but seems i would only get them in the summer, so just going for the normal and will drive carefully, hope the snow does not delay your car, has been a bloody long wait, hope it has been worth it!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi robbie

I have checked out the winter wheels but seems i would only get them in the summer, so just going for the normal and will drive carefully, hope the snow does not delay your car, has been a bloody long wait, hope it has been worth it!!
Hey Saffa

Hope the cars great, dealer told me still on track for Wednesday - can't wait!

I've been told 6 to 8 weeks min for wheels/tyres so I may look for some other alternatives, different companies - prob half the price too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are going for a non-Audi winter tyre package, best check with your insuance co first. I bought a lovelly set of 19" Borbet wheels & Yokohame tyres for my Q5. when i did my renewal through Audi Insurance, I was told point blank, that they do NOT insure modified cars. This extends to Non Audi approved wheels and / or tyres. So even if you are changing tyres on the standard rims, they must be to Audi spec. There is a list of approved tyre types & sizes in the handbook.

It would be a tragedy to have someone bump into you & find your insurance is invalid.

Drive safwe

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well i got my q5 yest and its a treat to drive in the snow i ordered seperate wheels and avon winter tyres, i was going through almost 2 ft drifts last nite and it was no problem, i must add if audi do not insure cars with winter wheels and tyres on thats strange as your improving the vehicle in bad weather there for making it safer id say??

will try and get some pics on later

James

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you are going for a non-Audi winter tyre package, best check with your insuance co first. I bought a lovelly set of 19" Borbet wheels & Yokohame tyres for my Q5. when i did my renewal through Audi Insurance, I was told point blank, that they do NOT insure modified cars. This extends to Non Audi approved wheels and / or tyres. So even if you are changing tyres on the standard rims, they must be to Audi spec. There is a list of approved tyre types & sizes in the handbook.

It would be a tragedy to have someone bump into you & find your insurance is invalid.

Drive safwe
Borbet make OEM Audi wheels so they might have difficulty making that one stick if the spec on the wheels are the same

·
Registered
77 Posts
and Borbet also provide German TUV certificates endorcing specific cars. Thus so long as the wheels where designed for the Q5 you should have a solid case.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Rick/Shunter,
Have to say I'm tempted considering I ordered my Q5 winter wheels and tyres in March and I'm still waiting with even more snow forecast for Scotland next !

·
Registered
963 Posts
Maybe it's time the Gov sorted this out. I think it is outrageous that insurance companies can hold you to ransom over a choice of tyre. Especially when it will improve the safety of everyone.

I heard yesterday that Scotland may force lorries to have winter tyres fitted! About flamin' time someone did something about it. Most of the road blockages were caused by jack knifed lorries

·
Registered
963 Posts
Anyone contacted Audi UK and complained about the supply and delivery problems of winter wheel packages?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Anyone contacted Audi UK and complained about the supply and delivery problems of winter wheel packages?
Josh,
I have approached them already and their response was to contact my dealer and check they had 'used the correct procedures to order them'. My next step, if my dealer has no news tomorrow, is to complain direct to Jeremy Hicks. He had an immediate impact when I had a problem with suspension.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't blame you. I would do exactly the same if I had ordered them even a couple of months ago never mind March!

I wonder if Borbet can supply the exact same 17" wheels direct.....

Fortunately I'm not in the position that I have to travel unless I get caught out........got snow socks for that

1 - 20 of 39 Posts