Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am very near to signing on the dotted line for a new Q5, but there is one point I have yet to work out..... Will it fit in my single garage.

I have done all the measurements and compared to my A3 Sportback and it's 5 1/2" wider and 13" longer and although the length is not a problem it's the width and being able to get out of the car that could be the issue. I know I am going to have to fold in the mirrors as I will only have 1cm gap either side with them extended going through the garage door recess, so its too tight to try without folding them.

Does anyone here put theirs into a single garage?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds tight. Are you going to be putting it in and out everyday?

The mirrors don't fold in massively and I think the parking sensors would probably drive me bonkers if you have them

If you are getting it from a dealer, I would ask them to see if you could borrow a Q5 for a few hours and actually test it out. I'm sure they will oblige if it means they get a sale.

Otherwise I would spec the panoramic sunroof and use the convenience open and close function and get in and out of that instead rather than the doors

Good luck!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I will be using the garage everyday.

The dealer was really good at the weekend letting me drive Q5's with different wheels sizes so I can judge the ride, but they don't let you take the cars out without a salesman which isnt very helpful, but its their policy so I have to respect that. As one of the demos had a panoramic roof which was rattling, I won't be going for that option

The other thing is I don't think they are going to give me the massive discount that I have been offered from a broker, so I really dont like using them.

There is someone who lives nearby who has a Q5, so I wondered if he may oblige if I give he some money for a drink

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Strangely enough you don't mention the height of your garage which would be the main factor? It depends on which garage door you have but if you have an "up and over" door the mechanics of it all will not allow you to get a Q5 underneath it - even an electric folding door takes about 2ft from the top of the door for the mechanics. I never considered parking the Q5 in the garage but from looking at it parked next to the open garage door there is no chance it would fit.

I did get my A5 cab in there once but it is VERY tight (the same as you described). I think you are inevitably going to knock the car when parking it, it's just too tight to park in there everyday and get out of the doors without causing damage. Also parking sensors will be useless as they do not work for the final 10cm, I do find the reverse camera very useful as you can see how much further you can go back (usually 10cm) after the sensors do the continuous beep.

If you do have the height to get in I'd recommend putting your own "kerb" in the garage to roll against when you are in the perfect position, you could also coat the walls with insultation so that you don't scratch the doors.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luckily I have plenty of height as I have an electric sectional roll up door that is very compact when its folded and the runner and motor are all away from harms reach.

I used to have a 2004 A4 Cab and that went in with no trouble, I have also had a loan 2007 A6 in there too, but that was very tight. From comparision with my friends integral garage mine is much more spacious, he struggles to get a TT in his!

Its a shame, that my garage is going to stop me having the car I really want, but there is no way that I would never not put any of my cars in the garage.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Q3 it is then

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Q3 it is then
That's what I was originally hoping to have until I saw it. Too Mumsie for me and it feels smaller inside than my A3, so it looks like I have a long wait until the new A3 Sportback is released about this time next year

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes its a pitty all garages are built for SMALL cars, I dont understand why they get away with that!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same issue. About 1 cm to get in. Hence looked at Q3 as an option. But went for the 5 instead. Got the kerb dropped to the front of the house and now park right in front.
We have been doing so much measuring and now feel pretty sure it will be ok, getting in was not the main problem, but wondering If I would be able to get out :)

If I don't fold the mirrors in then I have about 1cm either side between the mirror and the flexible weather seal, so will have more once folded. Physical dimensions inside the garage are quite generous as its quite a bit wider inside than the physical door width, but the one thing that could be a problem is a support pillar for the side access door. We think this is going to be ok, but if it proved to be a problem then we would simply have the door blocked up and pillar removed.

We are going to the Audi Ride & Drive day tomorrow at Cowdray Park, so will be doing some more measurements of our own with the mirros folded etc.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Definately spec the folding door mirrors on your order. I forgot this after misreading "electrical and heated" door mirrors to mean folding. Think its a £200 option on its own or comes as part of the memory seat pack for ?£800. Were looking at just short of £1000 for a retrofit!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definately spec the folding door mirrors on your order. I forgot this after misreading "electrical and heated" door mirrors to mean folding. Think its a £200 option on its own or comes as part of the memory seat pack for ?£800. Were looking at just short of £1000 for a retrofit!
Definitely, they are always the first item I tick when going through the options list

·
Banned
842 Posts
I wish I had!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
When I think about buy the Q5 I have to make some measures too. If you go to the Audi website to the Q5 page you can see all.
One important thing, with the mirrors folding you will jus gain about 4cm (2cm of each side), because the Q5 have a large front and at that point your limit will be the chassis.

·
Registered
503 Posts
When I think about buy the Q5 I have to make some measures too. If you go to the Audi website to the Q5 page you can see all.
One important thing, with the mirrors folding you will jus gain about 4cm (2cm of each side), because the Q5 have a large front and at that point your limit will be the chassis.
Yes we have made all the measurements from the Audi website, plus our own additional physical measurements from the car and we know it will go in fine now, it will just be a bit tight getting out.

We have a couple of support pillars at the far end on the left for a side door. These are what the main problem is, so we are going to get a builder to quote for bricking up the door and removing the pillars. We never use the door and that will then give us a lot more room to nudge the car over to the left which will in turn make getting out easier

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, so i close on my first house at the end of the month and my girlfriend is moving in with me. Don't get me wrong, i'm really happy about it all except one thing. The house only has a one car garage. now i drive an Audi A6, and she drives......well let's just say she doesn't drive a very nice car. She is all whiny about not wanting to have to go out in the rain and cold for her car. i bought her a remote start, but her and that dang dog seem to mean more than my car. who's with me.....wait....i'm a jerk aren't I?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Dude, this is a car advise forum, not a relationship advice site - try www.dearcupid.com

Reactions: Steppy

·
Registered
503 Posts
As an update to my original post I am happy to say my lovely new Q5 successfully fits into my single garage with room to spare and I don't need to loose any weight to get in or out

When we first got home and parked up outside the garage I thought, no way is it going to fit, but thankfully it did

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do you exit via the sunroof?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts