Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Q5 for just over two years and have been absolutely delighted with it.However, Within a month of having it, I noticed a slight problem in that it slipped out of reverse gear if you were going up an incline for more than 50 or so yards at medium pace. This situation only occurred very occasionally and I tended to forget about the it until it happened the next time. I mentioned it in my first service (Mar 2011) and the engineer at the time wasn't able to replicate the problem. It happened a few times over the next 12 months but was quickly forgotten. It's just had it's second service (20,000 miles) and I thought that as the warranty only had a year to go I'd better sort it out. This time, I took the engineer out myself and he was pretty puzzled and said that he had never heard of this problem before. I have been booked in next month to have the gearbox taken out and repaired which will leave me without the car for a "week to ten days". When i asked why they needed it for so long, I was told that they would have to take the gearbox out and check it over and then it would take a few days for parts to arrive after which they would need more time to put it back together and refit it. I think they should fit a new gearbox but I am no expert and I'd be interested to know if anybody else has had this or similar problems and how it was tackled. I would be grateful for any comments.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You're at the mercy of Audi on this one. Make sure they give you a nice courtesy car, request a specific one if you want (Q7?) just say you're looking at a new car and would like to test one while they fix yours.

As for a new gearbox this is probably not needed until they work out what's wrong, it may just be a component so best to let them do the analysis.

I take it your car is manual?

When you get it back test drive the heck out of it in reverse, if it happens a second time Id demand a new gearbox and if it happened a third time I'd demand a replacement vehicle.

Hope this helps, I've had a couple of issues on Audi's and they are normally pretty reasonable as long as you can demonstrate the fault.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comments. Mine is a manual and I am hoping it may only be a small fault with the gearbox which can be easily rectified. I mentioned the courtesy car and was told it would probably be an A3. I added that I would like to have an estate car if possible as we have 2 kids and a dog so I await to see what can be arranged.

Last time I was without the car it was for 10 days for a tow hitch to be fitted and Audi arranged for an A6 S-Line saloon which, although large, didn't really meet my needs. It was very pleasant to drive but totally different to the Q5 and my wife found it quite awkward to park and reverse.

Like you say, I will probably do quite a few miles in reverse after the repair just to give me peace of mind!!!

I'll let you know the outcome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts