Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was informed last week that my car is now built and is at port (not sure which side of the North Sea) and would I get in touch with the dealership to agree a delivery date.

It is a little earlier than I anticipated as I was given a confirmed build week 2 with delivery anticipated at the end of January or beginning of February. I am at the mercy of the DVLA to a degree as my retention application was only submitted last week but with a good back wind I might be able to progress in a couple of weeks.

My problem is: should I take delivery as soon as possible or does it make sense to delay till the 1st March? Will the registration date have a significant impact on the future value of the car and can I fairly expect the dealer to delay till March?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
On the assumption the earliest in reality will be ~1st Feb for your plate retention to come through, I would wait, it's only a month and does make a difference on future value - not huge, but enough. Plus, you've waited how ever many weeks already, what's another 4!
The dealer will be fine with it I expect, plenty on people have had them hold them longer.

If it wasn't for the enforced delay of the plate though I would say just go for it, you are right on my bubble of how long I would be prepared/able to wait!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Caboncopy,

I am in the same position as you. My Q5 was to be built in week two but is now at the port. It is on the other side and not in Blighty yet. I am going to wait until 01 March as I have been waiting since the beginning of Sept anyway. Call me shallow, but a 14 plate will look better than a 13 and will increase the value when it comes to resale.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had the same dilemma, when I ordered mine in Sept '13 I told the dealer that I would be using my bonus (which i get in Feb '14) to pay for the car. So I wanted to collect the car in March '14 and the dealer was fine with that.

When the car arrived in Dec '13 the dealer was still fine with me waiting until March '14 to collect. But he asked if I wanted to come and view the car...

My advise to you is, if you decide to wait until March '14 to collect your car, don't go and view it...

Waiting months for a car is hard enough, but waiting after you've seen your car sitting at the dealers is almost impossible (unless your will is a lot stronger than mine)

Needless to say I managed to scrape the money together and picked my car up the following week.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Caboncopy,

I am in the same position as you. My Q5 was to be built in week two but is now at the port. It is on the other side and not in Blighty yet. I am going to wait until 01 March as I have been waiting since the beginning of Sept anyway. Call me shallow, but a 14 plate will look better than a 13 and will increase the value when it comes to resale.
Current reg prefix is 63, not 13

Depends how important a number is vs getting the car.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Current reg prefix is 63, not 13

Depends how important a number is vs getting the car.
Especially if you have a private plate and are intending to keep the car for a few years.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you are swapping a plate then I'd get the car as soon as you have the paperwork.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Wait,it's worth it 🔣

·
Registered
233 Posts
Is a 63 plate that much different than 14 plate? It would still be a 2014 car, I can't see that much deference with residules, look at used SQ5 on the Audi site, still can't get my head round how they differ so much in price. ( guess its down to options) Can't understand why you would want to wait nearly three more months to get a car having waited so long in the first place to add three more months to say to Mr Jones next door look at me I'm driving the latest car, just seems daft. Take it now and enjoy. What's a few hundred quid when it come to sell it, thats providing its got the options on it to make that the difference and low miles miles in the first place.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I mean wait 2 more months put that down to the two bottles of wine while making a curry. Still wouldn't wait.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I wouldn't bother waiting, the impact that has on residuals is too small to be make a difference, if any, plus you get an extra month of driving the car! After that wait i would do anything to get my hands on it...

However if you do choose to postpone tell your dealer that you don't expect to see any miles from test-drives etc.!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our car was build date week 2 2014. So hopefully it has been built this week.
May give the dealer a ring tomorrow for any news.
So that will hopefully mean delivery at the dealers next month.
I have already told them not to register it until 1st March. May as well for the sake of a few weeks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Wait, as when you sell it, someone will ask, if it is 63 or 14

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would have it on the road what's the point of waiting until the new reg but some do. The car will still be 2014 what ever way you look at it

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Many thanks for your input - much appreciated

I got a call from the dealer this morning to say that the car had just arrived with them so I took the opportunity to ask him what the impact of not waiting till March would be. It is only fair to mention that he was more than happy to delay registration until 1st March and didn't attempt to push me either way. After making some checks he advised me that the difference in value going forward would amount to no more than £300 - £500 pounds - I thought that sounded quite reasonable and honest unless anyone can advise me to the contrary? He also pointed out - as some of you have - that when the time comes to trade the car in it will be valued as a 2014 car regardless, which it is.

I did get the impression that an earlier trade would be better for the dealer but to be fair he has been very good from the start and he strikes me as being the kind of guy that will look after me when it comes to replacing the car - I do still believe in human faith until someone proves otherwise.

I'm kind of leaning toward taking the car as soon as. I don't have any interest in keeping up with the Jones' regards number plates, in any event it's a private reg, and the financial impact doesn't appear to be huge.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm expecting mine next month and I'm going to wait for what will only be a couple of weeks. Had it arrived already then I would be seriously tempted just to get it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well that does make sense Dogzyboy, I'd do the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts