Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tyre punctured whilst driving on the motorway today. Not a blow out but must have been fairly rapid deflation. I didn't really notice at first it just felt like the car was trying to pull to the left very slightly. I only had a couple of miles until my exit and I thought it was maybe a slow puncture but not a total flat so I thought I'd risk it. -- Big Mistake --. About one and half miles later big bang and it was obvious the tyre had totally gone.

The tyre was completely torn apart luckily about an inch of the side wall stayed attached to the wheel and no damage to my 20" alloys.

So now I'm on the hard shoulder with no spare only a tin of foam and a compressor. I was one of the people who didn't realise there was no spare until after delivery and was then told it would cost me ?600 rather than the ?100 if I'd taken it as an original option.

Then the fun starts - AA recovery off the motorway and then try and find a 255x45x20 tyre - Not a chance - no one had them in stock even the Audi garage couldn't get one until the next day. The AA guy was great and started calling people he new until eventually we found a small independent who could get hold of one late in the afternoon.

So my question is has anyone managed to find a collapsible spare cheaper than the ?600. I know they are manufactured by Vredestein and are also used on X5's, Porsche and Mercs. I've tried a couple of tyre places but they just shrug their shoulders and look at you blankly. I'm sure someone must be able to source them other than the car manufacturers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can owners with a space saver spare please post details of tyre size / brand et. We may be able to find an alternative......!

Cheers,

Lee.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Update: Several tyre suppliers have now confimed 'Space Masters' can only be supplied by the vehicle manufactures.

Might be intersting to see what the price is for a replacement tyre from Audi rather than the entire wheel & tyre. By the way the wheel is a 6.5J * 18.

L.

Ps. I might also see what price VW sell them for ~ the same unit is on some of their 4*4's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, for looking folks. Looks like I'll have to try and haggle a deal out of my local Audi garage.

I am thinking about getting an extra set of winter wheels so I will see if they will do me some kind of a deal on the spare at the same time.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Thanks.
Have a look on here - http://www.alloywheels.com/

If you enter the vehicle details in the box top left and then check the wheel specs in the grid at the top, you will see the difference between Q5 and Q7.
The bore size is also different.

I know it's not what people wanted to hear, but better to find out before anyone buys one!

Biffo

·
Registered
963 Posts
That's a shame!

But I'm glad folk with knowledge could advise so promptly and prevent a waste of money.

That seller has a lot of Audi stuff. I wonder if it's worth approaching him/her direct to see if they can lay hands on Q5 spacesavers at a good price?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts