Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi/

Wondered if anyone can help me?
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone.

The contract, here in France comes with Spotify.

My nephew has successfully used the iPhone adaptor to control his IPhone in my car as an MP3 player, & I assumed with the USB adaptor that Audi supplied this time, that it would be the same with an Android phone.

It isn'tL

The Audi Music Interface (AMI) says "Not recognized" - Not sure if it's a wiring issue or format/software issue?

Has anyone any suggestions please?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Did you ever resolve this problem?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think AMI is using something called iPod protocol, that is proprietary to Apple devices. Any other device can only be used mass storage mode (like USB stick). So if you put your phone USB connection into slave mode it shoul dbe accessible and you shoul dbe able to browse folders and play music files from there. But that's all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks, I am hoping the iPhone 5 will still work with AMI, will probably just buy one in a few weeks and have a play.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Am slightly worried about the iPhone 5 and AMI.... The new lightning connector on the iphone 5 is all-digital, whereas the old 30 pin connector had analogue audio out as well.

The reason you can buy really cheap iphone speaker docks is that they use the iphone D-A converter and take the audio down the analogue output.

If Audi were lazy (wouldn't blame them as I believe some of the more expensive docks - e.g. Bose also use analogue) and used the analogue output, then AMI might not be able to get the audio. The control element should work fine in any case as that is obviously already digital.

I suppose the the only way to try it is to get a 30pin-lighning adapter and give it a go.

I think it was a logical move for Apple though - the 30 pin connector has been around nearly 10 years and you have to move on at some point I suppose!

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
Thanks, I am hoping the iPhone 5 will still work with AMI, will probably just buy one in a few weeks and have a play.
I would be interested to hear how it works? ..................... before I splash out.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm holding fire on buying an iPhone 5 as I heave read that the lightning adaptor will not work properly on the Audi AMI:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57511834-48/iphone-5-new-ipod-may-leave-some-cars-in-the-dust/

Something to do with the way car kits use analgue and digital signals to transfer music and display/controls - looks like it might just be audio out without the controls, this will be dreadful for Apple if this is the case however I guess Audi will make the lightning to AMI cable but this would take 3-6 months.

I'm sticking with the 4S until October when the adapters come out and people start reviewing on the internet.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Beat me to it Kramer. As far as I can see there is no reason for the lightening connector other than it being smaller - it doesn't even support USB 3.0 which seems a bit strange. Sceptic in me makes me think its purely to make money from new adaptors and peripherals? In general the new iPhone doesn't excite me either and I usually upgrade on launch day. It seems like Apple have run out of ideas and are now starting to fall behind Samsung.

Maybe they spent their design budget on patent lawyers rathers than designers and engineers?!

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's all about space and reducing size, Apple will upgrade an consolidate wherever possible to save mm3 volume space in their phones. If you look inside an iPhone 5 it is 70% battery! Technology keeps getting smaller but batteries aren't following suit, therefore Apple has the same challenge every year of making the device smaller but extending or at least matching the battery life. Lightning just saves them space, the adpator is in fact very complex but is a joke, imagine a speaker accessory - the ipod/iphone rocked back and forth badly enough with the 30 pin, add the 3cm tall connector and that flimsy lightning connector to the top and its going to cause problems.

Apple stock now over $700 on the back of iPhone 5 pre-orders, I'm predicting issues with the phone and a fall in the share price, it's a good short if you're an investor.

Also £299 for an iPad mini isn't going to be attractive when an iPad 2 is £329. The iPad 2 is thinner and better than the iPad 3 IMO, we are going backwards!

I just extended my applecare on my 64gb 4S for £38 - a years piece of mind and I don't think I'll be forking out for the iPhone 5 but will be interested to see if it is backwards compatible. The 4S is a damn good phone too, they ironed out a lot of issues after moving to the iPhone 4 frame/design I use mine constantly, mainly for Podcasts though, hence the importance in getting the AMI working. I can start a podcast in the car, pull up, take out the phone and play the podcast from where I left off (on a walk or in bed etc) and then it remebers it's place when I'm back in the car. I can also skip around with multiple podcasts and music and it always remembers where I've got to, it pauses when I take a phone call (even if a call comes in on a different phone) and it charges, Apple have got this nailed and I'm very happy with the AMI functionality.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Certainly agree with the points there Kramer. Think I'll hold onto the Apple stock I've got in my portfolio for a bit longer though I don't see them falling significantly. Even with the problems with the iphone 4 antenna the stock stayed pretty level. Apple seemed to have created an almost blinkered cult type following and people will buy their products for as much their fashion accessory status as they will their functionality and I can't see that faltering in the short to medium term. They are also expanding into emerging markets more and more which will increase their revenue streams further (potentially still selling old stock rather than iPad mini's or iphone 5's).

I for one will be staying with my 4S and will keep an eye on the Apple forums regarding issues with the lightning connector etc. I just don't see where the phone is worth £500 anymore in the current market place for its limited "upgrades." The only attraction to me is the 4G capabilities and as EE haven't launched their network yet and I'm tied into an 02 contract for the next 10 months their is little point upgrading...

Reactions: Kramer

·
Registered
578 Posts
It is amazing how people follow them and will own the latest item regardless of cost. These things are always cyclical so there will be a hot new brand out there someday but I agree, at $200 cost for an iPhone 5 and $600 sale Apple are good for another few years. If they can crack the TV market and deliver/control content in the same way they have with music you could add 25% to the share price as this is a huge market, an Apple TV without the content or wow factor though will be pointless.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Like you guys, I am also staying with my 4S (64gb). I come out of my 12 month O2 contract in Oct and was all lined up to order my new iPhone 5 last week at 8am with Orange/EE, but having analysed it in more detail last weekend, decided to stay with the 4S.

I still have 12 months AppleCare on the 4S, would need a minimum of 2 lightning adapters (1 for the car, the other for work), in addition we have iPad 3, iPhone 4 and MacBook Pro in the house with various peripherals ... therefore quite pi$$ed off with the introduction of the Lightning socket, at £25 a throw and have decided to retain the status quo for another 12 months and get value for money out of what I already have. Also taken an Orange 3G Sim only deal for the next 12 months with lots more mins/text & data for considerably less £££. í ½í¸‰

I usually upgrade annually with the Apple upgrades, but not this time - I think the product is going stale and the 'wow factor' for me with iPhone 5 was lost on needing to spend a further £50 on adaptors, which are vastly over priced. Also, no guarantee it would work in my Q5.

Will watch from the sides over the next 12 months, whilst 4G is rolled out, iPhones glitches are addressed (Apple maps, etc) and the alternative 'lightning' adaptors arrive on eBay for £3 each!

·
Registered
578 Posts
All good points, I don't think you'll see alternative connectors at £3 each though, there is some very complex circuitry in that little adaptar - it's not just relocating wires it has components to convert signals from digital to analgue - if you look at third party iphone cables alone they are much deeper than what Apple has been able to achieve.

I jailbreak my phones which gives me:
- SMS forwarding, I can't have camera phones at work so I put it in a locker and it forwards all my texts to my work phone
- 3G downloads - on the road I can download huge mp3s, apps and videos over 3G and it tricks the phone into thinking its on wifi

Should the connector work in the car and a jailbreak come through I'll upgrade then. I have seen auctions for iphone 5's ending at £530 for the 16gb so I don't believe all the hype and I think sales will be on target but not vastly better than they have been for the 4S.

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
All good points, I don't think you'll see alternative connectors at £3 each though, there is some very complex circuitry in that little adaptar - it's not just relocating wires it has components to convert signals from digital to analgue - if you look at third party iphone cables alone they are much deeper than what Apple has been able to achieve.
You might want to read this > http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/09/why-you-should-avoid-third-party-lightning-cable-products

1 - 14 of 14 Posts