Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as it seems snow is about to hit the southern UK I thought I'd ask you all how well the Q5 copes in the snow. We have recently bought an 09 2.0tdi stronic as the main family car (and very much enjoying it so far) . I have an old manual Hyundai Santa Fe as a workhorse which has proven excellent in winter conditions. With the Q5 is it best to switch the ESP off road facility on when driving in snow on the road (handbook not very clear) and apart from driving carefully is there any other advice - not sure how auto's cope (a previous Merc C was a disaster!). We have Duellers fitted which I believe is a standard summer tyre.

Thanks in advance.​

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hopefully there will be no snow around when I pick up my Q5 in March ;-), but I have to say my A3 Tiptronic was excellent in the really bad snow fall we had in 2010. There is a really steep hill where I live and I just put the car in 2 and it pulled itself up it a treat, once I was up I just put it straight into drive and carried on. I left my ESP on.

·
Still Game
4,609 Posts
The Q5 copes very well in ice and snow. Even with Stronic and summer tyres, I was able to easily negotiate the conditions in 2009. I decided not to venture out for a few days in 2010, manily as I did not wish to risk a.n.other muppet crashing into me. I invested in some winter tyres and wheels and sods law we had a mild winter 2011. The forecast is for some heavy show this week :-(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. looking forward to testing it. It seems people are ok in auto mode with normal ESP setting.

·
Banned
801 Posts
For snow conditions you need winter tires

I do not know where you got that information off the ESP system because then turn off and the ASR system.
Off ESP and ASR system is good for a "wild" ride on the track and that You control skidding car , for other conditions is not recommended.
Of course with quattro drive can never have the feeling of driving as a sport with front-or rear-wheel drive

·
Registered
130 Posts
For snow conditions you need winter tires

I do not know where you got that information off the ESP system because then turn off and the ASR system.
Off ESP and ASR system is good for a "wild" ride on the track and that You control skidding car , for other conditions is not recommended.
Of course with quattro drive can never have the feeling of driving as a sport with front-or rear-wheel drive
Although I have winter tyres, I disagree that you NEED winter tyres to drive in the snow, it depends on how much snow and remember this is the south east of the UK nt Germany or Switzerland. I had a 335i and I admit that was absolutely useless in te now where we live. Could not even negotiate a traffic calming bump. However come the following year we had a B7 RS4 Avant; absolutely no issues even though my front drive Lexus company car could not make it over the 4" mound of snow which had laid around it.

The RS4 had very low profile tyres with a very small tread pattern so I would suggest the Q5 would perform even better on its summer tyres. I completely appreciate the benefits of winter tyres and we were lucky to pick up some used wheels on the heap, however if I had to pay £1500 for a set I would still be using the summer wheels as there is a chance we will have zero snow.

Oh and spijun, because you are rarely wrong, I think Audi do advise setting the ESP to off road mode for driving in snow:

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/q5/q5/off-road-features/esp-with-off-road-mode.html

"As well as allowing sportier driving on the road, the new generation of the ESP (version 8.1) in the Audi Q5 features off road detection. This reprograms the ESP system, the traction control and anti-lock braking system so they adapt to the specific driving conditions encountered in off-road terrain, such as snow, gravel or mud. You'll get good traction in all manner of conditions, the pleasure of a sporty driving style and assured handling - even on difficult surfaces."

·
Banned
801 Posts
Although I have winter tyres, I disagree that you NEED winter tyres to drive in the snow, it depends on how much snow and remember this is the south east of the UK nt Germany or Switzerland. I had a 335i and I admit that was absolutely useless in te now where we live. Could not even negotiate a traffic calming bump. However come the following year we had a B7 RS4 Avant; absolutely no issues even though my front drive Lexus company car could not make it over the 4" mound of snow which had laid around it.

The RS4 had very low profile tyres with a very small tread pattern so I would suggest the Q5 would perform even better on its summer tyres. I completely appreciate the benefits of winter tyres and we were lucky to pick up some used wheels on the heap, however if I had to pay £1500 for a set I would still be using the summer wheels as there is a chance we will have zero snow.

Oh and spijun, because you are rarely wrong, I think Audi do advise setting the ESP to off road mode for driving in snow:

http://www.audi.co.u...-road-mode.html

"As well as allowing sportier driving on the road, the new generation of the ESP (version 8.1) in the Audi Q5 features off road detection. This reprograms the ESP system, the traction control and anti-lock braking system so they adapt to the specific driving conditions encountered in off-road terrain, such as snow, gravel or mud. You'll get good traction in all manner of conditions, the pleasure of a sporty driving style and assured handling - even on difficult surfaces."
Yes, but for the specific driving conditions encountered in off-road terrain, Such as snow, gravel or mud, not off road on the road

The question was: how well the Q5 copes in the snow
I had the opportunity to drive the Q5 to 15 cm of snow Michelin Latitude Sport and gentle ascent I stopped several times due to slipping wheels and I had to go back

Here you have the explanation post #3
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/2069-19-wheels-winter-and-all-season-tyres

·
Registered
433 Posts
As they say it's never the vehicle at fault and driver error!!!!
Or the nut between the steering wheel and seat!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Winter tyres are much better in the cold, damp and wet, never mind the snow.

They are not essential but why compromise? Why not have the best grip you can in all circumstances?

·
Registered
79 Posts
They are not essential but why compromise? Why not have the best grip you can in all circumstances?
Why compromise.....? How about money and making informed decisions? Presumably if you never compromise then you change your tyres daily and also have a "proper" 4x4 in the garage as well as the q5 which as we all know is more of a lifestyle 4x4?

Everyone compromises to some degree and that is based on our own personal views of investment vs risk. Winter tyres always bring up these differing opinions and each person has to judge what's right for them. Just like you don't change your tyres daily because the very small increased risk is not yet worth the investment , do many here do not see £1500 as a wise investment when they have driven in snow for many many years without incident. To me, the £1500 would be better spent in lost earning stating at home so some idiot with winter tyres who believes he's immune to any risk goes ploughing into the side of me and my family.....like I say, each to their own

·
Registered
37 Posts
But it's not £1500. You don't need an extra set of wheels for a start. Also it's not another set of tyres, it's just buying your next set sooner. Two sets last twice as long it not longer. It comes down to cash flow and storage. If you can afford it, it should be a no brained.

Tyres are the only thing holding your £30k plus car on the road, and once it's colder greatly improve braking distances and lateral grip not to mention prevention of aqua planing. The argument that you've been fine before without them is nonsense. I managed to survive before seat belts were law, doesn't mean I'm not much better off when I wear one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
But it's not £1500. You don't need an extra set of wheels for a start. Also it's not another set of tyres, it's just buying your next set sooner. Two sets last twice as long it not longer. It comes down to cash flow and storage. If you can afford it, it should be a no brained.

Tyres are the only thing holding your £30k plus car on the road, and once it's colder greatly improve braking distances and lateral grip not to mention prevention of aqua planing. The argument that you've been fine before without them is nonsense. I managed to survive before seat belts were law, doesn't mean I'm not much better off when I wear one.
I am in no way disputing the fact that winter tyres are safer in the wet/snow/slush/cold but like everything safety related, it is down to the individual to decide if they are necessary or not. Lane departure warning means you are "better off" but is it worth the investment....not for me or my style of driving. But for someone working long hours, travelling 1000s of miles a year on motorways....perhaps

Do you need winter tyres for driving? Absolutely not. Can you drive safely in snow/wet/slush/cold with summer tyres? Absolutely. Do winter tyres mean there's no risk of skidding/aqua planning getting stuck in snow? Absolutely not. It's all down to individual circumstances and your perceived requirements. For me, and I suspect the vast majority of people living in Southern UK, the investment in not worth any perceived return. For Joe Bloggs living down country roads who wants the extra peace of mind for getting to work/shops/hospital if and when the snow is bad enough that he can't get though with summer tyres? Well that's his call.....

·
Registered
433 Posts
In all fairness winter/cold weather tyres have proven there worth over summer tyres regarding stopping and lane changes. As you mentioned is it worth it? My answer will always be yes, I have used winter tyres for many years 30 and more, the road holding even on wet roads are worth the extra money, but again I live in the northeast of Scotland,

·
Registered
79 Posts
And for you living in Northeast Scotland where it's a lot wetter, colder and I guess you get at least some snow every year, your gains are much more than mine.

Out of interest, do you change over to summer tyres or keep with the winter all year round?

Like I say, no disputing that winter tyres are better in certain conditions but it's down to the individual if they see those conditions regularly enough to warrant the extra outlay, storage, hassle

I would guess that most here by pure virtue of them owning a Q5 and being on here researching are intelligent enough to drive safely according to the conditions and the condition of their tyres. What you can never allow for is the other idiot who ploughs into the side of you....no matter what tyres you have on, it's not going to make a blind bit of difference!

·
Banned
842 Posts
I have used winter tyres since buying the Q and find them fantastic, obviously I haven't had chance to compare to driving it with summer tyres. I am with Stanex - you have invested £30-40k in a car, why scrimp on something that may or may not keep you on the road?

I use the Pirelli Snow and Ice Scorpions as they are the only ones that make them for the 20"

Reactions: spijun

·
Banned
842 Posts
You would blister winter tyres driving them in the summer time as they are a much softer compound.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Stranexuk,

I have a set of wheels mounted with winter tyres so I can change as required usually have the winters on for 4 months. Previously I would have a garage mount the tyres every year but this was getting expensive hence purchasing the wheels, I run winter tyres all year round on my land rovers or off road tyres as I hid some heavy work and needed the traction. I currently have 8 wheels mounted with winter tyres for the Q and the A4/Golf/Seat.
The summer tyres stay in the loft of the garage and opposite in the summer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have never used winter tyres on mine. Never had a problem. Guess its down to what ever the person feels comfortable with. Fingers crossed will continue to not have any problems.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi,

I live in Edinburgh and used winter tyres on my A3 Sportback and I would recommend them as I used to stick to the road no matter how wet or icy the road was.

This year I did not get winter tyres for my Q5 after last winter was so mild and i could not justify the costs!

However if it gets really bad I can take the bus and leave my car on the drive.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts