Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do salesmen lie ?

I have just come back from my local Audi - went for a test drive to confirm a few doubts.

I categorically asked the chap when the next generation of Q5 is coming out. The Guy replied " A new shape car is not due for another 5 years" Lie No 1

Why would they give discounts on cars where demand outstrips supply - Lie No 2 ( I got an 11% discount via a broker)

Maybe he was thinking that it will hinder prospective sales

Which car maker will wait 12 or 15 years before updating the series

Please be advised that good forums like this are a major threat to the business model of the any dealership. I could sense the fear factor when I said I regularly visit Audi forums

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Some dealers knowledge is diabolical ,wen I had a range sport 2.7d and asked if they were bringing out a v8 d ,the answer I got was def not ,so I looks @ q7 ,then 3 weeks later I was told v8 would b available to bye in 6 months,wen I went bak to dealer ,his answer was forums seem to no b4 he gets told ,,!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whilst looking for mine I got the impression that Audi were generally very busy and the product was selling itself. I got some funny answers to questions as if the Q5 was a bit niche and instead of admitting they didn't know, they told me what they thought I'd want to hear. After a few conversations with one ore two salesman it was obvious that they'd done a bit of homework and could sniff another sale as their product knowledge had improved drastically...

·
Registered
814 Posts
Example:
When I was ordering mine, I wanted to be sure my S-line plus would come with standard suspension , as opposed to the harder S-line suspension, the choice is optional.
I went in to see my usual sales rep, but it was her day off, so I got to see HER manager.
I put it to him, as I haven't ticked the S-line suspension box, I just want to confirm that it will arrive with standard suspension.
He asked me which model I'd ordered, so I told him 'S-line plus'
He looked at me like I was a 6 yr old, chortled, and said 'Well then, obviously it will have S-line suspension !!'

I said, that's not what the brochure or your sales rep says.
He went off for 5 minutes to do some 'research' ( i.e look at the configurator) came back rather demurely and confirmed it would have standard.
Clueless.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Working with car sales people day in day out (I must have done something terrible in a previous life), 99% of them have no interest in cars at all. They have minimal product knowledge and think that customers are unintelligent and are cash cows. Hence the addition of Supaguard / Autoglym Lifeshine and Gap at £500 each to the price of every new car without the customer asking for it.

They will say what they think the customer wants to hear and assume they have an equal lack of product knowledge!! Forums are their worst nightmare.

There are exceptions to the rule but they are few and far between. Those that are very good at their job have customers for life that follow them even if they move brand.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Booster

It is like you read my mind - My Local Audi have this product they call " Protection Pack for 1499"
This consist of Auto paint glaze ( whatever the hell that is ) + tyre insurance + Gap Insurance. I remember asking by email for new car quotation and it was automatically added. I was like what the heck is this item.

Do we really need an Auto paint seal to protect the existing paintwork

·
Still Game
4,615 Posts
customers for life that follow them even if they move brand
eh come again ..................... I find it very hard to believe anyone would move from Audi to e.g. Citroen just because of the salesman - sounds like a very bad case of stalking <LOL>.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Salesmen can be so condescending, you need to get In there quick with a few detailed facts to show them you are highly knowledgeable.

As has been said before most of their everyday customers don't have a scooby....so you can cut them some slack..then wrap It round their neck.. tightly

·
Registered
103 Posts
eh come again ..................... I find it very hard to believe anyone would move from Audi to e.g. Citroen just because of the salesman - sounds like a very bad case of stalking <LOL>.
It happens all the time. You tend to find that those that have sold "prestigious" brands stay in that market though.

I'm a victim myself! I've had six brand new Audis and the chap that has supplied them all (with a lot of reciprocal business thrown both ways - I work in vehicle finance) jumped ship to BMW. I was all set to get an A8. He said come and try a 640d Gran Coupe. I was horrified at the thought of losing Quattro but fifteen minutes into a three day loan car I was sold. I still love Audis hence the purchase of the Q5 for my wife but (and I do feel like a blasphemour for saying it on here) the BMW is the best car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
103 Posts
No RS models unfortunately!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
That was exactly it. The steering feedback. No dead feel and I actually know what the car is going to do. Oversteer is so much more fun than understeer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts