Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just picked up my Q5 2.0tdi Sline with High HDD nav pack.

It doesnt seem to accept the full 7 digit postcode to take you to your destination.

Is this right or does it need an update?

Thanks in advance.

Stu.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello,

It doesnt seem to accept the full 7 digit postcode to take you to your destination.

Thanks in advance.

Stu.
That's right

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yep only takes 4 digits and then it needs a street

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Stu.
I know of one lady who had not been made aware of this problem and had the same unpleasant shock. She rejected the car immediately as being not fit for purpose. After further discussion she was reimbursed the full cost of the High HDD SatNav and she accepted the car. Everyone who has not been alerted to this, in advance of placing the order, by the Audi salesperson should do the same.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know of one lady who had not been made aware of this problem and had the same unpleasant shock. She rejected the car immediately as being not fit for purpose. After further discussion she was reimbursed the full cost of the High HDD SatNav and she accepted the car. Everyone who has not been alerted to this, in advance of placing the order, by the Audi salesperson should do the same.
[sup][/sup]As you say, I was not aware of this, pretty poor really. It?s crazy you pay ?2000 for this and a ?150 Tom Tom is actually better.

I am not brave enough to try rejecting the car though. Knowing my luck they would happily take the car back and sell it for more and I would be stuck without a car.

I read in a magazine, I forget which one, that the long term Skoda they were running went to the dealer to have a software update and it came back with 7 digit recognition. You would think that if VW Group can do this on a Skoda then Audi would have it too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Maybe dumb question, but why everyone get so excited about navigation to post code (i've seen it in many forums, not only Q5 related)? Does it point to single specific building, so you can just enter it and navigate to place you want? In Poland we have 5 digits post codes (XX-XXX) and I see no use for it... It just allows to locate area and I still need to know exact address of where I'm going to navigate to. So entering city/street name is equally good/fast. Not talking about fact that usually I know address where I'm going to go, not the post code... So what is this about? Help me understand, please!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Maybe dumb question, but why everyone get so excited about navigation to post code (i've seen it in many forums, not only Q5 related)? Does it point to single specific building, so you can just enter it and navigate to place you want?
In the UK it is much more important to have a correct post code. It pinpoints the search to a specific building or a set of house numbers. It is not always possible to find a place if you only know its street name as some buildings do not have a number - just the name. And if the building name is not listed in the sat-nav search then post code in the only way to find the destination.

I know it is much easier to have street name, building number like you have in Poland, Russia etc...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah...all correct..i found out it is apparently due to someone buying the complete rights to use the full postcode..(not usre if correct or not but would explain)!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes I have heard the same that the makers of the separate sat navs such as Garmin Tom Tom own the rights to use of postcodes on sat navs here in the UK and that is why they are not usable on the built in car sat navs.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes I have heard the same that the makers of the separate sat navs such as Garmin Tom Tom own the rights to use of postcodes on sat navs here in the UK and that is why they are not usable on the built in car sat navs.
But LRs have full post-code Sat Nav! It does make sense in that only Fords and subsidiaries can have element heated windscreens as Ford own the patent.

·
Registered
34 Posts
But LRs have full post-code Sat Nav! It does make sense in that only Fords and subsidiaries can have element heated windscreens as Ford own the patent.
I thought the UK Post Office owned the Postcode database and it was usually an issue around fees for licensing its use? Three digit lookup is probably cheaper to license? Whereas seven digit takes you to a specific set of houses by adding geographic coordinate data and is therefore more expensive (both to license and maintain).

Is the patented Ford heated screen system different to the one I had on a previous Mini (tiny, heated wire elements embedded in the screen)? Was fab in the frost and ice!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I thought the UK Post Office owned the Postcode database and it was usually an issue around fees for licensing its use? Three digit lookup is probably cheaper to license? Whereas seven digit takes you to a specific set of houses by adding geographic coordinate data and is therefore more expensive (both to license and maintain).

Is the patented Ford heated screen system different to the one I had on a previous Mini (tiny, heated wire elements embedded in the screen)? Was fab in the frost and ice!
Sounds the very same. I had it on my LR3 but was told it was only available on Fords or Ford owned motors. I've often wondered why more manufacturers have not adopted something similar.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hey, apols been a while since posted last.

Have to say yes it is disappointing not having 7-digit postcode on the nav but the nav has always got me where I needed to go. So yes painful as also need the street name, but surely you check that anyway (in most cases) as even my TomTom sometimes gives roadname as 'unknown road'

·
Banned
842 Posts
I'd be interested in this as Ive ordered the tech pack high and assumed that a £2000 system would be able to accept a full UK postcode! Think I'm going to ring the dealer. Ours has a build date of 14 Nov

·
Registered
8 Posts
As of right now the 7 digit post code search will be for the 3G + mmi. No known updates are/will be available for the currect 3G mmi.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As of right now the 7 digit post code search will be for the 3G + mmi. No known updates are/will be available for the currect 3G mmi.
Exactly. They won't upgrade the old version. They never do.

Maybe with the facelift late next year...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've just been on to Audi customer service about this, to ask if there was an update avalible or in the pipeline.

Short answer, no, not in the near future.

The man from Audi says its a German car thing. Germany only use 5 digit postcodes, so thats all their satnav systems can cope with. He didnt have an answer when I pointed out that my M3 factory nav has full 7 digit search though.

·
Registered
963 Posts
TBH I've got used to this now and don't find it too much hassle. But an update would be good but somehow I think to get it would mean buying a new car and that is not on my shopping list. So I will cope

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a PITA if you live in London, as many of the postcodes inside the M25 when entered don't allow you to specify a Street (just "Special Destination").
I asked Audi about this over the weekend, they said no upgrade available.

Disappointed

1 - 20 of 46 Posts