Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under 2000 miles on the 21" tyres and I get a screw in the shoulder of the rear-right on my SQ5. It can't be repaired as it is so close to the edge of the tyre

So a recommendation - I used Event Tyres, which some of you may be familiar with and I have used previously.

Got hold of the apparently unusual tyre (Dunlop) quickly and arrived promptly/did a very quick and clean job. At £326 a lot cheaper than the £450 my local Kwik Fit wanted to charge...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Bad luck, I feel for you. I do two thigs to mitigate such costs. I try and go for smaler size tyres and in my case it is 20" and I buy a second hand tyre as a spare, so when the inevitable happens, then I use the second hand tyre which costs about 25% of a new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is some very good advice - I might try and do that (if I can get the right make/spec second hand one with very limited wear from a reputable source!) once I've recovered from the wallet pounding! Thanks

This did make me laugh though "I try and go for smaler size tyres" - 20" tyres are not small in my book

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Tyre insurance. £350 covers 6 punctures... Ask Audi about it.

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
Be careful with second hand tyres. You don't want to have one tyre with significantly more / less wear. Audi recommend changing tyres as a set. You do not know if they have been abused. The internal chords could be damaged and it can be hard to tell by examination. I don't think it is worth the risk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
re: tyre insurance - are you talking about the Audi Complete tyres option or something else? I was offered this as part of the service, maintenance etc. offering but declined that part as it didn't cover accidental damage and a few other things, basically it read to me like they would have replaced a worn tyre under normal use (I'm not likely to do enough miles to get through a set to be honest) but doesn't replace a blow out, non-repairable puncture or other things like the above... I think it was going to cost about 350 a year to add the tyres option...

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
No, it specifically covers damage, not normal wear. You can get it from 3rd parties as well, but Audi do offer a package like this. It's been discussed on this forum somewhere in the last few weeks. I keep meaning to go and enquire about the full details myself.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
£350 sounds very expensive when you can cover the who car worth £40K for the same money. I know its not the same, but its an interesting ratio.

I have been buying second hand tyres for about 10 years. I do look at the following before buying.

1. sidewalls for damage or rubbing
2. ensure at least 7mm of tread remaining
3. ensure date of manufacturere is no more than 3 years old.
4. Puncture repairs, max one, but also check sidewalls in case tyre has been run on when flat.
5. shape must be perfect and round.

No problems so far but it saves me a fortune.

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
Save a fortune .......... I don't understand? How often do you buy tyres, say every 25,000 miles. At 12,000 per annum that is a set every two years, hardly a fortune? When you factor in the time to source, inspect and fit second hand tyres, I could earn more than any potential saving. I bought second hand tyres and DIY servicing when I was a young and hard up. Now I can't see the point. but ............ hey ho good luck to you.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bugga ! that's one expensive screw... I really am not looking forwards to changing tyres when it comes the time $$$$$$$

·
Registered
700 Posts
Second hand tyres on a 50K car, not for me thanks, its a no brainer its the only contact you have with the road , so why put second hand on when you have no clue whats its done,
There's always a reason why they sell 6-7 mm tyres and usually is due to being taking off stolen or accident damaged cars !!
I also did the £ 350 pound alloy and tyre package covers any alloy repair and new tyres when damaged, great i thought ! just the cost of 1 tyre

·
Registered
550 Posts
I feel your pain. We had a similar issue with ours shortly after we got it. Replacing a pretty much brand new tyre at a cost of £280 was a painful one to take.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Save a fortune .......... I don't understand? How often do you buy tyres, say every 25,000 miles. At 12,000 per annum that is a set every two years, hardly a fortune? When you factor in the time to source, inspect and fit second hand tyres, I could earn more than any potential saving. I bought second hand tyres and DIY servicing when I was a young and hard up. Now I can't see the point. but ............ hey ho good luck to you.
Missile, I should have explained that I seldom wear out a tyre. Where I live, I regularly pick up punctures and my tyres fails well before its end life, due to nails and stone flints. I am also not as well healed as some, so for a Scotsman like me, every penny counts. Just an attitude thing.

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
Missile, I should have explained that I seldom wear out a tyre. Where I live, I regularly pick up punctures and my tyres fails well before its end life, due to nails and stone flints. I am also not as well healed as some, so for a Scotsman like me, every penny counts. Just an attitude thing.
OK, many thanks for explaining. Look after the pennies is not a bad attitude
Having no spare, I dread getting a puncture. So far (touch wood) in four+ years with my Q5s, I have not had one.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had the same type of incident with my old Q7 when in the south of France. It had 21" wheels on her so big expensive tyres and the screw was in the very edge of the tread / side wall. A local garage could get tyres the next day but wanted something like 400 euros each (yes they wanted to replace both rear tyres to keep Quattro system in check)

Found the Audi dealer who didn't have the tyres in either and would take even longer to get them than the local dealer but they did suggest another tyre company just down the road.

What a good referral, they had no issues with volcanising the tyre and said they do it all the time, charged something like 30 euros!!!!

Drove all the way back and some few thousand miles more before changing them due to wear.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Repaired may tyres when I was in my truck mechanic days, and still do it yet I wouldn't let the screw bother me, new patch on and away you go.
Remember a pedal cycle has tyre pressure of around 70 psi so their patches are fine for small holes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts