Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, How is everyone getting on with the S-Tronic and the lag at take off. It feels sometimes as though the accelerator pedal isn`t working or not connected to the car. IE nothing happens.
Anyone taken it up with a dealer at all.
PS Rich (Rapidcool) how are you liking yours don`t hear much from you now.
Regards Neil.

·
Super Moderator
1,044 Posts
Hi all, How is everyone getting on with the S-Tronic and the lag at take off. It feels sometimes as though the accelerator pedal isn`t working or not connected to the car. IE nothing happens.
Regards Neil.
Hi Neil,

been real busy with work over the last few weeks,have you missed me then? lol

All good here mate no complaints here,dont seem to experience the lag on take off,its more when you turn a corner and its seem slike its not sure what gear to be in.its not a problem tho.

Car is more than expected just dont get to drive it enough!

Rich

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Regards Neil.
Hi Neil,

I'm loving the S-Tronic. No real lag at any stage even in Drive and it flies in Sport - not that I feel the need to use it in Sport.

I think you got yours a little bit before me so I wonder if you are on the latest firmware version?

Cheers,

Kev

·
Registered
29 Posts
Neil I have a 2.0 TDI S-tronic got it January this year and I find from a standing start there appears to be about a 1 second delay from when you put your foot down to when the car actually moves.
This can be a little bit scary especially if your trying to nip out into traffic. Other than this I don't have any other real issues with the S-tronic.

Is this the same type of thing you are experiencing. Never had an automatic before so just kinda thought this was normal.

Patch

·
Registered
45 Posts
Regards Neil.
Hi Guys,
This problem has been discussed here before and it's basically down to turbo lag...
Some of us have found that this issue becomes less of a problem when the gearbox is in Sport mode, otherwise it's just a matter of adjusting your driving style...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a car that was built 2 weeks ago and have the same issue so it has not been fixed. It only occurs when starting from a complete standstill - if you are rolling, even the tiniest amount, the take off is perfectly fine - but if you are at a standstill, there is defintley a 1 or 2 sec lag before it responds which as a previous poster has noted is very disconcerting / dangerous at roundabouts. I try to work around this by anticipating the gap in the traffic and releasing the brake so I roll every so slightly and then press the accelerator - but it still catches me out once a day at least.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a car that was built 2 weeks ago and have the same issue so it has not been fixed. It only occurs when starting from a complete standstill - if you are rolling, even the tiniest amount, the take off is perfectly fine - but if you are at a standstill, there is defintley a 1 or 2 sec lag before it responds which as a previous poster has noted is very disconcerting / dangerous at roundabouts. I try to work around this by anticipating the gap in the traffic and releasing the brake so I roll every so slightly and then press the accelerator - but it still catches me out once a day at least.
I have the 2.0TDi S-Tronic and find no problem at all, I am intrigued to know if the people with problems press the accelerator down quarter, halfway or floor it?

Maybe try a gentle progressive pressure and let the engine catch up until the turbo gets spinning. My car is 4 weeks old and must be programmed the same as yours so I assume it must be down to driving style. I was once told by a Volvo Technician that their ECU adjusts to suit driving style so maybe Audi is the same!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is this just a thing with S-Tronic on Diesel versions or have people with petrol engines had this lag also?.
Is there any more noticeable turbo lag on the diesel TDI than the petrol TFSI ?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Is this just a thing with S-Tronic on Diesel versions or have people with petrol engines had this lag also?.
Is there any more noticeable turbo lag on the diesel TDI than the petrol TFSI ?
Not having tried it yet of course....I suspect it's a diesel thing. I had the same issues on my TDV6 and TDV8
RRS's initially until I had some tinkering done
and then they flew from a standstill

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the 2.0TDi S-Tronic and find no problem at all, I am intrigued to know if the people with problems press the accelerator down quarter, halfway or floor it?
I've tried everything from gentle to floor and it doesn't help. I'm not sure I can describe it any better than I have done but I'll try-

Arrive at roundabout entrance and have to come to a complete stop, hold car on brake.
See a gap coming and want to move into it.
Push accelerator, car crawls forward slowly
...car keeps crawling forward...
1-2 sec later and whoosh it suddenly takes off

Those 1-2 sec are enough to confuse the cars behind me, on the roundabout- and me!

It doesn't happen if the car is already crawling forward when you squeeze the throttle, then the take off push is instantaneous. Thus, this screams software problem to me rather than turbo lag. As mentioned, I work around this by trying to anticipate the gap, letting the car roll a little and then squeezing the throttle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've tried everything from gentle to floor and it doesn't help. I'm not sure I can describe it any better than I have done but I'll try-

Arrive at roundabout entrance and have to come to a complete stop, hold car on brake.
See a gap coming and want to move into it.
Push accelerator, car crawls forward slowly
...car keeps crawling forward...
1-2 sec later and whoosh it suddenly takes off

Those 1-2 sec are enough to confuse the cars behind me, on the roundabout- and me!

It doesn't happen if the car is already crawling forward when you squeeze the throttle, then the take off push is instantaneous. Thus, this screams software problem to me rather than turbo lag. As mentioned, I work around this by trying to anticipate the gap, letting the car roll a little and then squeezing the throttle.
Well described dnw,
For me, I did not spend this much on a car to have to change my driving style to suit it. With previous autos no problem just point and go.
At junctions now it is definitely a big gap before I go as I have had numerous occurrences when hit the gas and nothing happens and having to break again as a last resort.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Does this problem only affect the 2.0 Tdi?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've got plenty of roundabouts to practice on

Reactions: DCA

·
Registered
28 Posts
I sold my 2.0FSI TTS S-Tronic recently, owned from new. Nearly had an accident when I collected from dealer, problem exactly as above. The gear paddles were a novelty for me so I persevered. After 1000 miles when I sold it, the problem was still there. "Thats how it works" was response from dealer. Hope the Q5 with V6 diesel is a little easier to handle when pulling away. Wont be using paddles much when Q arrives, just let it do its own thing.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Maybe that explains why I could initially out accelerate from a standstill an Audi RS in my diesel RRS lol....... Until it got going and left me for dust

·
Registered
240 Posts
Shifting into "S" mode for quick take off's cures the lag - but doesn't cure the frustration!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys,

Seems not many of you are familiar with the differences between a gasoline and a diesel engine.
Diesel engines work by requiring pressure to increase inside the fuel filled chamber as the piston compresses the fuel.
As pressure increases, so does heat. This heat spontaneously ignites the diesel fuel and you get expansion.
The explanation alone shows that more time is required before ignition, unlike a gasoline engine that has a spark plug, and hence the diesel lag.
Now, if you add a turbo into the whole equation, you will get even more lag.

Hope that helps.

It will take only about 2 weeks of getting used to before you know to ease onto the accelerator 2 seconds before actually needing it!

Cheers!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do not buy polapatl's post... Diesel engine at any given rpm makes same number of cycles as gasoline one... means process you described takes place several thousands times per minute (10-80 times per second). No way it makes 1~2 second lag at acceleration.
But the whole post makes me a bit scarry. I'm just about to order 2.0 TDi (170bhp) with S-tronic and definitely do not want to be stuck at crossing :) Is this just few people's problem or very common one? I think this engine is quite popular, so we should get more feedback on this issue...

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you do some research you'll soon realize that the lag has nothing to do with fuel type. And as you correctly point out, a few extra milliseconds in combustion burn time does not translate into a half second lag. I certainly wouldn't be basing your choice of fuel type on transmission lag.

To be honest the lag is not that bad and you can always either slip into S mode or just load up with your foot on the brake when you know that you need a rapid getaway.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts