Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just joined the forum and have just ordered a new S-Line Special Edition thats already in the country, so spec is already fixed. One thing i'm missing out on with not factory ordering is AMI. I asked the dealer if they could retro-fit this, but they came back saying that it wasn't possible due it having bluetooth, DAB and B&O. Are they tellng me porkies, or is this true?

If its not possible, i guess i'll have to just go down the Dension route?

Cheers,
Doug

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi, I've got B&O, (mustn't forget the & sign), DAB and the AMI but it was factory built like that.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to be possible with a factory order (as you've confirmed Bigmac). I'm wondering if there's any difference in the components, harnesses or glovebox used at the factory which makes it not possible as a retro-fit?

Anyone more knowledgeable than me able to confirm this?

Cheers....

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sounds like they are fobbing you off to me, there are third parties which will retro fit genuine AMI for around £400 - B&O shouldn't make any difference as I had AMI in my old A5 with B&O and Bigmac is a better example of how this can be added to the Q5 with B&O etc.

I didn't order AMI with the Q5 as I wasn't that impressed with the stereo quality from iPhone to AMI however if you plug a big HDD in it does then become very useful and the sound quality is really good- when ordering the Q5 I bought a 32gb SD card which is fine for my needs, saved £250 and don't regret not adding it - take a look at my other post about adding Bluetooth to your car (for mp3 streaming) for just £70!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I think we're all of the same opinion that they are indeed fobbing me off. I guess if they aren't interested in taking on the work then I don't particularly want them taking my car to pieces anyway!

I'll maybe just see how I get on with the SD card for now & try another dealership / retro fitter if I decide I need the AMI.

As for bluetooth streaming, I might look into that. The car's coming with bluetooth, but I don't think it does streaming. I'll take a look at your posts though, cheers!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Dogzyboy - I am selling a streaming device, PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I'll maybe just see how I get on with the SD card for now & try another dealership / retro fitter if I decide I need the AMI.
To be honest I think that once you have tried the SD card you won't bother about connecting your iPhone/iPod. There are lots of posts on the forum on the subject matter and I think it is fair to say that decent quality source material on a SD card will out perform an iWhatever every time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have to agree with CarbonCopy. My iPhone/iPod has hardly been connected since I tried the SD Card, and I don't know why, but the sound quality is superior!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Regarding sound quality; music on SD is purely in digital format, so all MMI doe is to send it to DAC to convert to analog and then sends to amplifier. In case of AMI it gets more complicated. iDevices are keeping music in digital format, but do not have digital otput (dock connector does not allow for digital transmission, only analog). So iDevice converts it to analog signal using its own DAC and sends analog signal to MMI. MMI reads analog signal, but does not just amplify it; instead it converts it back to digital using own ADC for further processing (treble/bass and any DSP you have - simple in case of just MMI or more advanced in case of B&O). Once processed it send signal again to DAC to convert to analog and then sends to aplifier. This additional digital to analog and analog to digital conversion that take place in the middle has to degrade signal quality.
I'm affraid that if you stream from iDevice to MMI using BT AD2P profile situation is similar, though conversion from digital to anaog take place in BT dongle connected to MMI via AMI cable instead of iDevice... though I'm not sure as I do not know full AMI specification, it might support digital transmission in this scenario (taking into consideration that you can connect also digital media like USB drive via AMI).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts