Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my new SQ5 from Aberdeen Audi. I love the car, so much better than my old Sline 3.0tdi. It's like a totally different car to drive. We have noticed when we have it in dynamic suspension there is a slight knocking from the drivers side front only. We do have the 21" wheels fitted. It only happens while going under 30 mph on bumps. When it's in comfort mode it's almost totally gone. We had the car back to Audi, they lubricated some areas. Sadly it didn't make any difference.
I just wandered if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Thanks Chris

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
This seems odd as the SQ5 has no dynamic dampers settings - it has 'traditional' lowered suspension... So dynamic in the Drive Select will only change Engine/Gearbox/Steering/Exhaust Note/ACC...
Only thing I can think is it is related to the tighter steering?
Surprised your dealer didn't point this out...

"But there is no adaptive suspension. Audi says the SQ5 was developed around one optimal suspension tune."
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/new-car-reviews/first-drive-review-audi-sq5-20130502-2iv6x.html

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI,
I was under the impression that it also didn't have adjustable dampener rates, So that confirms it. Maybe it is related to the weighted steering in dynamic then. A track rod end or linkage issue. The garage confirmed that it was no safety issue so we are going to leave it for a few months to see if its easier to pin point. Its not too bad, im just fussy as an engineer. My pet hates are knocks and rattles, especially metal parts on wife's hand bag and junk in her door pocket! lol

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mine does the same, random low speed clonks from the steering mostly drivers side when going over bumps, almost too quite to notice and I think some of it is "feel" through the steering as well as actual noise as passenger are less aware of it than I am.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so maybe i am being fussy, I could live with it if it dosent get worse. Will see how it is in another few thousand miles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
we had the same issue on our 3.0 S-line, was found to have a torsion bar issue, dealer removed and re-fitted,re-torqued, noise gone

·
Registered
503 Posts
we had the same issue on our 3.0 S-line, was found to have a torsion bar issue, dealer removed and re-fitted,re-torqued, noise gone
Interesting, what year is your car?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Csimy, please always keep in mind it could be the brake discs as you read in my own topic.
the sound you describe is exactly what it started with in my case. Certainly when you start hearing it from both sides.

Kind regards

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Robin T, its a deep body knocking noise. Its not a metalic noise, hard to explain in words. Applying the brakes has no change to the noise, which you would usualy find from brake related issues. I will keep it in mind though thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
When braking does not stop the noise it will indeed be something else; hope they can find it quickly

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Chris

I also appear to have a similar problem to what you have explained. My SQ5 does not have the dynamic suspension options (select) and sounds as what I can only describe as the sound a loose anti roll bar bush.

It is a very light knocking from the passenger side front at about 25 mph and drives me nuts. I like your self am an engineer and have had the car back to Aberdeen Audi three times with no joy. I am still considering what to do next as Aberdeen Audi offered to go out in their demonstrator and compare this with mine. I took them up on this and there is defiantly a difference. I have not managed to go back to them to discuss this as headed off on holiday the day after.

I will let you know how I get on and appreciate if you could do the same with myself as there is something not quite right.

Thanks Tony

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
I am in Aberdeen too, it you guys want to compare with mine which is knock free - - - - so far!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok my wife had the car back to Aberdeen Audi today. They have come to the conclusion that the drivers side front shock absorber is knocking. Our car has only done around 2500 miles. Its booked back in to get it fixed at a later date.

I was quite disappointed with a discovery I made before a long journey with a loaded boot. I went to check the tyre pressures (cold) and they were all around 42psi on the 21" wheels. I double checked them with two different gauges to make sure mine wasn't out of calibration. That pressures are way over the fully loaded pressures recommended in the manual. I hadn't checked the pressures since Aberdeen Audi had inspected (PDI) the car from new. I know that Audi over pressures the tyres for transit over to the UK. Looks like Aberdeen didn't even bother checking the pressures before handing the car out. I don't think this could have contributed towards the knocking but it is a possibility. The noise is still there with the pressures corrected, just not so obvious. We will see if the new shocker helps any.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Chris,
Regarding the shocker are you feeling anything at the steering wheel, if the shocker is damaged and the wheel is being allowed to "bounce" this will have a damaging wear pattern to the tyre.
If you see some of the heavy artics with air suspension and a damaged shocker the wheel is constantly bouncing and has a ripple affect on the tyre.
Worth taking a look at the tyre if damaged make sure it is also replaced under the warranty

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@ Missile, yes softer and better handling on country roads. Not so bouncy.

@ Doug, the steering is perfect no judder or vibration. I had checked the tyres too, seem fine. Oh i fitted the front flaps, very easy to do with the correct tools. Took about 30 mins. Did you do your rear ones yet?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Chris,

I hope to do the rear ones this weekend,the only way I see to do this is cut to shape and re-glue the mounting back on, I will let you know how I get on and send pictures.
I hope all is quiet onboard and the stack is down......

Doug

·
Registered
529 Posts
Chris,

Can you get it to make the noise if your at a stand still with the engine running and you turn the steering wheel a quarter turn from left to right (or right to left) really fast? Mine has a knocking noise (drivers side) which most times i can get it to replicate whilst doing the aforementioned! I need to book it in but its the previous history i had with Audi service thats putting me off doing so (3 returns to get something sorted every time)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Wilf, No it only makes the noise when traveling slowly over slight bumps. The shocker fault makes sense to me as I trained years ago as a car mechanic, just not heard of one being faulty from the factory before.

I would try your next closest dealer, often some dealers are better than others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good spot Chris

When I get back from offshore this week I am going back with mine to the dealer as its obviously not getting any better. How did you or Audi find out it was the shocker ? Any info would be good so I can get them to check mine also ? Thanks Tony

1 - 20 of 67 Posts