Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had the beast for a week now and love it. There is a niggle but don't know whether it's a niggle or a 'feature', hopefully someone else will have an idea. Car is a 2.0L TFSI S tronic with hill hold assist. Some of the time when I pull away from stationery there is a 'clunk, clunk' noise. It happens within 1-2 seconds of moving away and seems to only happen when hill hold assist is on. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it does or doesn't happen but I'm not convinced it's meant to happen. My previous A3, s tronic with hill hold assist didn't make any noise whatsoever - though the HHA wasn't something you had to switch on/off, it was just always on.

Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi all,

I've had the beast for a week now and love it. There is a niggle but don't know whether it's a niggle or a 'feature', hopefully someone else will have an idea. Car is a 2.0L TFSI S tronic with hill hold assist. Some of the time when I pull away from stationery there is a 'clunk, clunk' noise. It happens within 1-2 seconds of moving away and seems to only happen when hill hold assist is on. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it does or doesn't happen but I'm not convinced it's meant to happen. My previous A3, s tronic with hill hold assist didn't make any noise whatsoever - though the HHA wasn't something you had to switch on/off, it was just always on.

Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

Thank you
Hi mate,

I have 2010 build since middle of May and always use HHA, mainly as it was always on by default on my old T'reg. Sounds as if the HHA is not disengaing quickly enough perhaps. I have a creaking sometimes when it comes on but I put this down to moving at very low speed before it actually kicks in. Perhaps a little trip to the dealer and a whizz round the block with a mechanic may help

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob,

I think I'll have to go to the dealer. The problem is the noise is intermittent and sod's law will dictate it won't happen when you want it to. I didn't use HHA at all today and maybe heard the noise once or twice so I really don't know what to think. The clunk doesn't coincide with gear changes either - all in all a bit ambiguous, argh!

My initial thought was that HHA wasn't fully engaged before I drove off hence the 'clunk'. Who knows, lol.

Looks like a little trip down to the dealer for me then.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks Rob,

I think I'll have to go to the dealer. The problem is the noise is intermittent and sod's law will dictate it won't happen when you want it to. I didn't use HHA at all today and maybe heard the noise once or twice so I really don't know what to think. The clunk doesn't coincide with gear changes either - all in all a bit ambiguous, argh!

My initial thought was that HHA wasn't fully engaged before I drove off hence the 'clunk'. Who knows, lol.

Looks like a little trip down to the dealer for me then.
Interesting...never had HHA or an auto before but I had the clunking noise on day 1 (on day 4 now) but noticed it only happened when on a good slope rather than gentle one. Have to admit i have turned HHA off as cant get used to it. However only had the clunk once out of poss 4 uses of it. Let me know what dealers say

·
Registered
480 Posts
Muststopspeccin....any updates at all? Are you still getting the clunky noise? I have now noticed it is intermittent...not sure tho' if this is a fault or just how it is as you mentioned above?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't been to the dealer yet. This week I've barely used HHA and barely heard the noise. When I first drive off a 'clunk' is noticeable and it occurs around the same time as the doors lock. I'll switch on HHA tomorrow and see how I fair then. Because the problem is intermittent I'm a bit loathed to visit the dealer as it stands - sod's law will dictate they don't hear it. I'll let you know what happens

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had this problem on a loan A5 I had for a few weeks, scared the crap out of me!

I mentioned it to a Technician who shrugged his shoulders and said sounds like one brake calliper is holding on too long!

I would get it into the dealer ASAP as it sounds like it is certainly doing some damage.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had this problem on a loan A5 I had for a few weeks, scared the crap out of me!

I mentioned it to a Technician who shrugged his shoulders and said sounds like one brake calliper is holding on too long!

I would get it into the dealer ASAP as it sounds like it is certainly doing some damage.
OK being naive here...when HHA activates is it just basically applying the handbrake? Then as ypu drive off releasing it?

If so would you not hear the same noise when releasing the handbrake if it was the caliper holding on? I really dont know hence asking?

Personally...i would prefer the conventional handbrake :)

Anyway I will pop HHA on tomorrow and see what happens then take off and use handbrake etc...

·
Registered
70 Posts
No HHA applies the main disc brakes not the parking brake. You can hear this happen some times when you crawl forward very very slowly. The car thinks you have stopped and the brake judders on. I really like HHA and is on all the time. Saves keeping your foot on the brake at lights and good for a quick get away.

·
Registered
480 Posts
No HHA applies the main disc brakes not the parking brake. You can hear this happen some times when you crawl forward very very slowly. The car thinks you have stopped and the brake judders on. I really like HHA and is on all the time. Saves keeping your foot on the brake at lights and good for a quick get away.
So do you get the metallicy/clunking sound?

I had HHA back on yesterday and intermittantly it makes the sound when releasing as your driving off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes I do. Not very often and as commented no real pattern to it. I must admit it doesn't really annoy me or cause any problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I do. Not very often and as commented no real pattern to it. I must admit it doesn't really annoy me or cause any problems.
I'm going to try to call into the dealer tomorrow in the hope a mechanic can offer me their opinion. I haven't used HHA for the last 48 hours and haven't heard a single 'clunk'. The noise is definitely 99% confined to times when HHA is on - thinking about the other times (non-HHA), the noise has definitely occurred when I've been crawling forward very slowly.

Fingers crossed it isn't anything but figure it's definitely worth a trip to the dealer. I really like HHA too so want to start re-using it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to try to call into the dealer tomorrow in the hope a mechanic can offer me their opinion. I haven't used HHA for the last 48 hours and haven't heard a single 'clunk'. The noise is definitely 99% confined to times when HHA is on - thinking about the other times (non-HHA), the noise has definitely occurred when I've been crawling forward very slowly.

Fingers crossed it isn't anything but figure it's definitely worth a trip to the dealer. I really like HHA too so want to start re-using it
Did you fix it? I have exactly the same problem, but I have been this morning at the dealer and they are not able to reproduce the noise, therefore no fix...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you fix it? I have exactly the same problem, but I have been this morning at the dealer and they are not able to reproduce the noise, therefore no fix...
My car is booked in for next Friday so fingers crossed we'll get to the bottom of it. It took a while before the noise reproduced when I took the mechanic out but finally it appeared. The mechanic said he felt it was more of a 'switch' noise rather than a clunk. Obviously I'm not a mechanic but it sounds much heavier/more solid than a switch. I'll let you know how I get on - it may help with your dealer

·
Registered
3 Posts
My car is booked in for next Friday so fingers crossed we'll get to the bottom of it. It took a while before the noise reproduced when I took the mechanic out but finally it appeared. The mechanic said he felt it was more of a 'switch' noise rather than a clunk. Obviously I'm not a mechanic but it sounds much heavier/more solid than a switch. I'll let you know how I get on - it may help with your dealer
Thanks a lot for your reply, we weren?t able to reproduce the noise, therefore the mechanic was not able to identify the source. The noise has not appear in the last 3 days, hopefully vanished, but I doubt it. I found out from another forum that it may be caused by some metalic covers in the botton of the car when they get hot a cause a ramdom noise when vibrating similar to a broken transmission o damaged shaft... It is not a major failure, only a manufacturing problem easily repairable, but not 100% sure yet- Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a lot for your reply, we weren?t able to reproduce the noise, therefore the mechanic was not able to identify the source. The noise has not appear in the last 3 days, hopefully vanished, but I doubt it. I found out from another forum that it may be caused by some metalic covers in the botton of the car when they get hot a cause a ramdom noise when vibrating similar to a broken transmission o damaged shaft... It is not a major failure, only a manufacturing problem easily repairable, but not 100% sure yet- Good luck with yours!
My dealer had my car last Friday but we're no further forward really. They don't believe the noise is anything out of the ordinary and that all make the same noise. Apparently the car will make a louder 'clunk' when using HHA on the flat rather than on a hill due to the pressure applied by the brakes. I'm not unhappy really because the dealer has everything on record just in case it does turn out to be something.

On a good note, they did replace a duff lightbulb over the number plate

·
Registered
963 Posts
Attention to detail can't be bad

·
Registered
480 Posts
Update from me....so finally had my car in for couple of days with minor teething problems but also mentioned the HHA! Mine makes a metallicy noise now and then nothing regular etc. It has once made a clunky noise. So dealer had a play and luckily it replicated.

So...to the point. Audi are aware of the problem and it is at factory level awaiting a fix from Audi so dealer can do nothing. So my car is 'on file' and I will be contacted whenever a fix is found!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I hope that they do a recall once a solution has been found

1 - 20 of 21 Posts